engine swapping

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Doesnt matter what shelf it comes from, they all made by valero clutchs. Mine is an autozone special. I will say the same amount of money can be spent on a namebrand clutch however i suspected the clutch to be slipping once before and informed an autozone friend. He said "its got lifetime warranty, bring it in and we will swap it for a new one". I did just that! Found out the clutch cable was set to tight, clutch was slipping. Now its all set correctly and going strong

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Thanks for the cams!!! TIs not that bad of a swap.. You'll need a throttle cable from the cobra or mack 1..

OP
OP
R

raymond

Reaction score
Thanks for the cams!!! TIs not that bad of a swap.. You'll need a throttle cable from the cobra or mack 1..

No problem man!! And I have the one from the cobra, know any places near that resurface flywheels?

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
on SVT there is a guy who was selling adapters to use the C heads with the B intake manifold. may be worth checking out. then everything bolts up and the llnkage will be the same.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
No problem man!! And I have the one from the cobra, know any places near that resurface flywheels?
Guess I should of been more specific.. 99+cobra or mach1.. Any machine shop will do it.. Your kind of far from me not sure what you have around..

OP
OP
R

raymond

Reaction score
putting on wiring today and ran into a problem, the knock sensors arent a direct switch over. i have the harness from the 99 cobra but it has extra things i done need and the 97 harness would be better. anybody have a clue on what colors are what for the knock sensors on a 99 cobra harness.
i took a small guess with the help of my ford mechanic neighbor and we got that the harness on the 97 return is gray/red and signal is yellow on one side andgreen on the other. but couldnt figure it out on the 99, the colors on the 99 harness are green/white and green/ purple for one side and the other yellow and yellow/ red

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Out of my league here. [MENTION=20210]lwarrior1016[/MENTION] do you know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Im sorry I havent been following the thread. Reading back, it looks like you are putting a 99 cobra engine in a 97 car. Are you trying to use the 99 harness or the 97 harness?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Ok, so youre using your factory harness and it will not plug in to the knock sensors on the c head engine. Got it now, but that brings me to the next point. I am no help. I dont know if the newer knock sensors are going to be compatible with the older ecu.

OP
OP
R

raymond

Reaction score
If my memory serves me right 96-98 there are no knock sensors on mustangs.

I don’t think there were on the 2v but I think there are on the 4v, or maybe I’m completely confused. But I looked over wiring diagrams and found knock sensors on a “typical 4vâ€

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Can you bolt the 97 knock sensors to the 99 block? I remember at some point the bolt size changed, but can't remember when.

OP
OP
R

raymond

Reaction score
Can you bolt the 97 knock sensors to the 99 block? I remember at some point the bolt size changed, but can't remember when.

No, sadly I tried that and the threads on the 97 were a lot bigger then the 99

OP
OP
R

raymond

Reaction score
alright guys, i died off from the project for a little but now im back. and with more problems. so engines in and everything, has no fire. i ended up seeing alot about either crank position sensor or ecu... got the specs for a crank sensor and the crank sensor was good. so got a new ecu like a dummy and now the theft light flashes fast, and also gave the old one as a core. so now i know that the ecu needs to be reprogrammed and everything, but do i need to take the whole car to a dealer or can i take just the ecu and vin. or is that something a mobile ecu reprogramming service can do

01yellercobra

Reaction score
What about having your tuner send you a tune with the PATS turned off?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online