Cutting Springs help!!!

a306juGRnot

Reaction score
Addermk2 said:
prove me wrong
sry but i dont have the time or patience to actually do a test. if you just think bout it, u can understand the logic without actually having to see it done. idk how else to prove it?

Addermk2

Reaction score
I dont see your logic at all. The way you are looking at it is... the spring will compress the same amount, no matter what size it is.

which is wrong. if a 10" 250lb/in spring compresses 1", and half of that spring compresses 1" under the same weight... What did the other half of the spring do while they were one piece?

Bottom line... you are wrong

a306juGRnot

Reaction score
Addermk2 said:
I dont see your logic at all. The way you are looking at it is... the spring will compress the same amount, no matter what size it is.

which is wrong. if a 10" 250lb/in spring compresses 1", and half of that spring compresses 1" under the same weight... What did the other half of the spring do while they were one piece?

i understand how you are thinking...yes half of the spring did compress .5inch while it was 10inch long. but the spring is no longer 10 in long. is it 5 inch long now and that is how you would look at it and or measure it. if you put 250 lbs on the new spring, it will still go down 1 inch.

a306juGRnot

Reaction score
the way your thinking is that when it was 10inch long and 250lbs was put on top, than it went down 1 inch. so you think that must mean that half of the spring only went down .5inches which is correct...but like i said, your basing this when it was 10 long. you now have to do a new measurement on it now that it is 5inches long.

and i was wrong about it not changing. spring rate will change. but not to the extent of how you measured it.

Addermk2

Reaction score
a306juGRnot said:
Addermk2 said:

i understand how you are thinking...yes half of the spring did compress .5inch while it was 10inch long. but the spring is no longer 10 in long. is it 5 inch long now and that is how you would look at it and or measure it. if you put 250 lbs on the new spring, it will still go down 1 inch.

no... you're wrong

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RevJon

Members online