Disconnecting Battery Starts Car

myk

Reaction score
Batteries are questionable after three or four years. That's from my own personal experience as well as from friends in the industry; I hear that's why warranties for them have changed over the years. For your problem I'm thinking about fuel delivery and that reconnecting the battery is a coincidence. I hope you have a way to measure fuel pressure...

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Seems like no one has an answer for the OP, but can sure debunk someone elses post.

OP
OP
Connie

Connie

Reaction score
Batteries are questionable after three or four years. That's from my own personal experience as well as from friends in the industry; I hear that's why warranties for them have changed over the years. For your problem I'm thinking about fuel delivery and that reconnecting the battery is a coincidence. I hope you have a way to measure fuel pressure...
Thank you for your help. No, I don't have a way to measure the pressure. But, I don't get anything negative with fuel issues at all, no sputtering, the engine doesn't die, no idling problems. As was brought out, and as you said, batteries after 3 or more years, may exhibit problems that can't really be detected, differing from battery to battery. I'm going to the dealership for a new motorcraft battery when I feel better.

OP
OP
Connie

Connie

Reaction score
And your logic has no basis either............. [emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you everyone for helping. I don't expect anyone to have a magic answer, just their input is helpful. It's a mystery. As I said, when I feel better I'll go to the dealer and buy a new battery. It is over 5 years old anyway, even though it still works, It won't hurt to buy a new one. If that fixes the issue or not, I'll let you all know, though it might be a while, since it is intermittent, and ONLY happens at home? Weird. And help someone else in the future with a strange issue as this.

outdare

Reaction score
I would agree with the others about the battery. They get old and don't put out the amps they used too. With the battery being 5 yrs old I would replace it on general principal. It beats getting stuck somewhere when it dies completely. Good luck.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Silver95bird

Reaction score
Hello there 01yellercobra. The battery is almost 5 years old. With 17,000 on it since I installed it. But, the thing is, it CRANKS like crazy, like there is plenty of voltage and will not start sometimes, until I disconnect and reconnect the Battery. Your right, the Battery is getting older, but it cranks the engine fine, but will not start at times. It's just too weird.

I suggested checking fuel pressure before and i still suggest it now - but i just remembered something. I have seen a car with a bad Alternator (4.6) which would crank but not start, the battery didnt have the juice to fire the coils off.

I'll get on my soap box and point out this crap never happens on prr 98 cars with the coil packs and wires. "progress". ugh.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I agree I think there is a fuel issue, caused by a old battery being drained by the mach amp in the dash not supplying enough voltage/current for the fuel pump to prime properly. We can test the fuel theory by turning the key on/off long enough to let the pump prime, then on again to let it prime and after the 2nd time it primes then you see if it starts.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
I suggested checking fuel pressure before and i still suggest it now - but i just remembered something. I have seen a car with a bad Alternator (4.6) which would crank but not start, the battery didnt have the juice to fire the coils off.

I'll get on my soap box and point out this crap never happens on prr 98 cars with the coil packs and wires. "progress". ugh.

The first time I had it happen with my old 70 Mustang. I swapped in a Duraspark setup to replace the points. I had a battery that spun the engine but it wouldn't fire up. Jumped it and it fired up.

PinkieT

Reaction score
I work at an Advance Auto Parts store. I get people all the time who "say my battery is a few years old and so has to be on the way out/ I am having trouble starting/my lights are dim, etc. so I want a new battery". Before we sell them one, do free a free starting/charging system test. It will check what their battery voltage is and what the cold cranking amps are vs what they should be, if their starter is pulling too many amps, and what the alternator output at idle and at higher rpm. Sometimes we can detect large parasitic drains if they are obvious i.e. we see the voltage dropping steadily with the engine off. Other auto parts stores do the same test for free too. If the customer needs a new battery, we do the install for free. My guess is it isn't the battery in your case, but the test can tell you for sure. Good luck hunting down your gremlin!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I work at an Advance Auto Parts store. I get people all the time who "say my battery is a few years old and so has to be on the way out/ I am having trouble starting/my lights are dim, etc. so I want a new battery". Before we sell them one, do free a free starting/charging system test. It will check what their battery voltage is and what the cold cranking amps are vs what they should be, if their starter is pulling too many amps, and what the alternator output at idle and at higher rpm. Sometimes we can detect large parasitic drains if they are obvious i.e. we see the voltage dropping steadily with the engine off. Other auto parts stores do the same test for free too. If the customer needs a new battery, we do the install for free. My guess is it isn't the battery in your case, but the test can tell you for sure. Good luck hunting down your gremlin!
when you test the battery if you can wait as long as possible before putting on the battery tester. I have seen batteries that tested as good right of the charger that would slowly loose voltage with nothing hooked up.

PinkieT

Reaction score
when you test the battery if you can wait as long as possible before putting on the battery tester. I have seen batteries that tested as good right of the charger that would slowly loose voltage with nothing hooked up.

The test I described is done with the battery in the car.

OP
OP
Connie

Connie

Reaction score
I would agree with the others about the battery. They get old and don't put out the amps they used too. With the battery being 5 yrs old I would replace it on general principal. It beats getting stuck somewhere when it dies completely. Good luck.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
Yeah, in the old days you would get warnings as batteries got old. Predominately the dreaded SLOW cranking was one. All the computer control systems in cars anymore, even as old as ours are, are so sensitive, as the battery has many tasks. I STILL tend to forget, that the Battery plays a larger role than just starting the car and storing voltage these days.

OP
OP
Connie

Connie

Reaction score

Yes...progress. The magic word. Eh

OP
OP
Connie

Connie

Reaction score
I agree I think there is a fuel issue, caused by a old battery being drained by the mach amp in the dash not supplying enough voltage/current for the fuel pump to prime properly. We can test the fuel theory by turning the key on/off long enough to let the pump prime, then on again to let it prime and after the 2nd time it primes then you see if it starts.
I sit between the front and back seats, and turn the key. My EARS ARE PLUGGED up right now, sometimes I hear the pump in the ON position, other times I'm not sure. In a couple of days I'm going to get a new Battery. But, as of now she is starting fine. So, the battery is probably getting lazy, as you said.

OP
OP
Connie

Connie

Reaction score
Thank you for your comment. I have an Advance Auto down the block, known them for many years. When you get sooo used to doing everything yourself, I forget about the help that's out there.

OP
OP
Connie

Connie

Reaction score
DSC00244.JPG DSC00242.JPG I just noticed, my wife joined this forum 5 years ago. I didn't even know! I thought it was recently. I know why now she hasn't posted on here. It seems too technical for her. I'm not sure myself. Let me know if this should be moved to a new comment section. But, if I move it, it will probably disappear. Maybe the MODERATOR could do it. I have gotten PLENTY of responses on the SN95 forum than I EVER could imagine getting anywhere else!! I thank you all for that. So, if you wish, you may as well see the 'Stangs we own. Mine is the '03 Redfire GT, I bought brand new(with the current electrical, or battery issue), and the '04 Mach1 my wife drives. We do Car Shows all over the southeast, and one in Los Angeles in '09. One of our bedrooms has become the Mustang room, because of all the trophy's and awards, and die casts.View attachment 2848 View attachment 2848 View attachment 2848 View attachment 2848

Attachments

• DSC00104.JPG
    DSC00104.JPG
    219.9 KB · Views: 15

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online