engine swapping

raymond

Reaction score
so i have a 1997 cobra with a hydrolocked motor and a 99 cobra motor perfect condition. so im wondering if the 99 motor will drop straight in or will i have to change anything? any help is appreciated, Thanks

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Long as the 99 cobra engin ed has the intake manifold, youll be fine for the most part. There will be a few hiccups, but nothing that cant be sorted out easily

OP
OP
R

raymond

Reaction score
Long as the 99 cobra engin ed has the intake manifold, youll be fine for the most part. There will be a few hiccups, but nothing that cant be sorted out easily

it does have the intake manifold as does the old one so ill have 2 of pretty much everything, but even with all the wiring, fuel lines, and everything else is the same?

PinkieT

Reaction score
Never worked on Cobra motors, so I may be talking out of my butt. If you take the intake, wiring, and plumbing off the 97 and put it on the 99, wouldn't that just plug right in?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The head intake port design changed dramatically in 99. The 96-98 cobra and 93-98 lincoln 4v heads had 2 seperate intake ports where as the 99-up switch to one port and resembles nothing like the older port shape.

PinkieT

Reaction score
The head intake port design changed dramatically in 99. The 96-98 cobra and 93-98 lincoln 4v heads had 2 seperate intake ports where as the 99-up switch to one port and resembles nothing like the older port shape.

Thanks for educating me. That is why I like this forum - so much good info.

OP
OP
R

raymond

Reaction score
Never worked on Cobra motors, so I may be talking out of my butt. If you take the intake, wiring, and plumbing off the 97 and put it on the 99, wouldn't that just plug right in?

Maybe but im just checking to see if it’ll be easier to do one thing or another hoping someone has done this before and has experience

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Google 98 cobra C head swap and look at what people are doing. There are a couple small things, like 96blak54 said, that have to be sorted out. Fuel rails are different, some wiring needs to be changed up, a couple things have to be done. The engine physically fits in there, just has to be adapted. You also cannot just swap wiring because the two cars are very different. You need to keep your stock harness and modify it.

OP
OP
R

raymond

Reaction score
Google 98 cobra C head swap and look at what people are doing. There are a couple small things, like 96blak54 said, that have to be sorted out. Fuel rails are different, some wiring needs to be changed up, a couple things have to be done. The engine physically fits in there, just has to be adapted. You also cannot just swap wiring because the two cars are very different. You need to keep your stock harness and modify it.

Thanks for the help!!

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
I’ll know more week to week. Here are a few things we’ve encountered up to this point:

1) Move the IAC from front, left (drivers side) to the rear, right of the intake. You’ll need to clip the wire and extend it. Cut, strip, solder and heat shrink. If you use butt connectors or wire nuts, I will ban you :)

2) You can reuse the 96-98 fuel rails but you have to revamp the mounting points. I have examples of this in my build thread.

You need to decide if you want to retain the coils/plug wires or switch to a coil on plug, ignition setup.

You will need a 99/01 Cobra type cold air.

OP
OP
R

raymond

Reaction score
I’ll know more week to week. Here are a few things we’ve encountered up to this point:

1) Move the IAC from front, left (drivers side) to the rear, right of the intake. You’ll need to clip the wire and extend it. Cut, strip, solder and heat shrink. If you use butt connectors or wire nuts, I will ban you :)

2) You can reuse the 96-98 fuel rails but you have to revamp the mounting points. I have examples of this in my build thread.

You need to decide if you want to retain the coils/plug wires or switch to a coil on plug, ignition setup.

will the 99 wiring harness go straight into the 97 harness? because i also have the engine harness.

OP
OP
R

raymond

Reaction score

just got the engine today, started getting stuff taken apart and putting some on, ran into the problem with the fuel rails. can you link me this thread.

Find anything else that will have to change?

OP
OP
R

raymond

Reaction score
anyone have a recommendation for a clutch, its going to be a daily driver but i want to put some thing more "street duty" in the thing. its not pushing crazy power or anything its going to have intake and a full exhaust for now also

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online