COP conversion 96 cobra- FINISHED

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Re: 98 cobra engine, COP conversion.

i have 2004 fuel rails and 2004 wiring harness for sale ;-)

stephen4036

Reaction score

MustangChris said:
i have 2004 fuel rails and 2004 wiring harness for sale ;-)

he doesnt need the fuel rail, i used the stock 98 rail but its afro-rigged. as for an 04 harness IDK with all the super charger components on it.

OP
OP
D

danielson631

Reaction score

massacre said:
I just put my coil backs in the back - no messy wires in front and I get to keep the more reliable wires.
I thought about going COP after my C-head swap but I can't justify the cost of the new cam covers and COPs and wiring, just to go with a less reliable ignition system that looks nice.

ive never read anywhere that COPs are less reliable then coilpacks and wires.

plus, the coils are pretty damn heavy, removing them and the wiring/brackets will save on weight to.

stephen4036 said:
bahaha dont buy that guy's harness..

why wouldnt i buy it? makes things so much easier and id ont have to cut into the factory harness

and just to be clear i have a 1996 cobra, with a 98 motor

and whats this about a fuel rail? do i really need a different one?

this got pretty confusing pretty fast

stephen4036

Reaction score

danielson631 said:
massacre said:
I just put my coil backs in the back - no messy wires in front and I get to keep the more reliable wires.
I thought about going COP after my C-head swap but I can't justify the cost of the new cam covers and COPs and wiring, just to go with a less reliable ignition system that looks nice.
I thought u had 99-04..

plus, the coils are pretty damn heavy, removing them and the wiring/brackets will save on weight to.

stephen4036 said:
bahaha dont buy that guy's harness..

why wouldnt i buy it? makes things so much easier and id ont have to cut into the factory harness

and just to be clear i have a 1996 cobra, with a 98 motor

and whats this about a fuel rail? do i really need a different one?

this got pretty confusing pretty fast

I thought u had 99-04.. my bad, nevermind.

Mystic SVT

Reaction score

I bought a harness from the guy on svtp.com also and it is well built. Just buy the harness, it takes about ten min to hook up after you've swapped the valve covers.

All you need for the conversion is:
99-04 DOHC valve covers
COP's
COP Harness
New valve cover gaskets (but yours might be good since your engine isn't very old)

massacre

Reaction score

danielson631 said:

I've never read it anywhere either.
I am going by my own personal experience... :<)

And not sure what coil packs you have, but mine aren't that heavy, couple pounds apiece maybe. Custom aluminum brackets, not factory steel, and wires don't weigh much either.

I may do a write-up on this, depends on how many people are interested in learning how to do it VS how many people want to ridicule me for doing it. :thefinger:

OP
OP
D

danielson631

Reaction score

doooo it i was wondering how you did it and im sure other people will find it useful if you make a write up. got a quick pic???

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

massacre said:
danielson631 said:

I've never read it anywhere either.
I am going by my own personal experience... :<)

And not sure what coil packs you have, but mine aren't that heavy, couple pounds apiece maybe. Custom aluminum brackets, not factory steel, and wires don't weigh much either.

I may do a write-up on this, depends on how many people are interested in learning how to do it VS how many people want to ridicule me for doing it. :thefinger:

i think you should do it because keeping options open for our members is always a good idea. ridicule or not.

this is the internet, so there will always be different strokes for different folks.

also, i just mailed my OEM coil packs. and they weighed more than the CAI i was sending with them. LOL! altough i dont think the 8 pounds (or whatever they are) will make a big difference vs. the 2 pounds the COPs weigh...

I find COPs much much much more cosmetically pleasing than the packs+wires. and i looked into doing a COP swap on my 2v as well, but was discouraged at the work. if he can do this on his 4v with a simple harness, i say do it! :-D

Gallows

Reaction score

massacre said:

I would be interested in seeing pics and a writeup on what you did.

massacre

Reaction score

danielson631 said:
doooo it i was wondering how you did it and im sure other people will find it useful if you make a write up. got a quick pic???

Let's see......

This one should give you the jist of it :

Obviously this is not finished but that's all I have for pics at the moment.
This was the first incarnation, the design has changed several times since then .

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

those are crappy motorcraft CPs? yuck! buy my screamon' deamons! :-D and taylor wires ;-)

massacre

Reaction score

MustangChris said:
those are crappy motorcraft CPs? yuck! buy my screamon' deamons! :-D and taylor wires ;-)

In my experience the stock coil packs are adequate for most power levels. One of the few times when the factory part is actually made well.

Do you have any before/after dyno sheets proving that those aftermarket coil packs gained you any HP?
I'm not wasting my money on that crap - lots of money for no gain IMHO.
Factory coil packs and decent wires are more reliable and cheaper to replace than COPs.
Plus I bet your wires are red....

OP
OP
D

danielson631

Reaction score

nice any pics of it all finished?

also, i forgot where i read it, ill look for it again but iheard screamin deamons were no good.

im currently using DURALAST. i hate duralast products/ tools. they are pure garbagem IMO.

massacre

Reaction score

Sorry, no pics of it installed.

OP
OP
D

danielson631

Reaction score

kind of off topic, but its my own thread so who cares lol. i have a quick question reffering to something else in the bay, that im not sure what it is.

not that i want to remove it i just would like to know what it is.

HPIM0232.jpg

also, whats this for? located in the pass side against the firewall.

HPIM0242.jpg

again doesnt really matter what they do im just curious to know for my own knowledge.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

i ****beleive**** the second thing (looks like a roll of quarters with two hoses in the top) is your fuel vapor valve. When your car heats up to normal temperatures the carbon canister in you passenger side fender opens up using that valve. When it opens, excess fuel vapors from your gas tank flow into your intake, thus getting burned off.

the top box is clearly a flux compastitor.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

massacre said:
MustangChris said:

In my experience the stock coil packs are adequate for most power levels. One of the few times when the factory part is actually made well.

Do you have any before/after dyno sheets proving that those aftermarket coil packs gained you any HP?
I'm not wasting my money on that crap - lots of money for no gain IMHO.
Factory coil packs and decent wires are more reliable and cheaper to replace than COPs.
Plus I bet your wires are red....

geez talk about ridicule now, eh?

and no. they are black. and they are so well insulated that the dyno shop had to go directly to the engine harness to get my RPMs ;-)

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

danielson631 said:
MustangChris said:
the top box is clearly a flux compastitor.

LMAO :laughing4:

looks like it has brake lines going to it... ABS junction box??? my car doesnt have ABS, so i dono. lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.