First real numbers from the blue car

Greggerex

Reaction score
That is an AWESOME picture.

I love how it's perfectly focused on the car and the background is a blur! O0

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Hellion - you could hook up a wastegate if you had a good standalone, or a good boost controller. Just pulley the car up for a ton of boost, attach a GM boost solenoid to your wastegate, and you'd be able to set up a progressive boost control and limit max boost.

There's an article about a similar setup in some Mustang mag this month. I had thought about something like this some time back, and I know from talking to some friends of mine who are good with standalones that it is feasible. I have an AEM in my car, and it has a progressive boost controller built into the ECU. I think the latest FAST XFI has similar capabilities, but I don't have personal experience with them so I couldn't tell you for sure. If I had to do it again, I'd go with an XFI. I know from experience that the AEM doesn't like Ford TFI ignition very much, and the only way to cure the stupid timing errors you get is to attach a crank trigger. If you have to do that, might as well just get an XFI.

Wow, that was a lot of acronyms.

Carry on. :)

Paul.

OP
OP
H

Hellion94

Reaction score
Paul said:
Hellion - you could hook up a wastegate if you had a good standalone, or a good boost controller. Just pulley the car up for a ton of boost, attach a GM boost solenoid to your wastegate, and you'd be able to set up a progressive boost control and limit max boost.

There's an article about a similar setup in some Mustang mag this month. I had thought about something like this some time back, and I know from talking to some friends of mine who are good with standalones that it is feasible. I have an AEM in my car, and it has a progressive boost controller built into the ECU. I think the latest FAST XFI has similar capabilities, but I don't have personal experience with them so I couldn't tell you for sure. If I had to do it again, I'd go with an XFI. I know from experience that the AEM doesn't like Ford TFI ignition very much, and the only way to cure the stupid timing errors you get is to attach a crank trigger. If you have to do that, might as well just get an XFI.

Wow, that was a lot of acronyms.

Carry on. :)

Paul.

It's definitely a possibility, i'm not denying that, it would simply be totally pointless for this application. In NMRA Renegade (the class the car was built for) you are mandated an 8 rib pulley. This means that you have to run an 8-rib serpentine belt for the blower, no cogs. Slippage and boost production are huge problems in this class, so to limit boost further with a wastegate of some sort would be like 2 steps back for us.

Trust me when I say we are going to need every ounce of boost as soon as possible to be competitive.

It would be a great option for a very high horsepower setup that needed big top end power, but wanted to control bottom end power. Like a true 10.5 inch tire car with 1500 or so hp. Then that would probably be a great idea, but for us, I think it would be more of a handicap.

Heads up classes in sanctioning bodies these days don't leave a ton of room for innovation, sadly.. :(

OP
OP
H

Hellion94

Reaction score
Eric_94cobra said:
Looks good! What size and make of tire?

Thanks, they are just your everyday 28X10.5 Mickey Thompsons, on 15x10 ProStars

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Hellion94 said:
It's definitely a possibility, i'm not denying that, it would simply be totally pointless for this application. In NMRA Renegade (the class the car was built for) you are mandated an 8 rib pulley. This means that you have to run an 8-rib serpentine belt for the blower, no cogs. Slippage and boost production are huge problems in this class, so to limit boost further with a wastegate of some sort would be like 2 steps back for us.

Trust me when I say we are going to need every ounce of boost as soon as possible to be competitive.

It would be a great option for a very high horsepower setup that needed big top end power, but wanted to control bottom end power. Like a true 10.5 inch tire car with 1500 or so hp. Then that would probably be a great idea, but for us, I think it would be more of a handicap.

Heads up classes in sanctioning bodies these days don't leave a ton of room for innovation, sadly.. :(

Bummer. Eight-rib pulleys! Holy crap that is a huge limiting factor when trying to make mega-boost.

Thanks for the education. Oh and BTW - I think the car is awesome and great job doing all the work yourself. That is very satisfying.

Paul.

TRUUBLE

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
Hellion94 said:
Thanks Paul, i really appreciate that.

I thought you hired Billy Glidden and Tim Lynch to build it . . . :dunno:

OP
OP
H

Hellion94

Reaction score
I posted this in the build thread, but I though I might as well post it in here too.

I took some "finished" pictures of the car, how it sits today, and thought I'd share them with my SN95Forums homies.

Enjoy.

Ahh, finished...

P1010095.jpg

Sits nice

P1010097.jpg

Reppin' the ProCharger powa!

P1010104.jpg

Motor shot.

P1010098.jpg

battery charging posts in the fuel filler door.

P1010099.jpg

Finished Trunk area

P1010100.jpg

Finished interior

P1010101.jpg

shot looking at the back seat area

P1010102.jpg

Renegade number 4570...

P1010103.jpg

Looks pretty mean

P1010105.jpg

That's all for now. I'm taking the camera to the track tom. when we go to get some shots of the car in the sun and makin some runs.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That's pretty sweet, I'll bet your were excited. Congrads on a kick ass first run.

the car's looking sweet.

OP
OP
H

Hellion94

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Dal- I'm really excited, but also really relieved that it's "done" It was getting pretty stressful waiting for it to come around. We couldn't be happier with the way it has run so far, hopefully tomorrow brings some better times. I worked on the car a bunch this afternoon and figured out some stuff, like shift points, and an oil leak issue we had, misc. stuff. Tomorrow I'm going down there bright and early to get some more work done and some more data acquired, so hopefully tomorrow night will be a good night for us, fingers crossed.

cmher18

Reaction score
Pick up another 1 1/2 secs and run our Turbo 4cyc :dancing6:

Very nice car man love the looks of it

BTW what blower is on that? F1/F2

[attachment deleted by admin]

OP
OP
H

Hellion94

Reaction score
cmher18 said:
Pick up another 1 1/2 secs and run our Turbo 4cyc :dancing6:

Very nice car man love the looks of it

BTW what blower is on that? F1/F2

Haha, sweet. I didn't know you were with the Huber camp. That little 4 banger is a sweet car, I love that thing. Watching it do 100ft. wheelstands will never get old.

Hopefully, we will be about 2 tenths ahead of the 8.97 that car ran when we get it all figured out, or at least that's where we need to be to be competitive.

The blower's a ProCharger F1-R.

TRUUBLE

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
Hellion94 said:
Hopefully, we will be about 2 tenths ahead of the 8.97 that car ran when we get it all figured out, or at least that's where we need to be to be competitive.

As long as it's about 2 tenths behind my car when you come to AZ . . . . :bunny3:

OP
OP
H

Hellion94

Reaction score
Haha. Well it turns out, by the time we make it out to race you, we may have a little different combination in the car.

Reason being: We took the car out last night....and broke something in the motor. :nonono:

Not quite sure what it is yet, but we're down a cylinder. I'm really hoping it's just something in the valvetrain, and that it didn't take out anything else in the motor, but we still have to tear it down and find out.

So in the downtime, we've been talking about the intentions with this car, which is an easy topic to bring up when the car breaks on it's 4th full pass :mad:. Anyway, We think we might dedicate the car more to PSCA races, and put a cog pulley setup on, as well as some sort of intercooler. Then just swap stuff when we go to NMRA races, or just keep it the same and run Drag Radial. So we aren't really sure what we are going to do yet, it all really depends on what the car did to itself yesterday...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online