OP
OP
Connie

Connie

Reaction score
Do you have a fuel pressure gage
If not you can rent one from autozone o'Reilly
Need to check the pressure when the key is turned to cycle
And while it's running when key cycle a couple of times should get you at least 30
Idling should be around 45 if not change that pump
But the pressure gage dose help troubleshoot
Thank you for your help. Where is the best location to hook up the Fuel Pressure Gauge? The whole confusing thing about this issue is, when I hear the Fuel Pump finally energize after cycling the Key on and off is, it cranks right up and runs all over town, no misses , sputters or any problems whatsoever. It seems like a Relay,..maybe?. But, also going back to the Gas, could debris cause the Pump NOT to energize electronically. That would be a separate issue, right? Eeeh.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
16086476654734924709280030513677.jpg 16086477182078179226069169728987.jpg

That black cap on the fuel rail is the test port
So you will need help 2 peeps one to start it one to keep an eye on everything
Hook it up watch the gage and make sure it's secure tight no leaks

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
It could also be a hole in the fuel line hose in tank
It could be the sock in the tank clogged
It could also be a kinked hose in fuel tank
Check your fuel psi first if no fuel
The tank will need to be dropped for further testing inspection

Last edited:
OP
OP
Connie

Connie

Reaction score
View attachment 8486 View attachment 8487

That black cap on the fuel rail is the test port
So you will need help 2 peeps one to start it one to keep an eye on everything
Hook it up watch the gage and make sure it's secure tight no leaks
I guess I'm losing it. Thank you, of course that would be the obvious Port. Going back to the beginning of my post, could it STILL be possible the Fuel Pump is slowly going bad as ttocs had stated. Even though when my GT does finally start, and runs great, that when it doesn't Energize and then does, the Pump is on the way out? That can still be possible? Being that it's more Electronic than Mechanical, that could be one way a Fuel Pump would act being Electronic. Am I thinking too OLD SCHOOL about this? Oh, the '95 GT,98 GT the '97 Cobra, and the '03 Mach1 are all still in your Stable? Or was that the progression of ownership through the years? It would be nice to still have all of them.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Ya it could be slowly going out but check those items i mentioned and the psi on pump
It's just to see what your actually getting and not guessing

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if the pump was really having regular issues you would probably be able to feel it during full throttle as it would not be able to keep up. Any chance this could be related to temp? Was it extra cold those days it would not start? If that is the case it could be a loose connection in a harness somewhere along the way.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I guess I'm losing it. Thank you, of course that would be the obvious Port. Going back to the beginning of my post, could it STILL be possible the Fuel Pump is slowly going bad as ttocs had stated. Even though when my GT does finally start, and runs great, that when it doesn't Energize and then does, the Pump is on the way out? That can still be possible? Being that it's more Electronic than Mechanical, that could be one way a Fuel Pump would act being Electronic. Am I thinking too OLD SCHOOL about this? Oh, the '95 GT,98 GT the '97 Cobra, and the '03 Mach1 are all still in your Stable? Or was that the progression of ownership through the years? It would be nice to still have all of them.
Ya I'm picking cars up still and the ones I want i keep
The one I have now I'm keeping for sure
I do run into a lot of them along the way

I also agree with a bad connection in harness lose connection that TTOCS quoted

OP
OP
Connie

Connie

Reaction score
Ya I'm picking cars up still and the ones I want i keep
The one I have now I'm keeping for sure
I do run into a lot of them along the way

I also agree with a bad connection in harness lose connection that TTOCS quoted
Ok. Thank you guys once more. As always that '97 Cobra is a BEAUT'. How about the '03 Mach1? I LOVE the '03-'04 Mach's. We're so happy to have one of those ourselves.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
My mach i is clean i did pick up a wing from Thomas to put on
I have not had a chance to put it on
Or even really look at the car
I do like the mach1 a lot
I would have like to seen it in the 94 98s

OP
OP
Connie

Connie

Reaction score
My mach i is clean i did pick up a wing from Thomas to put on
I have not had a chance to put it on
Or even really look at the car
I do like the mach1 a lot
I would have like to seen it in the 94 98s
I wonder if Ford would've used the SHAKER under the Hood, if they did have a Mach during the '94-'98 model run. The new Mach won't have the Scoop. But to me, that's what makes it a Mach1. Not just putting the name on it, then leaving off the Shaker. That Scoop defines the Mach1.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Ya for the kit i thought saw it for around 600
Then you need to cut your hood repaint
Could be looking at 800 total

OP
OP
Connie

Connie

Reaction score
OKAY!!!! "FINALLY, it is OVER"! The 'FUEL PUMP' was going BAD all this time, after all. My OLD School thinking was throwing me off, figuring when a fuel pump is going bad, there would be drivability issues to go along with it. Well, that's just NOT the case. After 18 years, I should've expected that was the problem right away. One day, I went out to the garage and tried the cycling back and forth of the Ignition Key, waiting to hear the Fuel Pump so I could start it. But it never came alive again. I want EVERYONE, to know how much I appreciated the input, and help you all gave me through this ordeal. I also wanted to give a heads up to others, if they have this same strange situation. A few years ago, I would've tackled this job since I've done EVERY single thing on my car myself. My wife told me, "YOU...Will Not Put That Fuel Pump In Yourself." With my physical issues, I would've really suffered through it. Does ANYONE here know that gut wrenching(HA) feeling of giving control, granting someone else the job of working on your car besides yourself?? It's a horrible, emotional feeling, I can not describe. So, I had to let go and have it towed to a Shop, recommended by a good friend from our local Mustang Club. It ended up costing me 870.00. I know that sounds like a lot, but I didn't want any other Fuel Pump, but a Motorcraft installed. And those puppies aren't cheap! The lowest prices I could find was ROCK AUTO @ 527.79, and AUTOZONE @ 471.00. But, that also didn't include shipping and taxes either. Every other parts store was over 900.00 for a Motorcraft Fuel Pump. If you do a Fuel Pump job yourself, depending on which one you choose, do a quick shop around on the Computer, it could surprise you. And remember, the CHEAPER the Pump, the more you may be under the car changing it again, and again. I've heard the horror stories about cheap fuel pumps. THANK YOU again, especially ttocs, and RAU03MACH!! Man, do I feel so much better that my 18 year old is running fantastic again!! BOB.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I could not figure that out either. Hell I think my holley high flow external pump was about that price but it moves a little more fuel.

OP
OP
Connie

Connie

Reaction score
Hi guys. Yes, it is the COMPLETE Assembly. The part # is 'PFS-170'. I LOOKED all over for the best price online for this pump. I think it was a fair price install. They definitely didn't price gouge me. It was 165.00 Labor for the installation. I just knew I couldn't lay, and twist around on my Garage Floor to install it. I have to admit, my wife was right. Thank you all again for your help guys.

OP
OP
Connie

Connie

Reaction score
Are getting the whole assembly or just a pump
It is the whole assembly. Bucket and all. Even the Float for the Gauge and Filter socks. They were smart enough to install the Filler Neck to Tank Grommet. I know those can tear easily. Thanks again RAU03MACH. Bob

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Members online