Engine swap planning - analysis paralysis

07GtS197

Reaction score
This was the first bare block that came with my car. If you can't lift this you should start taking testosterone supplements or something.

It makes sense that you'd be as weak as your posts, though.

View attachment 15907
Says I can’t lift a bare aluminum block but posts a pic of himself not lifting a block and insults me. Wow, keep it up, you’re making yourself look like a tool.

FYI, I haven’t needed to lift a bare block. I don’t build four digit hp car such as yourself, supposedly. I buy mustangs to cruise in not to race. I haven’t needed to supercharge any of them. Does that make me weak or something? Pretty pathetic insult if you ask me.

This has turned into a pissing contest. Makoto, I don’t not like you but I don’t understand your fixation on me. You went out of your way to critique my post out of everyone else’s. Is there a specific reason? I’m just curious at this point.

Tim300wsm

Reaction score
74E3D6EE-5427-4FEB-BB56-DB87747850F4.png
Here is the swap you need

Attachments

• E154E608-DE2D-45CE-ABE1-48E0337C5FE4.png
    E154E608-DE2D-45CE-ABE1-48E0337C5FE4.png
    429.2 KB · Views: 5

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
suddenly the weight of the engine is not what concerns me about picking up as much as the price....

Makoto

Reaction score
Says I can’t lift a bare aluminum block but posts a pic of himself not lifting a block and insults me. Wow, keep it up, you’re making yourself look like a tool.

FYI, I haven’t needed to lift a bare block. I don’t build four digit hp car such as yourself, supposedly. I buy mustangs to cruise in not to race. I haven’t needed to supercharge any of them. Does that make me weak or something? Pretty pathetic insult if you ask me.

This has turned into a pissing contest. Makoto, I don’t not like you but I don’t understand your fixation on me. You went out of your way to critique my post out of everyone else’s. Is there a specific reason? I’m just curious at this point.

if you can't lift like 80 something lbs off the ground at all with one hand you need to stop taking estrogen or go see a doctor.
I mean, maybe you're 12 (which would explain a lot) so in that case I guess it'd make sense, too. Ya know?
That'd fit with your reading comprehension as well.

Mystery solved, gang, he's just a hacked off preteen :D

This was never a contest, dipshit.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Ok look, let’s keep the personal attacks at bay. If you guys want to trash talk, take it to the private messages or start your own thread. Right now we are cluttering up the original thread with irrelevant posts.

Keep it cordial.

Makoto

Reaction score
idunno, it might not go well for a guy that thinks 80 lbs is a lot of weight :D

Reaction score
I have a 351W block I picked up for $100. $2,000 will get me a stroker kit to punch it out to 427 CI. Another $1,500 will get a decent set of heads. I'll be going old school, carbureted, since this will be happening after my car reaches the age of emissions exemption (in two years). All in, about the price of a low-end junkyard coyote. And I'll have an easy 500 NA HP in a reliable, easily maintained engine. Yes, I'll have to swap the transmission. But going with the Windsor should make finding one fairly easy, and cheap, compared to finding one for a coyote swap.

Just another option to muddy the waters.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have a 351W block I picked up for $100. $2,000 will get me a stroker kit to punch it out to 427 CI. Another $1,500 will get a decent set of heads. I'll be going old school, carbureted, since this will be happening after my car reaches the age of emissions exemption (in two years). All in, about the price of a low-end junkyard coyote. And I'll have an easy 500 NA HP in a reliable, easily maintained engine. Yes, I'll have to swap the transmission. But going with the Windsor should make finding one fairly easy, and cheap, compared to finding one for a coyote swap.

Just another option to muddy the waters.
lets focus on what is important, will you need both arms to lift it? :)

Reaction score
lets focus on what is important, will you need both arms to lift it? :)
Yes. I lifted the block out of the car when I brought it home. It was definitely heavy. So I'm sure I'll need springs from a semi to hold up the nose of my car. May even need ballast in the trunk to keep the back wheels on the ground. No idea how cars existed before they invented aluminum. :)

Snorky

Reaction score
Going to stir the pot and say weight reduction, although beneficial does significantly less than a mild hp bump. In regards to power to weight ratio, say you make 500hp in your 3300 lb car, the same ratio with the aluminum block would roughly be 3220 lbs is 483hp. With the exception of open track and autoX. Those weight bias reductions in the corners make a more significant difference. In terms of drag.. not a huge difference. Maybe a tenth. Big when youre running 10s and faster, but if you are just fucking around with it. Meh.. get whatever block is more readily available or in better condition.

OP
OP
F

FullstackViking

Reaction score
Ok I am back from vacation...

my vortech v3 is quiet
Do you have any videos of it at idle/city cruising?

Intake valve area dictates hp potential. Prove me wrong
100% and why I prefer the 4v in every way besides aftermarket options.

You definitely want to go coyote over the built 2v. If you are resourceful you can do the coyote cheap. My gen 1 coyote swap made 436rwhp, ran 11.6x 1/4 in a 3500lbs car, and still managed to get 24ish mpg. Plus it runs smooth because it’s stock.
How much do you have into your swap? I'd happily do a gen2 f150 coyote, but every time I price out the swap on paper I'm over $10k.

Going to stir the pot and say weight reduction, although beneficial does significantly less than a mild hp bump. In regards to power to weight ratio, say you make 500hp in your 3300 lb car, the same ratio with the aluminum block would roughly be 3220 lbs is 483hp.
Weight isn't the be-all-end-all but in the case of the modular motor, the WAP and Teksid blocks are superior to the iron blocks and you can find them for super cheap as well. If I were to go to a pushrod design I would go the LS route instead of trying to modernize the 351 or 302. But yes I agree that weight savings on DOHC vs SOHC heads is negligible.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
"Intake valve area dictates hp potential. Prove me wrong"

"100% and why I prefer the 4v in every way besides aftermarket options."

My comment was directed towards the argument earlier in the post. Trying to change the direction away from it.

But you are right, 4v can breath better

Makoto

Reaction score
Going to stir the pot and say weight reduction, although beneficial does significantly less than a mild hp bump. In regards to power to weight ratio, say you make 500hp in your 3300 lb car, the same ratio with the aluminum block would roughly be 3220 lbs is 483hp. With the exception of open track and autoX. Those weight bias reductions in the corners make a more significant difference. In terms of drag.. not a huge difference. Maybe a tenth. Big when youre running 10s and faster, but if you are just fucking around with it. Meh.. get whatever block is more readily available or in better condition.

losing weight off the nose mainly only matters if you're concerned about handling. sounds like its focused on drag so its whatevs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online