Ebay CAI??

4.6 MoDRoD

Reaction score
Should i waste my money on one of those cheap CAI's available on ebay and slapping a K&N on it, or save up and get a real one?

Boomer!

Reaction score
Save your money, buy a JLT you won't regret it.... :thumb:

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
i've never seen proof of any CAI gaining power on a N/A 2V so go with what looks best and won't add any extra heat. I like the JLT/Demolet (Tunable Induction/K&N FIPK for our cars...they all fit well and will look good and none will get heat soaked.

Fryrice

Reaction score
What other mods do you have ? Dont waste your money on a CAI for a stock NPI . Your car does not use enough airflow and volume to benefit from a CAI or any other aftermarket intake .Save your money for mod;s that are really gonna bump your power up.

OP
OP

4.6 MoDRoD

Reaction score
Well, i just bought a 98 gt vert, and it's my first 4.6. I still have a 88 fox vert that i love btw (fox plug). Anyway, i'm only planning on bolt on mods for this car since the fox is already a runner, and this one is bone stock. I do however plan on doing the PI cam/intake swap on it though.

I wanted to shine up the engine bay a bit though, and the ebay cheap-o's don't look too bad. Has anyone used one?

warpspeed1414

Reaction score
I have the JLT on mine and like it. The following came from their web site:

"JLT’s intake systems for the 96-04 Mustang GT’s are all plastic, 4â€Âid tubing that has a smooth taper to 75mm at the throttle body end. These will work with all stock and aftermarket throttle bodies up to 75mm and most mass air sensors. All JLT kits are dyno tested and proven to perform. In testing both systems netted peak gains of 8-12 RWHP and showed gains as high as 15 RWHP. So, which kit is best for you? Well, the RAI is a great priced system that’s easy to install and looks great. The full CAI system gives a clean under the hood look and gets the filter and MAF in the fender well for a cool air charge."

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
I used to have one of those, I never even used it, it was totally junk. The fit sucked, and it would have leaked massive amounts of air. It also would have drawn air from under the hood, instead of in the fender.

I also used to have a UPR intake that left the filter hanging in the fenderwell, and the inevitable happened. It fell off and I didn't even know it for two or three days. I recomend JLT, or stock with the silencer pulled.

Fryrice

Reaction score
Jrgunn5150 said:
I used to have one of those, I never even used it, it was totally junk. The fit sucked, and it would have leaked massive amounts of air. It also would have drawn air from under the hood, instead of in the fender.

I also used to have a UPR intake that left the filter hanging in the fenderwell, and the inevitable happened. It fell off and I didn't even know it for two or three days. I recomend JLT, or stock with the silencer pulled.

I think quickstang_1994 was referring to a replacement air filter used with the stock housing ,which is what I have and you can see my sig. It doesn't draw a lot of hot air. Besides when your moving its not like its 200 degrees under there.

From what your sayin it seems like you may have some installation problems. 2 different brand aftermarket products failing is rare.

Whitepony

Reaction score
a cai may not add much power, but i could notice the difference. my car responds better and its easier to make the tires cherp.

ck5.0

Reaction score
Its not going to add much if any performance but I have seen it on a few cars and it spruces up the underhood. If looks are all your going for then its going to be fine. I have seen a few mustangs with it on.

Fryrice

Reaction score
Well,Im just the kind of guy that would rather put money towards HP than cosmetics. But I aint hatin.

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
the ebay CAI dos nothing bud put something shiny in the engine bay..i wouldnt bother with a JLT or an expensive intake until you do exhaust, udp and other bolt-ons.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Fryrice said:
Jrgunn5150 said:

I think quickstang_1994 was referring to a replacement air filter used with the stock housing ,which is what I have and you can see my sig. It doesn't draw a lot of hot air. Besides when your moving its not like its 200 degrees under there.

From what your sayin it seems like you may have some installation problems. 2 different brand aftermarket products failing is rare.

Having two fail isn't rare at all, these thing's aren't exactly engineered by NASA scientist's. The flange on the ebay one was badly tweaked, only two holes lined up with the MAF at a time, and it leaked. The UPR model is just a bad design plain and simple. The filter hangs in the fenderwell by a single hose clamp, with no support whatsoever. One good bump no matter how hard you crank on that clamp and it's coming off.

Fryrice

Reaction score
You could be right. But hell,I never order shit off E-Bay ,especially car parts. Nothin against you guys but Ive seen the shit they sell up there and a lot of it is crap.

Hybridbird

Reaction score
Hey Whitepony,where you from?The background stuff in your pic looks familiar as all hell... :banana:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online