Gotta question making me go hmmmmmmm....

PinkieT

Reaction score
On stock Mustang suspensions the front springs fit into pockets on the k-frame which is bolted to the frame rails and the strut tower only has to control the much lighter forces of the strut damping the spring actions and keeping the front alignment right. In a coil-over conversion, it seems that the strut tower is now handling all the front end loads, what it normally did plus what was carried by the k-frame. My question is, since the strut tower was not designed or built to handle the load of the spring, how the heck does it hold up under a coilover conversion? I'm not planning on doing a coilover conversion unless I win the lottery, but every time I see one I have to wonder how the car handles it without the towers flexing and getting stress cracks.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like a great reason to have a strut tower brace. Help control the flexing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shaggy

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
On stock Mustang suspensions the front springs fit into pockets on the k-frame which is bolted to the frame rails and the strut tower only has to control the much lighter forces of the strut damping the spring actions and keeping the front alignment right. In a coil-over conversion, it seems that the strut tower is now handling all the front end loads, what it normally did plus what was carried by the k-frame. My question is, since the strut tower was not designed or built to handle the load of the spring, how the heck does it hold up under a coilover conversion? I'm not planning on doing a coilover conversion unless I win the lottery, but every time I see one I have to wonder how the car handles it without the towers flexing and getting stress cracks.

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
I was thinking of my homie Arsenio Hall... That was one of his monologue lines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online