cut stock springs?

coats04

Reaction score
my buddy picked up a 03 cobra and was told the springs where stock cut springs.cut off 1 full coil.the thing sits perfect and rides great.
anyone have any input on that?how much to cut from the rears?

94cobra

mich_666

Reaction score
i dont like the idea of cutting springs.... just my take. eventually ull want to get the proper spring/shock combo, so the way i see it, just do it right the first time around...
IMO

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
DONT CUT YOUR SPRINGS!!!

It will ruin the ride quality and handling..... Just buy some lowering springs....even a cheap brand is better than cutting coils

OP
OP
C

coats04

Reaction score
thats what i always thought but his 03cobra rides nice as hell and looks killer.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
coats04 said:
thats what i always thought but his 03cobra rides nice as hell and looks killer.

just buy some Lowering Springs...... bad things may happen to your buddies Cobra...since heat has been applied to the spring it may make it unstable and the spring can bend is a weird manner

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
it can be done, but your springrate goes up. the cobra's weighing more than a 94-98 probably benefits from the stiffer ride.
you can try it, but I'd recommend just getting lowering springs, especially since you have to take them all the way out to cut anyway.

vermilion

Legend
Reaction score
i'd rather buy springs than cut them. i dont like the sloppy low-rider hydraulics affect stopping and going.

sonicsn95

Reaction score
Don't cut just buy some springs you will be happier in the long run!

prophecy502

Reaction score
i cut mine when i just got my 94, 2 weeks later bought lowering springs. you can cut them it just rides real stiff. if your going to do it cut a coil and 1/4 off the front and coil and 1/2 off the back it comes out bout a 2.5 inch drop on a coupe. i wouldn't was your time though.

g_dogg

Reaction score
hey coats04,
I just got a 04 cobra rear suspension. I wanna cut the springs on it too.
are you sure your buddy cut off 1 coil? or half a coil??

94Pro-5.0

Reaction score
SRT Handz said:
DONT CUT YOUR SPRINGS!!!

It will ruin the ride quality and handling..... Just buy some lowering springs....even a cheap brand is better than cutting coils

why do i hear this half the time, but when i ask if i should cut my pro-kit or buy sportlines people say cut my pro-kit? :dunno:

S

scarface

Generally you wouldnt want to cut a mustang spring,you guys are forgetting the IRS springs are different than solid rear springs. Solid axle stangs use a progressive rate spring, cutting that is a nono, but IRS cars use a Linear rate spring. IT is very common to cut the rear springs, without any side effects. I have been running them the entire time I have had both IRS's in my car. I love them, they are lowered, ride like stock, and handle great.

here is a how to from SVTP to make sure you get the proper hight.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6629807#post6629807

if you dont know the difference here is a brief write up off svtp.

Design Types: Normal, Step Linear and Progressive Springs

1. Normal Springs (Linear rate Springs, Specific Rate Springs)

In a normal spring, space between the coils are equal. Normal (or linear rate) springs are designed to respond with a specific rate when compressed.
Consider we have a 10-coil spring, each coil spaced 2 centimeters apart. Put a load on the spring to compress it 2 centimeters. Because in Normal Springs coils compress at the same rate, this 2 centimeters will be divided into all 10 coils equal, resulting each coil spaced 1,8 cm apart. Put another additional load which is the same as the first one and the coils will become 1,6 cm apart

2. Step Linear Springs (2 Step Linear Springs)

These are springs that have a 2 different spring rate.In a two-step linear spring, about half the coils have shorter spacing. As the spring compresses, the coils move closer. At a certain point, the shorter spaced coils touch, effectively eliminating them from the spring. You then have a spring comprised of only the longer coils. This "second-step" spring will be much stiffer than the whole spring (the more coils, the easier it is to compress the spring). The result is that you have one set of handling characteristics before the shorter coils touch and then you have another, completely different level of response after they touch

3. Progressive Springs (Rising Rate Springs, Progressive Rate Springs, Progressive Wound Springs)

In progressive springs each coil is spaced differently and they have a variable spring rate. When free, it is easy to compress the spring for first centimeters. As you apply more forces, coils on a progressive spring come closer. After a certain point, coils at the top 1/4 of the spring begin to touch each other and finally become inactive or dead, and that makes the spring stiffer. Apply more forces to a progressive spring then it becomes stiffer because as the number of active coils in a spring decreases, the spring rate increases. So, a progressive spring may both be sensitive to very small bumps on the road, while giving the stiffness you need during hard braking and turning.

Each spring design has its own market.

Progressive rate springs are likely ?all-in one? solutions. They are often used on performance aftermarket kits like Eibach or others, and they are good for daily performance street driving. They help you achieve the highest performance when driving hard, while providing a smooth, comfortable drive the rest of the time.

Linear springs are more often used in drag racing, road racing, track and races that require a ?high spring rate?, in which a constant spring rate is more important than a smooth ride.
They are still popular because they are:
1. Easier to produce and can be made to lower a car beyond the point of progressive rate springs.
2. Easy to work with, because the spring rate never changes, allowing quick chassis setup
3. Inexpensive, allowing most race teams to use several different sets depending on track conditions

S

scarface

94Pro-5.0 said:
SRT Handz said:
DONT CUT YOUR SPRINGS!!!

why do i hear this half the time, but when i ask if i should cut my pro-kit or buy sportlines people say cut my pro-kit? :dunno:
they are a linear spring, where you stockers are progressive. see above for explination.

Stangman98

Reaction score
Cut mine in the '98 last week and worked great. Those that plan on drag racing alot...do not get lowering springs! Mine is still a street car but it actually rides nicer then before. I should note for reference though that I use Strange Eng. 10 way adjustable rear shocks too.

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
stangman98, how much did you cut?

i always hear about how bad it is to cut stock springs but some of the people who have done it to their cars tend to say its better... maybe they are in denial... pics pleas

Stangman98

Reaction score
Cut the dead coil off and then about another 1/2 coil
Don't have any new pics yet though