First real numbers from the blue car

Hellion94

Reaction score
So we finally got to make some full passes last night, and the car did very well. This weekend was one of our No Bull Shootout deals here in Albuquerque, so they were prepping the track somewhat (the staff here SUCKS). So anyway, we got the car unloaded, got everything set up and checked in and decided to make the first hit at around 7:30PM, so it was still pretty warm outside, and the track was still pretty hot. Our goal for the night were to just try and get the car to do a full pass, and to try and make it into the 6's in the 1/8th mile. The first pass was just going to be an 1/8th mile hit. Here's the breakdown of that pass:

Brian pulled the car through the water, and the line loc finally held, so he did a pretty decent burnout, however, the tires stopped spinning while he was still in the water a little bit, so we backed him up and had him just stand on it to clean them off.

staged the car, put it on the transbrake, sounded good

Launched the car, but it didn't transfer any weight and just started spinning (enough to see smoke on the tires) for the first 100 ft. 1.527 60ft. time

after the first 100, the car straightened out and took off, and the 1-2 shift was clean (although we still haven't figured out the tach/shift light and how to set it :-[)

as he crosses the 1/8th mile, we look up to see the time...6.54 seconds. I go crazy. That's half a second faster than what I was expecting, I was pumped. It was about this time that I noticed that Brian was still in it, shifting into third.

All eyes are back on the clock as he passes through the traps....

10.19 @ 134

My Jaw DROPS. The car just went a 10.19 on it's FIRST FULL PASS EVER. and on a shitty track no less...at altitude...while SPINNING!

We all freak out and head back to the trailer to meet a shocked Brian, who couldn't believe his eyes. He said it felt slow, like a high 10 maybe, and that the car was really easy to control. So all this is good news.

So as we look at it, we realize that if we can get it to hook, with the cooler air of the night, we could run a 9 tonight. So we get to work setting up the suspension, and cooling the car off.

So it's about another 2 hours before we are able to run again, here's the breakdown of the second run:

not a very good burnout this time, car went a little sideways, and didn't really get a lot of smoke from the tires, but it rolled out under power, so they were clean and warm.

Brian stages the car and puts it up on the brake. It hold for the first bulb (sportsman tree) but then starts to push through the brake.

Brian goes WAY red, like a -.579, as the car creeps through the lights, starting the clocks. he tries to stop it from rolling, but decides just to get on it and go, so launching off of no brake, he just goes and the car hooks (which it should with no transbrake)

Car goes dead straight and look like it's going fast, 6.75 to the eight this time because of the starting line situation

stay in it and crosses the stripe. We all look up in a halfhearted disappointment cause we know it wont be spectacular

10.40....@ 138! 138 miles an hour!

The car picked up 4 mph. the plugs showed that it had leaned out some from it's REALLY rich condition earlier, and that was probably the reason for the increase.

after talking to John and Mike, and comparing notes with other cars of similar power/weight etc.. we figured the pass would have been about a 9.80 based on the mph, had it had a clean launch. We couldn't be happier at this point. The car had totally exceeded our expectations. Goal for the next time out is to leave the tune alone, try and figure out the shift light so we can actually shift at the same place every run, and see if we can get that 9 before we start stepping up the power.

Overall, a very good night.

WyoTechMSA

Reaction score
Oh yea, congrats on the good runs, sounds like 9s are just in the setup

OP
OP
H

Hellion94

Reaction score
WyoTechMSA said:
^ No hes, he hasnt even hooked up the naws yet yo

TRUBBLE has yet to hook up his nitrous, but we have also not stepped our car up yet either. Right now we are at the LOWEST amount of boost we can possibly run, we are making a little less than half of the power we are aiming to produce.

So as of right now, TRUBBLE's car and our car are about in the same boat. he's got his setup, and we have our, but there is still a TON left in each.

TRUUBLE

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
Hellion94 said:
WyoTechMSA said:
^ No hes, he hasnt even hooked up the naws yet yo

TRUBBLE has yet to hook up his nitrous, but we have also not stepped our car up yet either. Right now we are at the LOWEST amount of boost we can possibly run, we are making a little less than half of the power we are aiming to produce.

So as of right now, TRUBBLE's car and our car are about in the same boat. he's got his setup, and we have our, but there is still a TON left in each.

Great runs for shakedown passes, Craig. You have to be stoked!! Nice job, my friend. O0

10.19 is the best my car has ever run, and it's never mph'd 134 . . let alone 138.

Looks like I better get this stuff hooked up!!

[attachment deleted by admin]

TRUUBLE

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
WyoTechMSA said:
^Thats alotta nitrous :noes:

It's actually only a 300 shot. The same kit comes in a 500 shot and a 1,000 shot configuration. I decided to practice a bit of moderation . . . ???

Speaking of moderation . . . here's a screen shot of how the progressive controller works . .

[attachment deleted by admin]

TRUUBLE

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
Craig . . what was your mph at the 1/8 mile? I'm guessing 108 or so?

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Hellion - do you have a progressive boost controller on that car?

OP
OP
H

Hellion94

Reaction score
TRUUBLE said:
Craig . . what was your mph at the 1/8 mile? I'm guessing 108 or so?

113 on the 10.19 and 114 on the 138 mph pass. I'll get the slips tom. and post them up...like I said, it spins off the line..

Paul said:
Hellion - do you have a progressive boost controller on that car?

It's a blower car, so the only boost controller we have is the pulley ;). Car makes 12 lbs. of boost as it is right now, and it's non-intercooled.

TRUBBLE- I was incredibly stoked. I was in total shock when it ran the 10.19 - you should have seen how bad it spun.

OP
OP
H

Hellion94

Reaction score
I think the funniest thing about our car and the passes we've made at this point, is how little we actually know about the passes. We don't know the launch RPM, shift RPM, gear ratio in the rear, air/fuel ratio, intake temps, spring rates, blower RPM, and I'm not even totally sure what the total timing is right now. But we are going to have the data acquisition on the EPEC hooked up the next time we got out, as well as the tach fixed and shift light set, and also the launch RPM figured out. So hopefully that stuff will help us get the car a little further dialed in before we turn the boost up.

TRUUBLE

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
Well . . congrats, brother. That thing is going to be a contender when you get it all dialed in.

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
you can always get a wastegate for ur supercharger but i think u have to have an intercooler, im not sure

OP
OP
H

Hellion94

Reaction score
realitygt said:
you can always get a wastegate for ur supercharger but i think u have to have an intercooler, im not sure

I think you're a little confused.

It is possible to put a wastegate on a supercharged car, but it would be completely pointless. A wastegate controls boost levels through vacuum, or electronically if it's electric. On a supercharged car, the boost is controlled by the pulley size. In a centrifugally supercharged car, like ours, the boost gets higher with the rpm, unlike a roots blower, which can hit full boost almost immediately. Turbo's also hit boost rapidly, not rapidly as in early in the rpm range necessarily, but their boost comes in all at once. That's why they are equipped with wastegates, to control not only the amount, but also how fast it comes on.

With a blower like ours, we aren't making 12 lbs. of boost until about 4000 rpm, when the blower is spinning fast enough to make it, so using a wastegate to control the boost would be pointless, as it is controlled by the rpm of the engine.

And no, there are no requirements at all for running a wastegate, you don't need an intercooler, or anything, as those parts are unassociated with boost levels or control.

TheBab

Reaction score
I thought my car was quick.. :(

You trap in the 1/8th almost what I trap in the 1/4... :(

:lame: :'(

OP
OP
H

Hellion94

Reaction score
here's a picture of the car on the 10.19 run, just after it stopped spinning.

DSC_0289.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online