Finally have a beater!

Wild Horses

Reaction score
My new gas saver. 04 accord coupe. I paid $0 for this car. Just did about 30 hours of book labor on a non mechanically inclined persons sn95. Only paid for minimum tax tags and title.

had a bunch of ricer stuff on it, like a body kit and carbon fiber hood. Took it all off. Leather heated seats and fully loaded. 140k miles. Should get another 300 out of it. Only thing was the title says salvage cause it was completely repainted and had new glass all the way around including the sunroof from a hail storm. I can't see that totaling an 04 honda accord but whatever. I love it. Just got though my first tank of gas and it gets exactly what Google says. 27-31 mpg!! I've had these k series honda motors come in the shop with no oil in them still purring like a kitten.

My my mustang was getting 16mpg or so and was my daily for the last 8 months. 75 mile round trip to work every day sucked in that thing. Put about at least 10k miles on it. Feels so good to know she's not racking up miles and staying nice and clean in the garage. And now when I work on it it doesn't HAVE TO BE DONE BY MONDAY MORNING!!!!! That's my favorite part of this beater.

image_zps96468434.jpg

image_zpsec80eb12.jpg

image_zps5e4718a0.jpg

image_zps73edfca2.jpg

pretty nice for free right?

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Now I can take my time doing this PI head swap everyone keeps talking about. I'm kinda ready to see what all the fuss is about.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Beaters are the best.

I drive my car once a month now that I have a daily. How are you liking that Vtec? Bet it pulls like a freight train.

SnakeMedic

Reaction score
Sweet "beater", especially for free! Those things totally bulletproof. You can't kill them. Just one question though.... Are you leaving that exhaust on?? :grin:

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Nice Honduh.. But How are you getting 16 mpg? I'm averaging 22 in my NPI shitbox..

Got 4:10 gears? I do. If I didn't I bet I'd be around 18-20 mpg highway. That, and ever since the PI intake/cams swap, the thing just guzzles gas. It's insane. Thought when I got the custom tunes it'd help it out a bit with the timing advanced. Nope. But yea... I'm at like 23-2400 rpm just trying to stay with traffic. So I think my highway mpg is worse. Was spending $100 per week in gas going to and from work. I spent 45 last week in this little 2.4 accord.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Sweet "beater", especially for free! Those things totally bulletproof. You can't kill them. Just one question though.... Are you leaving that exhaust on?? :grin:

I know! Like I said.. I've seen them come in the shop literally with NO OIL AT ALL still running fine. And no. It's coming off of there. It's like the worst tone that perfectly matches the person talking on my cellphone so I can't hear an effing word they're saying. Gonna get the stock v6 dual exhaust from the rear axle back. Hopefully it'll STFU.

SnakeMedic

Reaction score
I know! Like I said.. I've seen them come in the shop literally with NO OIL AT ALL still running fine. And no. It's coming off of there. It's like the worst tone that perfectly matches the person talking on my cellphone so I can't hear an effing word they're saying. Gonna get the stock v6 dual exhaust from the rear axle back. Hopefully it'll STFU.

chuck-norris-thumbs-up-dodgeball-gif.gif

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Should have kept the ricer stuff on it.
Beaters are always good!

I like to drive without feeling like I'm some 16yo kid in moms honda that he hooked up. (With ever police officer in the area debating on pulling me over just because. Haha.

Forgot I had this pic. Looked like this but was completely falling apart. Those wheels are way too small for that huge wide kit.
EF THAT CRAP, SIR.

image_zps89f0cb33.jpg

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
Nice I just got my first beater also. 96 accord and I barely drive my mustang now. Does that accord have the Shitty hub over rotor brake design???

I get 26 mpg every time with 100% city driving
* Sent from tapatalk while sitting on the toilet at work*

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Nice I just got my first beater also. 96 accord and I barely drive my mustang now. Does that accord have the Shitty hub over rotor brake design???

I get 26 mpg every time with 100% city driving
* Sent from tapatalk while sitting on the toilet at work*

Its a lovely thing isnt it?

I know know what you're talking about and no not this accord. This one was completely redesigned and based on the Japanese honda TSX or TL. Can't remember. But it's a lot different than the older 90s Hondas. I love my heated seats in the morning. I used em today. So nice.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
The before picture doesn't look horrible.

Agreed. But I can make pretty much anything look good in a picture. That hood was completely plastidipped. All of the body kit paint was flaking off. Those headlights are sanded down with like 180 grit sand paper because he didn't know paint thinner takes headlight blackout off. Could barely see at night even with 8000k HIDs. Oh the front body kit bumper was cracked from all the snow we got last year. Had nothing holding it on the car except it's own weight. The hood had these rusted up hood pins that wouldn't let the hood pop open and they were a ***** to slide out. No grille. Had to buy that aftermarket one in the first pics. It was a mess. Does look OK in that pic. But many bs things seen in person made me want that stuff gone forever. Love those HID headlights in the stock lenses though. Very very bright.

i knew there was a nice little honda under the mess though. And Hondas love to hang on to resale value. Especially in factory form. My goal is to flip it in a year and buy a used ranger with payments then use the money from the honda for a procharger and corbeaus. I'd have to swap heads back but EF it for 350 rwhp. Heh

SnakeMedic

Reaction score
Agreed on getting rid of the body kit, and the reasons for doing so.

Dang, all you guys talk about these crazy good MPGs with your beaters. My Cobra gets better MPG than my "beater", which is a 14 Silverado. But then again I I did not buy either the Cobra or Silverado for MPGs.

Cool thing is an Accord V6 coupe is not Civic slow. Good MPGs and good power combined with ridiculous reliability. Fantastic choice all around.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
this wasnt a thread about Ray Rice at ALL......

congrats on the new whip! I'd change up the wheels (i like the style, just too small) and call it good.... :-D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online