Heat Soak on my starter with longtubes, Whats a good fix?

wrgsm

Reaction score
Hey all, Im still fairly new to the forums. Ive got Pypes Long Tube Headers, and they cause enough heat soak to my starter to cause it to overheat and not start after a lot of driving... I have some titanium heat wrap, whats the best way to go about this? Id like to keep it as inexpensive as possible but if I need to buy a hi tq/mini hi tq starter, I will.

Edit: 1996 GT 4.6L

Last edited:

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
You’re on the right path with the heat wrap. Anything to shield the heat from the starter is a good idea, in this case. You’ll likely have to remove the header to properly wrap it.

OP
OP
W

wrgsm

Reaction score
You’re on the right path with the heat wrap. Anything to shield the heat from the starter is a good idea, in this case. You’ll likely have to remove the header to properly wrap it.

I would prefer to leave the header in as I will be wrapping just the section closest to the starter, but making sure all pipes are covered. Is there any way to do that? Im fine with it being tricky, Id rather not drop the K member as I will be doing this without a lift.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Stock K member? It’s going to be a pain in the ass but you’re just gonna have to get in there and do what you can. Not really a best method.

BigBore96

Reaction score
All good advice in here. But how sure are you it's the starter being heat soaked?

Just throwing this out there but It's stupid common to have a no start/crank problem when hot due to a weak ground.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Adfalenski

Reaction score
I have had starting problems on other cars due to headers heat soaking the starter. The heat causes the starter shaft to swell and to bind in the bronze bushings that support both ends. After it cools for a little while(30 minutes or so) it will start again. The only way I was able to cure the problem was with heat shielding.

Adfalenski

Reaction score
I have had starting problems on other cars due to headers heat soaking the starter. The heat causes the starter shaft to swell and to bind in the bronze bushings that support both ends. After it cools for a little while(30 minutes or so) it will start again. The only way I was able to cure the problem was with heat shielding.

Also not only weak ground, but check the positive connection on the starter itself.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online