FivepointSlow's 4.6 Build

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Airbag light 32 is an open circuit code, usually caused by clock springs going out.
So ordered a new clock spring. $125 later :)
Found a bumpsteer kit via Amazon so I can get it asap. Was still like $170. Should be here friday.
Am I done spending money yet?? Can I drive my car now???

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
If it's not one thing its another!!!
Bumpsteer kit came in
ZjqxEtj.jpg

And installed relatively easily.
jehiM3P.jpg

Picked up my clock spring at my buddies dealership so I tossed that in aswell.
YGWXuGk.jpg

jPcAXf6.jpg

Took it out for a quick lap around the block to get the springs to settle to take measurements to adjust the coilovers.
Immediately started smelling a burning rubber smell.
Then it got really aggressive but I couldn't hear anything other than what sounded like a bit of a bushing like noise on bumps... which didnt add up.
Made it around the block, pull back into the garage and I'll be god damned.
Rubber sprayed onto the fender liner
DuD3B4w.jpg

And F
dnWpxoa.jpg

It only appears to be rubbing on the one side and is only contacting ever so slightly. The picture definitely makes it look worse than it is. To be honest I could probably get away with rotating the spring and it would clear because the other side isn't rubbing due to how the springs oriented. But I need to take the wheels off to adjust the coilovers anyways and I have small spacers I bought forever ago from @furocious originally intended for the 94 that I've been meaning to use on the 98 to help clear my sway bar at full lock, but now I HAVE to. Oh well.

Luckily I intentionally have been holding off on new front tires until the suspension was done and alignment is all fixed up. So no loss on the rubber eating it.

On the plus side while I certainly didnt beat on it, the suspension rides much smoother and quiet and the rear end feels worlds better now that the control arms are properly bolted in :)
And I can stealthily turn my wheels without any creaking and the pump moaning!!!

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
if you have considered steering rack limiters I have some left over I can send.
I did not consider that because I did not know you could add to the rack limiters... I've seen people trim there stock ones down to get more angle but I wasn't aware there was bigger ones you could put on.
The spacers are I believe 5/16 and they are enough to clear the coilovers, the sway bar, and they put the wheel out just far enough to look alot better. I have enough threads left to be comfortable with that aswell.
Thank you for the offer though! I could use your wiring assistance in my following update post though!

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Woke up at the crack ass of dawn to get this fucking thing driving around before work because I will be using my truck all day Monday and Tuesday so if I didn't get it done this morning I wouldnt be able to drive it til wednesday and I am SICK of not being able to drive it :)
Tossed the spacers on, wheels now clear everything! WOOT
ZcpYxDb.jpg

Adjusted the coilovers to a tad bit lower than the ride height I had before. Just wanted to get it done for now and driveable and didn't want to mess with "how low can I go before shit gets ripped out from under my car?"
HJvQ2ER.jpg

It drove beautifully to work, with the exception of what sounds like the springs binding up when you start approaching full lock. Not sure what is causing that, as the wheel definitely is not contacting the springs at any point now, I am thinking maybe the top hats aren't spinning properly? Not really sure about it but I am also not super worried about it at the moment.

Other than that no suspension noise, handles bumps great. I stuck the stiffer springs in so it is a bit rough but way better than bottoming out my exhaust everytime I hit a bump!

It feels like a totally different car, it feels faster now that the power is getting put down without the axle play that was caused by that control arm that wasn't bolted in... Way more confidence inspiring aswell.

After work however, turned the car on, radio turns on normally, phone connects via bluetooth, I open my music app, and no sound???
went through the settings, tried AM/FM, reset the head unit to factory defaults, nothing. No music, no beep tones, nothing. It was working just fine on my way to work, so I am not sure what thats about. Especially after literally just sitting for about 9 hours and then just suddenly not working?? I made sure it wasnt muted and tried turning the car off and on, the head unit seperately etc. I have no idea what to even check other than maybe the wiring harness behind the head unit. But if the head unit is working fine otherwise I doubt it would be a fuse or something...

Anyways got home and also noticed that when parked the steering is VERY heavy.. I didn't notice it before between the test drive last night or driving to work so I am pretty sure this is a new development. I took a peak underneath and just about cried when I saw my control arm and tierod end angles. Even with rack offset bushings and the bumpsteer kit (which isnt maxed out I have 2 small spacers left to toss on top of the knuckle) the angle is horrendous... Not sure how to solve that. Maybe x2 ball joints but even then the angle would be rough right? Does anyone elses angles look similar?
fhYAECc.jpg

YzD8syJ.jpg

MIFVnv5.jpg

The balljoint looks like its pushing it aswell
aVoX9CU.jpg

ALSO the new anti rattle clips and new pins I put in my front calipers definitely quieted the front calipers up! that $20 kit saved me from replacing the front pads and rotors because that was next on the list even though they have tons of life left in them, theyre borderline brand new when I got the car

Last edited:
OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Pondering the idea of selling both the Mustang and F150 to get a different truck and stay with 1 vehicle for now, makes the most sense given my current life situation. Persuade me otherwise or make me an offer I guess haha
Half of my brain is saying it's the responsible financially wise decision to make, the other half is screaming and reminding me how much I love this car...
sdmLQv5.jpg

L9inFzQ.jpg

tk92C0x.jpg

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Real life things come and go but mustangs are forever.

Well unless you wreck it or sell it. Then I guess it’s not forever!!!! [emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

88stang88

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
I still to this day wish I would have never gotten rid of my 89 notch. I understand the in the moment frustrations that come with these cars and really anything in life but boy do I get sellers remorse that never seems to go away. If you truly like what you have I’d find a way to keep it.

88stang88

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
I still to this day wish I would have never gotten rid of my 89 notch. I understand the in the moment frustrations that come with these cars and really anything in life but boy do I get sellers remorse that never seems to go away. If you truly like what you have I’d find a way to keep it.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Its often i see these guys looking for the same mustang they once had. Doing their best tracking it down. Some score them back. The others allowed their joy to slip away not realizing later on how much they wished to of hanged on to it.

Decide carefully!

Anger.Engineering

Reaction score
unless the Mustang is costing you money, I would keep it and just keep it maintained (started periodically etc) I dont know what your situation is but I do know decisions made for the wrong reasons come with regret, and if there is any part of you saying keep it, its not the right time to make a final decision, it should be all yes or all no.

BigBore96

Reaction score
unless the Mustang is costing you money, I would keep it and just keep it maintained (started periodically etc) I dont know what your situation is but I do know decisions made for the wrong reasons come with regret, and if there is any part of you saying keep it, its not the right time to make a final decision, it should be all yes or all no.
This x1000.

Keep it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Thanks everyone
I think at the end of the day, while I love this car, i am not in love with it. I look at it and it's not mine, and that's a problem. The 94 and the Vic I was in love with, because I built them from stock and did everything myself, with this one I continued someone else's build and it's not fully mine.
While I would love to keep it, I can sleep at night letting it go. I have too much money tied up into this thing to justify hanging onto it, and my best option is to dump both it and my truck for a truck I actually want and just maintain 1 vehicle.
For those who dont know my current truck I bought from my neighbor, who's husband passed away, I grew up around and in this truck helping him on jobs and such, and the deal was great but this truck was never what I truly wanted.
My current truck is great and I have made it work. I want a truck I actually want, especially if it's going to be my only vehicle, and i also need something newer that has the power to do what i demand of it. I tow alot of shit for friends and my self with no income attached, but alot of the side work i do, dump runs, deck builds, etc, require the trailer and do earn me some side cash flow. So i cant really get away with buying an older truck to complete these tasks.
I want to get into a slightly newer truck, that i actually will love and can hang onto for a long time without growing out of it, but I want to pay less for my loan that I will have on it then what I pay now. The money from the mustang and the difference between what the truck sells for and what I have left on that loan will go towards a down payment on said truck, and will decrease my loan and loan payment. And after talking to my insurance agent the truck I have in mind will only be a few dollars more a month to insure then my current one, and I'm obviously knocking a fully insured car off aswell.

Now the question is what do I value the mustang at? Still figuring that out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online