COP conversion 96 cobra- FINISHED

OP
OP
D

danielson631

Reaction score
Re: 98 cobra engine, COP conversion.

thanks guys ok i have another one for yous.

what is the long tube that goes from the right side of the intake manifold to the intake tube? and whats the purpose of that little box thing attatched to it. i think it looks hideous. i couldnt find anything about it in the haynes manuel but not sure what its called

HPIM0193.jpg

greenscobie86

Reaction score

Thats the IAC tube.

You need that also otherwise your car wont idle. I'm sure you can reroute it to look much cleaner though.

Also(just an observation) you could probably clean up the ignition wires some as well.

OP
OP
D

danielson631

Reaction score

ok i figured it had something to do with that, since i forgot to put it back on once and the car wouldnt stay running.

does that little box have a function, or even something inside of it? doesnt seem to open. but yes i thought about maybe re routing it with a whole nother hose, without the ugly box thing. i will experiment with it.

what do you mean clean up the ignition wires? as in straighten them out/lengthen them? not to worried at this point since they will soon be removed lol

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

danielson631 said:
ok i figured it had something to do with that, since i forgot to put it back on once and the car wouldnt stay running.

does that little box have a function, or even something inside of it? doesnt seem to open. but yes i thought about maybe re routing it with a whole nother hose, without the ugly box thing. i will experiment with it.

what do you mean clean up the ignition wires? as in straighten them out/lengthen them? not to worried at this point since they will soon be replaced lol

i might cut my 2v's box open tonight. ive wondered that for years... lol.

as for needing the tube scoobie is 100% correct. your only option is to re-route it, which is no big deal. a few hose clamps and some hose from autozone. $5.00 modification ;-)

OP
OP
D

danielson631

Reaction score

i just went outside to experiment, i used about 4 ft of heater hose and connected it, so i guess it doesnt really matter how long the tube or if the box is there or not, bc it ran fine and idled normal.

i think the box seems hollow. but im sure ive saw a couple people without that box on their tubes, so i guess it doesnt matter much. im sure there a reason for it being there but it beats me.

now i just have to think of how i want to route it, and if i do ill have to plug the hole in the front of the intake tube and make a new one somewhere.

alright heres another question regarding the 03/04 headcovers.

i was wondering if i would be able to put breathers in the holes for the pcv. as shown below, (third pic)

here are how mine are
IMG_0944.jpg

IMG_0946.jpg

this is what i want to do when i do the swap( breathers)

006-124.jpg

the holes on BOTH sides suck lots of oil. :confused1: im going to make a seperator, or if i could just use a breather instead of the pcv valve then thats what ill do.
also on the plus side, if i could use breathers, i wont have to get new hose for the pcv valve, or another hose to put on the *passangerside head to the intake tube.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

i suggest a lightning force PCV filter. Its high quality and much cheeper/more durable than steeda's. plus this way you dont have to work woth steeda's tech support. loL!!!!

i suggest keeping your PCV system in tact. once you hit higher horsepower, it wont matter as much, but at this point it does.

The PCV system is the ventalation system to remove old, stagnant air from your crank case. It is open on two ends. One end allows air in, one allows air out. All the air used is *METERED* and *MEASURED* in a closed system. (jsut like your coolant, for example.)

adding a breather cap (used to reduce crankcase pressure on boosted engines) will allow un-metered and un-measured air into the system, thus making it an "open" stystem, instead of a closed one.

for the most part you can re-route the PCV in massive amounts of tubing, if you want to hide it in the fenders, for example. It may cause problems once you hit a certain length.

reivaxtorres

Reaction score

danielson631 said:
thanks guys ok i have another one for yous.

what is the long tube that goes from the right side of the intake manifold to the intake tube? and whats the purpose of that little box thing attatched to it. i think it looks hideous. i couldnt find anything about it in the haynes manuel but not sure what its called

HPIM0193.jpg

hey, what intake tube are you using?

OP
OP
D

danielson631

Reaction score

that would be the intake tube for the plumbing of a vortech SC. which was on the car(old motor) before i bought it.

there was some crappy filter on it before but i bought that red one for 30 bucks at autozone thats probably the best 30$ part i ever bought. im yet to change the whole intake setup bc i dont feel like spending money on one. im waiting for the right one to pop up used in the classifieds. this one will do for the mean time

and thank you again chris for your input. ill look into the lightning pcv filter

massacre

Reaction score

MustangChris said:
they are so well insulated that the dyno shop had to go directly to the engine harness to get my RPMs ;-)

And they are so great that you couldn't wait to rip them out of the car and replace them with COPs. :BangHead:

The COP ignition does look better than the "wires over the alternator" look, I'll give you that all day long until I die.
But keeping the reliability/lower cost of the coil packs is worth it IMHO if you can relocate them so that they are not visible.
It's like the best of both worlds.

Sorry OP for the hijack, glad you got your stuff worked out.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

im replacing them for the same reason youre telling him not to do COPs. because i dont want to do the conversion...

Changing from coil packs to COPs on 1996-1998: pros-cosmetic, cons- PITA swap.
Changing from COPs to coil packs on 1999-2004: pros-"reliability," cons- PITA swap.

... ... the swap isnt worth it in my book. I *personally* find the COP reliability acceptable. Therefore the PITA swap isnt worth it, for me.

if i ever hit 800 HP, ill probably give it a thought... eventhough my tuner says they have 1,000 HP cobras running oem COPs...

no harm no foul man; we are all still waiting for some moar pix, by the way :)

massacre

Reaction score

MustangChris said:
Changing from COPs to coil packs on 1999-2004: pros-"reliability," cons- PITA swap.

Are you using a '99-'04 EEC and engine harness?
My bad, I thought this was SN95 4V, sorry.
The later models do not use the "waste-spark" system anymore.
If you did an EEC/harness swap then I'm ignorant of that fact and sorry about that.
In this ^^^ case, it would be stupid to swap over to coil packs if you already have all of the wiring to do the COPs.

I hear you man, I just haven't seen the "reliability" that you speak of in my personal experience.
In your experience, apparently it works for you.
But I gotta question it since you already spent a ton of money on unnecessary coil packs/wires but are so quick to remove them, sell them, and then shun them.

There is a secret to running the coil packs in the rear.
Think early Chrysler Hemi.....lol

-and of course no harm, no foul.
Again, keeping the reliability and lower cost of packs/wires with the "clean look" that everyone's after......
I know it sounds impossible but is actually pretty easy.
Just gotta think outside the box.
Sorry, I don't have good current pics, my camera is not communicating with my computer for some reason.
When I get that sorted out , pics will be had by all.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

massacre said:
MustangChris said:

Are you using a '99-'04 EEC and engine harness?
My bad, I thought this was SN95 4V, sorry.
The later models do not use the "waste-spark" system anymore.
If you did an EEC/harness swap then I'm ignorant of that fact and sorry about that.
In this ^^^ case, it would be stupid to swap over to coil packs if you already have all of the wiring to do the COPs.

I hear you man, I just haven't seen the "reliability" that you speak of in my personal experience.
In your experience, apparently it works for you.
But I gotta question it since you already spent a ton of money on unnecessary coil packs/wires but are so quick to remove them, sell them, and then shun them.

There is a secret to running the coil packs in the rear.
Think early Chrysler Hemi.....lol

-and of course no harm, no foul.
Again, keeping the reliability and lower cost of packs/wires with the "clean look" that everyone's after......
I know it sounds impossible but is actually pretty easy.
Just gotta think outside the box.
Sorry, I don't have good current pics, my camera is not communicating with my computer for some reason.
When I get that sorted out , pics will be had by all.

im doing a 100% 2004 cobra swap. engine, computer, gauge cluster, steering colmn, even the ignition key... so its very very late COPs...

and i dont mean to "shun" them... i just find them extreamely lacking in cosmetic appeal... ford really kind of just chucked them in the air and bolted them down wherever they landed...

if i have ignition problems with the 2004 cobra set up, ill swap it to the packs.

we look forward to pics...

massacre

Reaction score

^^^ Oh OK it makes way more sense if you did a complete swap.
Sorry for the confusion.
I looked in your sig to see what you had for mods, and complete '04 swap wasn't listed.

OP
OP
D

danielson631

Reaction score

so just an update i have a set of OEM COPs, just send the money for the harness to the guy on svtp.

back to the PCV question

what if, i closed the system completely? thataway it wont be an 'open system'. what would be the deffects of that?

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Re: COP conversion 96cobra

you dont want to close off PCV... it will increase the pressure in your crankcase...

i forget what your PCV question was... .. lol.

i suggest re-routing it... you can make it look clean... i re-routed mine back by the firewall. you could probably run it behind the engine, even....

OP
OP
D

danielson631

Reaction score
Re: COP conversion 96cobra

alright so i have just about everything i need to do the conversion., except gaskets, and a pcv hose.

i was looking online for valve cover gaskets. on autozones website, the gaskets shape for '96, oppose to an '03, is a little different. now im not sure if its just bc they arent showing the actual product? or are they different in a way? also, for a 96, its 75$, and for an '03 its $50.

im a bit confused here, other then that im ready to do this! (i think!)

btw chris, i finally got those COP covers, thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online