Don't you just hate it when... **Finished, link to pics on post 224!!

paintslinga2010

Reaction score
Re: Don't you just hate it when...

That sucks bro. I just replaced the rear quarter on mine. Cost the insurance company a pretty $2100. And i have to look at it everyday. I'm the only one that can tell but it still bugs the shit out of me.

ryclef331

Reaction score

If your strut and sway bar end link bent, unless it was bent due to excessive droop from the curb check, you probably also bent the front control arm and/or the k-member as well. If you weren't in damn cananda I have my stock setup I'd GIVE to you just to get it outta my way and you could charge her ass for it. Get that car to a shop and get it quoted. Most likely, if a cast aluminum wheel bent, they can't fix it and that too will be taken into account with the shop estimate...careful on how high of an estimate you get, you MAY inadvertantly tip toe on totaling the car out but it definetly sounds like you tweaked more than the strut and sway bar end link....LOOK AT EVERYTHING HOMIE. If it was hard enough to bend the strut, something gave in first to make that happen. You can look at your k-member where the bolts mount it in and see if it shifted.

OP
OP
R

Rice_slayer

Reaction score

ryclef331 said:
If your strut and sway bar end link bent, unless it was bent due to excessive droop from the curb check, you probably also bent the front control arm and/or the k-member as well. If you weren't in damn cananda I have my stock setup I'd GIVE to you just to get it outta my way and you could charge her a*s for it. Get that car to a shop and get it quoted. Most likely, if a cast aluminum wheel bent, they can't fix it and that too will be taken into account with the shop estimate...careful on how high of an estimate you get, you MAY inadvertantly tip toe on totaling the car out but it definetly sounds like you tweaked more than the strut and sway bar end link....LOOK AT EVERYTHING HOMIE. If it was hard enough to bend the strut, something gave in first to make that happen. You can look at your k-member where the bolts mount it in and see if it shifted.
I actually have the wheel off and that corner of the car jacked up in the garage right now. The control arm I know ISN'T bent, which I thought it would be, only visible damage without going under the car is the strut and sway bar link. I will check tomorrow morning as it's nearing midnight here and I don't feel like going out to the garage right now. Even if they try to total it, I have $5000+ of bills that went towards parts/upgrades over the past winter to it, I have every piece of work I have done to this thing documented lol.

EDIT: Anyways here's a pic of the street and accident scene, as you can see, my car literally got pushed into the curb, I took about 7 pictures of the accident, this one, a few of my car and a few of her's, for JUST IN CASE purposes, you never know lol. But ya, I hit that concrete curb at 70kph(40mph).

OP
OP
R

Rice_slayer

Reaction score

Did as you said rycleff, the K-member bolts were moved about 1-2mm, not much but might be an issue, also the sway bar was pushed over, here are pics of the suspension parts(ignore worn out bushings, I WAS going to re-do the suspension this winter lol):
IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

Mustang Mark

Reaction score

:( all that looks quite expensive to fix

OP
OP
R

Rice_slayer

Reaction score
Re: Don't you just hate it when... **UPDATE: Post 27**

Just got back from the adjuster, no frame damage, but all damage totals up to $6100cnd, car was valued at $7700cnd 2 years ago. I have a new adjuster now and will find out if they total it in 2 weeks time. I asked if all my engine/tranny bills would help and he said yes. Basically, if they total it I will fight it with my bills, if that doesn't work, I'm buying it back and fixing it. I'm about ready to get that Russian woman deported back to her country if they total it!

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

DAMN RUSSIANS! lol

OP
OP
R

Rice_slayer

Reaction score

You don't know how many Soviet Russia jokes I have heard from the guys at work over this like "In Soviet russia, car hits you!" I have a lot of deciding to do if they total it, I might take the money and save to buy an S197, I always wanted one and would LOVE to mod one, sooo much potential ;)

US Soldier(stang 98)

Reaction score

holy hell man. i would find her and well take her out lol. good luck man i would hate to see this thing taken off the road its a very nice ride. good luck bro

EastBayStang98

Reaction score

u really think that after eveerything uve put in there ur ready to total it out? if thats the case ur gonna part it out right?

OP
OP
R

Rice_slayer

Reaction score

EastBayStang98 said:
u really think that after eveerything uve put in there ur ready to total it out? if thats the case ur gonna part it out right?
Don't know, I said I will know the final verdict within 2 weeks. If I buy it back, I'd fix it. All depends on what I want to do. As I have said before, this was my first car, and I worked my a$$ off when I was 14 to buy it and have upgraded and fixed it from stock to where it is now in the past 3 years, I'm not letting it go without a fight. I'm in the process of going through all my bills and making photocopies. Seeing how much I spent is actually really depressing, but sooo worth it ;)

EastBayStang98

Reaction score

well good luck with that, make that russian pay lol, i hope it all works out for you

98GTnSC

Reaction score

ive just got done going through a similar situation(got rearended). and ima go ahead and tell you that im pretty sure theyre gonna total it. but if they do just buy it back and either fix it back, buy it back and part it out and make a bit of change since uve got a good list of parts and then try to get that S197 u want. a wreck sucks especially as its ur first car and uve worked and all so hard on it like you and i have. mine is also my first car. hopefully going in the shop though asa i get the insurance check

snoball

Reaction score

Just let them total it, buy back will be cheap since its an older car. Use your settlement money to get it back, part it out and make way more money. Or buy it back, find a different sn (possibly cheap roller body or something) and swap everything over.

OP
OP
R

Rice_slayer

Reaction score

Thanks for the help! IF it's totaled and my bills don't help(total bills tallied to almost $13k canadian) and they give me less than $12k for the car(obviously will) I will buy it back and fix it. The ONLY way it won't get fixed is A) they give me at least 12k for it, which I VERY highly doubt they would do OR B) there is actual structure damage(which he couldn't see of any). I work at a dealership so getting it re-safetied wouldn't be an issue, but if I doubt I will not fix it, I love the car too much. Snoball, I wouldn't buy another SN95 chassis. Yes they are fun and I love them, but after driving S197s at work and my brother's S197 GT/CS, I fell in love with them lol.

98GTnSC

Reaction score

youd only get whatever the KBB value of the car is. none of the mods matter. if they wuda totaled my car i think i wuda gotten around $5k. only due to how low the mileage was for its age and how good the condition was

snoball

Reaction score

98GTnSC said:
youd only get whatever the KBB value of the car is. none of the mods matter. if they wuda totaled my car i think i wuda gotten around $5k. only due to how low the mileage was for its age and how good the condition was

Thats not true. Some insurance companies will pay more if you have receipts for all the parts on the car. My dad runs a bodyshop and it has happened a few times.

OP
OP
R

Rice_slayer

Reaction score

Snoball said:
98GTnSC said:

Thats not true. Some insurance companies will pay more if you have receipts for all the parts on the car. My dad runs a bodyshop and it has happened a few times.
Exactly, one of my cousin's friends had JUST finished a 347 stroker in an old fox body, some idiot ran a red light, t-boned him, and totaled the car. The engine was literally like 2 months old and they refunded ALL bills on the engine. My engine was just finished in March, first started it on March 17th so like 6 months old? If they DO total it and give me 12k, it might be hard to not start looking at an S197. My brother is telling me to keep my car though, I bought it off him and started modding it from stock and he loves it. I will fight my hardest though to get the car fixed, I don't want to lose my first car like this, I love this car and have spent all of my high school earnings practically on upgrading/maintaining the dam thing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDTag

Members online