Failed my emission inspection with my UPR catted X pipe?

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
The only state worried about carb# related parts is CA lol.

Sucks they visually check. I mean WTF does that matter, if the numbers, on a computer. Say you are good and within the legal limits of the car? Ya know? Its dumb.

sk1tskat

Reaction score
I don't understand why he can't swap the h pipe himself ? **** my ex gf used to change hers on her 2v gt herself , that makes her more of a man then you [MENTION=16788]Darhawk[/MENTION]

Lol yeah not once has he noted he'll do that, after quite a few of us have told him to do so..

sk1tskat

Reaction score

Sucks they visually check. I mean WTF does that matter, if the numbers, on a computer. Say you are good and within the legal limits of the car? Ya know? Its dumb.

I've never heard of a fail due to visual inspection, like you say if the numbers are good I don't know what the big deal is.

Never have these problems in TX...

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Lol yeah not once has he noted he'll do that, after quite a few of us have told him to do so..

Yea he stated Midas wants like 150 to do it , are you kidding me it takes like 30 mins to do it at home and that's on jack stands . Maybe of you had a 2v or 4v I'd understand a little because a lot of people complain about the passenger side .

OP
OP
Darhawk

Darhawk

Reaction score
I don't understand why he can't swap the h pipe himself ? **** my ex gf used to change hers on her 2v gt herself , that makes her more of a man then you Darhawk

It's not that I can't do it...It's that I don't have enough tools to do all by myself. I am prolly actually going to be swapping it out this weekend, myself if I can round up a buddy.

Walking Tall

Reaction score
That sucks. My BBK H with gutted cats has a port for the smog hose. If its just a quick inspection then maybe you can rig up the air hose. I had a very noticeable exhaust leak when mine was open.

RichV

Reaction score
Pm me if you want to drop by and we can swap it. I have all the tools at my casa.

RichV

Reaction score
no they are ran by independent shops. i didnt realize that, is it state wide my brother in law is in grand junction and i know the state wouldnt pass his stuff.

in that case i would find proof the pipe is street legal and show them that paper and just have the hose welded in

No. Denver and surrounding is most common. Outlying areas don't require testing I'm about 10 miles away from 'the line', so I don't require testing. But people 10 miles from me closer to Denver have to test.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
No. Denver and surrounding is most common. Outlying areas don't require testing I'm about 10 miles away from 'the line', so I don't require testing. But people 10 miles from me closer to Denver have to test.

same here in Ga. Only the few counties around the major cities get tested. I'm inside the line by 10 miles. I still have 5 more years on the Mustang till it's exempt

OP
OP
Darhawk

Darhawk

Reaction score
Well I got the Original mid pipe back in place. I also went through the emissions today and PASSED! It was a pretty easy to get done. I a lot easier than I when I first panicked.

So today when I went through before I got out of the car and they even had a chance to look under it , I asked them why wouldn't I have passed with the 2 cats I had on before! They said this model car needs 4 cats! So I guess the first person I talked too, didn't know the real reason. Plus the smog pump hose needed to be connected but I replied with yeah that is done this time.

So life is going to be a mid pipe swap every year, even if I get a name brand one with only 2 cats? What a pain...... I don't know how you guys pass with BBK type mids and not have to swap every time. I don't know if I want to play this x pipe game. Might have to do something custom.

My reading were lower on the stock pipe and I have those if peeps are interested...

OP
OP
Darhawk

Darhawk

Reaction score
Next year try a different inspection center they may let you slide
Yeah that is a good idea...I get two years to figure it all out. I am just glad I passed and now I can get my sticker Sept 1st I am expired!

I APPRECIATE EVERYONES FEEDBACK ON THIS! :)

cobraracer46

Reaction score

New York has followed California's lead by requiring CARB approved cat converters and no doubt more states will do so as well. By the way, in my opinion, you are wasting your money if you buy a "high flow" mid pipe as that mod adds no power and as this tread has shown, messing with the mid pipe can be a hassle as well at registration time.
About the only exhaust mod that's worth the time and money is a cat back swap. However, I would never touch the exhaust on a 1994-2004 V6 car or the 2013 GT500.

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
New York has followed California's lead by requiring CARB approved cat converters and no doubt more states will do so as well. By the way, in my opinion, you are wasting your money if you buy a "high flow" mid pipe as that mod adds no power and as this tread has shown, messing with the mid pipe can be a hassle as well at registration time.
About the only exhaust mod that's worth the time and money is a cat back swap. However, I would never touch the exhaust on a 1994-2004 V6 car or the 2013 GT500.

I was kind of making a joke at how shitty CA is. They care about the carb cert on more than just the exhaust.

Your kidding me right? A catback is the best exhaust mod to do? For sound sure!!! Otherwise what purpose does it serve? A whopping gain in power right? lol
This serves about as much of a purpose as your gold foil wrap

And you wouldnt touch an exhaust on a 2013 GT500? Why? I would highly suggest it on that car. Picks up some good gains from changing the exhaust. Ive tuned one.. K thanks

cobraracer46

Reaction score
I was kind of making a joke at how shitty CA is. They care about the carb cert on more than just the exhaust.

Your kidding me right? A catback is the best exhaust mod to do? For sound sure!!! Otherwise what purpose does it serve? A whopping gain in power right? lol
This serves about as much of a purpose as your gold foil wrap

And you wouldnt touch an exhaust on a 2013 GT500? Why? I would highly suggest it on that car. Picks up some good gains from changing the exhaust. Ive tuned one.. K thanks

On a V6 mustang, exhaust mods are worth Zero HP. Worse still, Aftermarket exhaust mods on the v6 cars make them sound like ass and only serve to add noise. Waste of time and money. These days, auto manufactures are turing out cars that are so good right out of the box, that it's not really nessary to phuq with them. Shit man, the 2013 GT500 has over 600HP and a 200 mile an hour top speed right off the showroom floor. A heavilly modded 1994 mustang would have a hard time matching the the perofrmance of a stock 2013 GT500.

While not a mustang, there is no way I would change the exhaust on this show room stock car
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjhocJ4QgBk

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
On a V6 mustang, exhaust mods are worth Zero HP. Worse still, Aftermarket exhaust mods on the v6 cars make them sound like ass and only serve to add noise. Waste of time and money. These days, auto manufactures are turing out cars that are so good right out of the box, that it's not really nessary to phuq with them. Shit man, the 2013 GT500 has over 600HP and a 200 mile an hour top speed right off the showroom floor. A heavilly modded 1994 mustang would have a hard time matching the the perofrmance of a stock 2013 GT500.

While not a mustang, there is no way I would change the exhaust on this show room stock car
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjhocJ4QgBk

Dude what in the **** are you talking about? Now you are saying that it only doesnt matter on V6s? I never mentioned a V6.. You said the only exhaust mod on ANY car that is worthwhile is a catback. Sooo for power gains or what? Because that is total BS? Cars do see gains from midpipes and LTs. Moreso than stock

And wow. You can look at numbers. Actually it was 650hp. And yes they hit over 200 once. But it is so hard and requires so much room in that car, not many people will ever see 200. Thank you aerodynamics of a brick.

But basically your argument is the gt500 has a lot of power. So any mod to it is stupid huh? You said any exhaust mod on any mod motor car is pointless. When in fact, it isn't. The catback is not the only mod worth doing. SPECIALLY on a 13+ gt500 or new 5.0 when there are proven gains from taking off the factory cats.
Yes manufacturers tune the cars very well from the factory. But there is still always room to be had. Why a tune alone on newer 5.0s and gt500s nets a good gain. Why modifications on these cars net such a good gain. There is still always room for improvement.

Btw. I have dyno tuned a 13gt500. Care to try and prove to me, once again, with BS links and nonsense, that taking the factory cats off doesn't net any power?

stop changing your story and what you are talking about with me man. You flip flop and say things that are like your original argument, but change it oh so slightly. Friggin retarded.

AND WHO THE ****!!!!! ever mentioned a heavily modified 1994 5.0 vs a 13 gt500? What kind of drugs are you on? What argument are you actually making?
MustangChris

and great.. my post looks like a jumbled mess. Get so frustrated at reading your nonsense and trying to respond without writing pages since its a lost cause

cobraracer46

Reaction score
Dude what in the **** are you talking about?You said the only exhaust mod on ANY car that is worthwhile is a catback. Sooo for power gains or what? Because that is total BS? Cars do see gains from midpipes and LTs. Moreso than stock

A cat back system can be worth some power on some cars, but not of of them. I assume that most people do exhaust mods for sound though.

By the way, "high flow" or "straight" mid pipes add virtually NO power( 2 HP maybe on a good day) and if you doubt this, post up a back to back dyno between the factory mid pipe and a "high flow" mid pipe with no other changes. Don't post a X-pipe and headers dyno, a High flow mid pipe and tune dyno, a high flow mid pipe and pulley dyno. Only post a true factory mid pipe vs high flow mid pipe back to back dyno with NO other changes and you will see that "aftermarket high flow or straight pipes" are waste and worth No HP. The fact that High flow mid pipes are worthless form a HP standpoint is not something that people like Shifty powers want to hear, but it is what it is.

BY the way, the point I was making with the GT500 is that it makes a ton of power with all the pollution control equipment intact, goes really fast and sound great, right off the show room floor and it's fine as is for most people as is.

Not to pick on the OP, but just as an example, the OP's car with that illegal mid pipe will not come even remotely close to matching the performance of a 100% legal and stock 2013GT500.

High flow Mid pipes: waste of time, money and a source of aggravation at registration time. My 2001 Cobra rolls on the factory mid pipe by the way in case anybody is wondering.

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
But taking off the cats will still help free up some HP on a car. Specially on newer cars. I have proof on a 2013GT500 but it has other mods on it as well in between runs that you may say effects it. but the gains from taking off the cats was there non the less.
Do I want to post this dyno sheet. Yes. Will I? No. Not for you
Just an FYI - It picked up 20hp/20tq
Newer 5.0s pick up about 10

We all know comparing a bolt on 94 to a brand new 13gt500 is asinine. So I dont know why you are doing so. He wasnt comparing his to that car. So.. yea..

Your car wouldnt come close either. But no one was ever comparing that.. lord

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yea a off road mid pipe helps you might not gain much power but I picked up a few tenths on the 1/4

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online

No members online now.