Cranked, But Would Not Start -at first.

Connie

Reaction score
Got into my '03 GT yesterday, and it cranked like crazy. I think I tried 8 times, trying not to heat up the starter. So, I cycled the Ignition Switch back and forth, not engaging the Starter, then it cranked right up. It did sit for a week, but it has before with no issues. We took it on the highway, and I gunned it. The Fuel Pump kept up with no sputtering, she was smooth as could be. It started every time yesterday afterward. So, could the Fuel have drained back into the Tank, or it Vapour Locked, and it took energizing the Fuel Pump a few times to prime the system, or is it just a fluke that can happen now and then, when a car sits for a week or so? CURIOUS. Thank you for any response.

07GtS197

Reaction score
I had that same issue and it turned out to be pats. I don’t remember seeing the theft light flashing but I put a scanner on it later and a code popped up for it. Something like theft detected I don’t remember anymore it’s been a while. Point is it could’ve just been pats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Connie

Connie

Reaction score
yes it sounds like the fp was low. It could mean something as simple as a dirty filter or as bad as a fuel pump starting to go out on you.
Thank you. I probably change out Fuel Filters more than most owners. I did put the rest of what was left of the Lawn Mower gas in the tank, before I filled it up with BP Premium. Maybe that could be the issue. I sure hope the Pump isn't going out. That will be a pain to change. So, even though there were no issues while the car was running, could still mean the Pump is going out? Thank you ttocs..........I just went out to the garage, and it started right up. It sat for two days. So, maybe like you said, bad gas, but from leftover lawn mower fuel. I've done that when every LAWN season ends. I shouldn't do that anymore. Thanks again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Connie

Connie

Reaction score
I was wondering about that. I've never used additives before. But, since you suggested it, I'll be brave enough and get some. I found out on my Maintenance Schedule, that I changed Fuel Filters on both Mustangs on Jan 20th of this year. And only put 1,300 miles on my GT since then. Like you said also, I ordered a New Fuel Filter. But, I wasn't going to change it until I refuel the Tank. Maybe at 1/4. Should I add the Seafoam or Fuel Injector Cleaner NOW, or at the Gas Pump when I refuel? Thank you sooo much again for your responses ttocs. Bob.

OP
OP
Connie

Connie

Reaction score
I would wait till you had a full tank to put anything in.
Got it. I bought 2 bottles of Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner. Advance Auto said it was their biggest seller. My GT seems to be starting much better, even though I haven't added anything yet. What's weird since this all began, is the Engine always runs great, no sputtering, or hesitation. Just getting her started has been the only issue. But, I'm still changing the Fuel Filter, and adding the Lucas as you recommended. Like always, thank you for your assistance. Bob.

Reaction score
rascally pats...

hate that guy

also, if youve only put 1300 miles on the car since january, which is almost an entire year, i would worry about the gas in there. unless youre putting in 93 i would worry about the fuel sitting for such a long time in between drives. i start up my car at random points throughout the year since its mainly raced, but im very up to date on maintenance and when it sits for extended periods of time there usually isnt much fuel in there and i run 101 or more recently have been using VP octane booster so i try to not let it sit

so plus 1 to scott

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
any chance it was at the bottom of the tank when you were having issues and its better since filling it? That would make me wonder if you have not got some bad gas at some point and when it gets to the bottom of the tank its sucking on dirty gas. If you EVER go to the gas station and the tanker truck is there, go on to the next gas station. When the tanker fills the gas station tanks it stirs up any sediment that has collected after years of bad gas. It normally sits on the bottom of the tank but when they fill it they stir it up and if you are there at that time you have a much better chance of sucking up some dirty gas.

OP
OP
Connie

Connie

Reaction score
rascally pats...

hate that guy

also, if youve only put 1300 miles on the car since january, which is almost an entire year, i would worry about the gas in there. unless youre putting in 93 i would worry about the fuel sitting for such a long time in between drives. i start up my car at random points throughout the year since its mainly raced, but im very up to date on maintenance and when it sits for extended periods of time there usually isnt much fuel in there and i run 101 or more recently have been using VP octane booster so i try to not let it sit

so plus 1 to scott
Thanks for your input on this. I do drive it at least once a week. I always use BP Ultimate 93 Octane. I'm just not sure what happened, except when I went to fill up the last time, maybe the station had a fuel delivery right before I arrived and it stirred up something near the bottom of their Tank. But too, every year at the end of the Mowing season I add what's left from the Gas for the Mower to both our fuel tanks. Well, from now on, I'll never do that again, even if that didn't cause the issue.

OP
OP
Connie

Connie

Reaction score
any chance it was at the bottom of the tank when you were having issues and its better since filling it? That would make me wonder if you have not got some bad gas at some point and when it gets to the bottom of the tank its sucking on dirty gas. If you EVER go to the gas station and the tanker truck is there, go on to the next gas station. When the tanker fills the gas station tanks it stirs up any sediment that has collected after years of bad gas. It normally sits on the bottom of the tank but when they fill it they stir it up and if you are there at that time you have a much better chance of sucking up some dirty gas.
Hey there ttocs. That's part of what I was thinking when this all began. I ALWAYS keep an eye out for Tanker Trucks when I fill up at BP. But, I may have just missed a Fuel Delivery right before I arrived there. You gave me an idea. I'll call the BP Station and ask which days the Tanker Truck is scheduled to deliver. I never let the Fuel get below a 1/4 tank, except on trips to Fla, that we HAVE to take once a year. And I always average 13 Gal per fill up then. Around town it's more in the 10 Gal range after filling. Every year though, I add what's left of the Lawn Mower gas to our tanks, and then fill up. It's not all that much. But, I won't be doing that anymore, even if that wasn't the issue. The law of averages may catch up with me. I just used my Diablo Programmer to Diagnose any codes, and it showed all clear. Bob.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Connie

Connie

Reaction score
Alright! I hope I'm NOT making anyone crazy, going over this same issue, I've been having with my '03 GT. I narrowed it down some...For the reason it won't Start, then suddenly it does. For one thing, it is not the Gas being dirty, or having water in it. That I know for a fact now. I also don't believe it's the Fuel Pump itself. I finally got closer to the back of my car when I turn the Key to start it. The Door Chime was so loud, I couldn't hear if the Fuel Pump was Cycling on before. With my ear closer to the back, I could hear when I turn the Key to the 'ON' and Off position, not START, if the Fuel Pump was energizing or not. After so many Cycles of doing that, I could hear the hum from the Pump being energized. Then, I turn the Key to the START position, and she cranks right up!! And it runs like a champ. As if there was nothing wrong at all. Any more ideas? The 20 AMP 'FUEL PUMP' Fuse is good. The Inertia Switch in the Trunk is in the DOWN position. Is there a RELAY somewhere I'm not finding? ALSO, I never did figure out what this thing is? It even has 'Dominican Republic' printed on it. I know it has never been removed. I bought the car new about 18 years ago. It came from the Factory with it....It is on the Passenger Side in front of the Strut Tower. Thank you, for anymore responses to this MYSTERY.DSC00015 (2).JPG DSC00019.JPG Here it is with the Cover off.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if I read that right, it would not start and then you turned the key on/off a few times to hear the pump and then it did? That still tells me you have a fuel pressure issue.

OP
OP
Connie

Connie

Reaction score
if I read that right, it would not start and then you turned the key on/off a few times to hear the pump and then it did? That still tells me you have a fuel pressure issue.
Hi there ttocs. I'm happy you're still responding. If it's Fuel Pressure, would that keep the Fuel Pump from turning on electronically? Shouldn't the Pump at least cycle on with the Key, even if the Pressure is low? Also, when the Engine does start, it runs fantastic. No problems at all. No misses, or sputters. I can drive all over town without any problem. And, can you tell me what that Relay, or Fuse I took a picture of is? If not, I'll try to find out another way. I know my car inside and out. But, that simple little Black Box next to the Strut Tower has always had me stumped. I can't say it enough, thank you for your help. Bob

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
low pressure does not automatically mean a bad pump. It could be a small hole in the hose that goes from the pump up to the top of the tank cap that has a small hole in it that lowers the pressure but it leaks back into the tank so you will never see it. To be sure its a pressure problem we need a gauge and to check it prior to starting it.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Alright! I hope I'm NOT making anyone crazy, going over this same issue, I've been having with my '03 GT. I narrowed it down some...For the reason it won't Start, then suddenly it does. For one thing, it is not the Gas being dirty, or having water in it. That I know for a fact now. I also don't believe it's the Fuel Pump itself. I finally got closer to the back of my car when I turn the Key to start it. The Door Chime was so loud, I couldn't hear if the Fuel Pump was Cycling on before. With my ear closer to the back, I could hear when I turn the Key to the 'ON' and Off position, not START, if the Fuel Pump was energizing or not. After so many Cycles of doing that, I could hear the hum from the Pump being energized. Then, I turn the Key to the START position, and she cranks right up!! And it runs like a champ. As if there was nothing wrong at all. Any more ideas? The 20 AMP 'FUEL PUMP' Fuse is good. The Inertia Switch in the Trunk is in the DOWN position. Is there a RELAY somewhere I'm not finding? ALSO, I never did figure out what this thing is? It even has 'Dominican Republic' printed on it. I know it has never been removed. I bought the car new about 18 years ago. It came from the Factory with it....It is on the Passenger Side in front of the Strut Tower. Thank you, for anymore responses to this MYSTERY.View attachment 8446 View attachment 8447 Here it is with the Cover off.
Hi there ttocs. I'm happy you're still responding. If it's Fuel Pressure, would that keep the Fuel Pump from turning on electronically? Shouldn't the Pump at least cycle on with the Key, even if the Pressure is low? Also, when the Engine does start, it runs fantastic. No problems at all. No misses, or sputters. I can drive all over town without any problem. And, can you tell me what that Relay, or Fuse I took a picture of is? If not, I'll try to find out another way. I know my car inside and out. But, that simple little Black Box next to the Strut Tower has always had me stumped. I can't say it enough, thank you for your help. Bob
That black box on side of shock tower is for the fan relay I believe

OP
OP
Connie

Connie

Reaction score
That black box on side of shock tower is for the fan relay I believe
Oh, THANK YOU! When I checked into all of the Fuses and Relays, there is NO mention of that little thing. But, everything else is. I don't know why? Thanks again rau03MACH.

OP
OP
Connie

Connie

Reaction score
low pressure does not automatically mean a bad pump. It could be a small hole in the hose that goes from the pump up to the top of the tank cap that has a small hole in it that lowers the pressure but it leaks back into the tank so you will never see it. To be sure its a pressure problem we need a gauge and to check it prior to starting it.
Hi there ttocs. I'll look into that. But, since yesterday morning, every time I turned the Ignition Key to the 'ON' Position, the Fuel Pump came on every single time! Which is great! But, as far as I'm concerned that doesn't mean it repaired itself. There's no such thing as POOF, a magic repair. I may just finally call a mechanic. NEVER had to do that, but a member of our 'Georgia Regional Mustang Club', has used the same mechanic for years now. So, I'm going to let you all go, especially you ttocs. You worked hard to help me out. When I do find what the MYSTERY has been, I'll be sure to let you know, so no one else has to go through this. Thank you so much again. Bob.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Do you have a fuel pressure gage
If not you can rent one from autozone o'Reilly
Need to check the pressure when the key is turned to cycle
And while it's running when key cycle a couple of times should get you at least 30
Idling should be around 45 if not change that pump
But the pressure gage dose help troubleshoot

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online