Engine swap

tjmaxx

Reaction score
I have a 96 Mustang gt that I am considering doing an engine swap on with a used PI 4.6 from an 04 GT. I was going to do the PI swap but found this engine for $1250 or $1600 if I want Mac Long tube headers and the x-pipe to go with it. The engine has 29k miles on it. Does this sound like a decent price? And should I go with the Long tubes and x-pipe I think it sounds like the way to go. My car curently has and Mac off road x-pipe, Mac cat back, King Cobra clutch, Mac fenderwall intake, new plugs and wires, thats all the performance parts that have anything to do with the engine. Will those parts still work on the new engine? I also am wondering if my transmission will work fine? I think it will do fine I might need to rebuild it. I also have a brand new set of BBK pullies that are suppose to work for 96-01 GT's I assume these will not work on the 04 GT engine, because of some minor changes? This engine would be replacing a NPI engine with 120k on it. Also will the wiring harness work off of my car on the new engine?

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
4V's go for 2K all day on Ebay...... :thumb:

OP
OP
T

tjmaxx

Reaction score
Yea but this swap would probably be easier? Im thinking with my mods and this engine with the long tubes I should do low 13's, because I also have short shifter, MT ET streets on 15inch weld drag lites?

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Dropping in a 4V and a 2v are exactly the same. Bolts right in.

Thats a sick deal.

....But a 4V could go 12's

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
yeah bro the 04 engine bolst right in...
if you do LT's youll need a shorty mid pipe...
wiring harness is the same, UDP's wont bolt on due to diffrent water pump..
otherwise direct bolt in...might want to get it tuned afterwards :thumb:

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
4v's do "drop right in", then the work begins, getting the proper flywheel (if you need it), slightly modifing the harness to run it, goofing with your accessories and radiator hoses, ditching or figuring out how to run the IMRC's, getting it towed to a shop to get a tune.

Whereas a PI motor will drop in and go, no tune, no messing, everything you need will be there.

The motor you are looking at is a great deal. i guess the question is, are you looking to do a swap over the weekend and be up and running again? or do you have time to play?

OP
OP
T

tjmaxx

Reaction score
Well I will be having a great mechanic helping me and I dont need to drive my car it is just a weekend toy so if it takes a while it doesnt matter. I am considering not putting it in right away and selling the heads cams and intake off of it and buying performance ones which would hopefully put me around 300rwhp and I would definately run 12's I would hope.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Bah, for you, do a 4v.

Trust me, you don't want to sink 4 or 5k into a turd that will barely crack 300 rwhp, it's like a bad jokie Ford played on us.

OP
OP
T

tjmaxx

Reaction score
I want it to be as easy as possible without spending a whole lot of money. All I really want from this car is to get into the 12's because I would like to eventually keep this car and either build a Fox Body or a Terminator. Do you think it is possible to hit 12's with this engine swap and my set up? I plan to also get an Xcal.

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
tjmaxx said:
I want it to be as easy as possible without spending a whole lot of money. All I really want from this car is to get into the 12's because I would like to eventually keep this car and either build a Fox Body or a Terminator. Do you think it is possible to hit 12's with this engine swap and my set up? I plan to also get an Xcal.
Into the 12's....
Foxlake heads and VT stg II's and a tune and of course (at least a midpipe) an exhaust.
Absolutely :thumb:

voidfinger

Reaction score
maybe with the driver mod and sticky tires and high clutch drops :coolsmiley:

OP
OP
T

tjmaxx

Reaction score
It better run 13's otherwise next year I will get a Cobra lol. I dont want to get rid of my purple stang it attracs so much attention.

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
purple stang = da shit :thumb:

there just awesome rare...like the aztec gold and that crazy orange

voidfinger

Reaction score
Yea my favorit color is the deep violet and the autumn orange. My budy had a 97 A. Orange and he sold it before he passed and now his brother bought it back from the guy and is trying to restore it. Very nice car.

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
could go even farther, be smarter, and go faster, dare i say.. drop in a 351 windsor! mow powa :bunny3: after my experiences, with lightnings and cobras and gts.. 4.6's are to expensive to justify them as really worth making go fast. 5.0/5.8 are cheaapppp and are pretty quick. I'm going back to 5.0s and FE big blocks this summer, 390 :thumb:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srchop16

Members online