Good reason NOT to drive skinnies on the street

cobraracer46

Reaction score
Running "skinnies" on the street is dumb. A narrow drag race front tire has significantly lass traction than a proper front tire size such as a 275/40/17 and the result is dramatically longer stopping distances, the front tires locking up in a panic stop situation and the increased likelihood of a crash. Save the skinnies for the track unless you want to increase your chances of crumpling some sheet metal on your mustang.

FrankenStang

Reaction score
Yep that's what size I have on my car right now. I think they're $55 a piece, I paid $40 each for my first set a year ago. Here's a pic of how they look just for the hell of it. Drove to Mustang Week and back 4 hours each way non-stop without issues.

looking at that edge of ur tire id say you have a problem.. the outer edge is shot.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
damn. a lot of fire in this thread for a dude just showing some carnage on his skinnys. lol. ... geeze.

anyways, i'd hunt down a new brand of tire. Those things look brand new... you're lucky they didnt damage the car or wheel, thats for sure.

glad everything was safe in the end! :-D

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
yeah, I really wasn't trying to bash anyone or make it seem like I was. Just simply put up a few pics of my misfortune. Like said, luckily I got away with just needing new tires. I'm definitely going with a new brand of tire just for peace of mind as well. For those of you running skinnies, just be careful out there!

slow90coupe

Reaction score
looking at that edge of ur tire id say you have a problem.. the outer edge is shot.
Those tires were worn out by my buddy's car, not mine. But I'm not worried about it, they're only $100 for a new pair. I love driving on skinnies. The car feels like it handles better to me, unless you're trying to push it through a turn.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yea driving on skinnies is fun especially when you barely have to touch the brakes to slow right down

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Handles better? If that is the case I would have to say that you had some serious problems before you put them on. 2/3rds of your stopping power is up front I would love to see an a-b comparison on the same car with regular/pizza cutters too see how many feet it adds.

FrankenStang

Reaction score
skinnies look badass on stangs with some meaties in the back..imo that's the best wheel combo for an sn.

castine917

Reaction score
Lmfao... You haven't a clue who I am... Do you?

Just an FYI, your tires should EASILY handle the weight of the front of your car. A full weight Cobra is 3365, and let's assume a 200lb driver. Even a 60/40 weight distribution puts that at about 2k one up front. They should still be inside their capacity. Unless you jacked on your brakes and hit a pothole.
No clue who you are in real life. Why should any of us care? You have been banned from how many sites for being an internet prick? Your info is correct sometimes, opinionated sometimes but, no need for the prick attitude.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
How about we all shut up and stop trying to piss in each other's throats.

Sorry about the blow out buddy. Hope you can find something better!

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
I have 20k of skinny mileage and no blow out. First was a kuhmo 205 then a nexxan 185 and now a 165 on my weld magnums, those will not see street use, just because of car manners now....good luck, I don't think it was a user error, but tire failure. Gladly see the wheel and car ok......balls deep

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
How about we all shut up and stop trying to piss in each other's throats.

Sorry about the blow out buddy. Hope you can find something better!

Your not my real dad you can't tell me what to do... DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM? SAY MY NAME............ SAY IT.

HEISENBURG - your damn right....

Stanimal

Reaction score
jersey roads are fine...... just gotta pretend your in a country song and bob and weave all the time :p

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
ahahaha thats pretty funny stuff. Sad but true, I've lived in NJ for almost 26 years now and its sure a sight

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rvseverson