Help an old man out.

tinnocker

Reaction score
I have a stock 95' GT Mustang and I am trying to get a little more horsepower out of it. I have GT40 ( not p's) heads and a Explorer GT40 type intake that I plan to put on it. I have bought BBK cat back mid pipes and a Borla muffler and tailpipe kit. I am wanting BBK ceramic shorty headers but there is about a 2 month back order on them. As you probably know the 94'/95' headers have the pipe for emissions. I am sure that this pipe hooks up to the stock intake but I will be using an older fuel injection intake and the headers for Fox bodies don't have this pipe. I live in Alabama and an emission test is not required. I have read about an emission related stink when something is disconnected and I don't want that. If I wait on the 94'/95' headers, will there be a way to hook this pipe up to the GT40 intake or should I get a Fox header without the pipe since I would be running the Fox type heads and intake. I am having a very reputable Mustang shop do this work for me so they would be hooking everthing up and installing the headers. Now, if I get the Fox headers, would they fit and connect to my BBK cat back without major surgery? Old man living in a fuel injected world.

95opal

Reaction score
I have a stock 95' GT Mustang and I am trying to get a little more horsepower out of it. I have GT40 ( not p's) heads and a Explorer GT40 type intake that I plan to put on it. I have bought BBK cat back mid pipes and a Borla muffler and tailpipe kit. I am wanting BBK ceramic shorty headers but there is about a 2 month back order on them. As you probably know the 94'/95' headers have the pipe for emissions. I am sure that this pipe hooks up to the stock intake but I will be using an older fuel injection intake and the headers for Fox bodies don't have this pipe. I live in Alabama and an emission test is not required. I have read about an emission related stink when something is disconnected and I don't want that. If I wait on the 94'/95' headers, will there be a way to hook this pipe up to the GT40 intake or should I get a Fox header without the pipe since I would be running the Fox type heads and intake. I am having a very reputable Mustang shop do this work for me so they would be hooking everthing up and installing the headers. Now, if I get the Fox headers, would they fit and connect to my BBK cat back without major surgery? Old man living in a fuel injected world.
The fox headers will fit no problems. You will need a tune to turn off the egr function in the PCM otherwise it will throw a CEL.

joemomma

Reaction score
They do make EGR "fooler" plugs, but they seem to be hit and miss. A tune is the only surefire way to not get a CEL.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I just have a cap on top of the port on my headers. If you get in there under the hood you can see it but it wasn't a deal breaker for me.

OP
OP
T

tinnocker

Reaction score
I am gathering parts. I have a BBK 70MM throttle body, BBK 76 mm mass air meter, Ford Performance 24lb injectors. I have a GT40 upper and lower intake ported by Bigdog and he is in the process of porting a pair of GT40 cast iron heads. I plan on buying a Comp XR 266 HR/216/224 cam. I waited 5-6 weeks on the Borla exhaust, and Flowmaster exhaust was also on backorder. The cam is on backorder at a lot of sites but I think Summit has them and I will order that today. I plan on letting Mo's in Dallas, Ga. do my installation. He has over 100 4-5 star reviews and has a dyno. I think they know what they are doing. He has a Fox with a coyote that he installed on youtube. I am just trying to buy the right parts to give him.

OP
OP
T

tinnocker

Reaction score
Wmac, I am using the Fox type throttle body and have already bought the 45 degree adapter for the GT40 intake.

Wmac

Reaction score
If you are referring to a TFS, Edelbrock, Mac, SVO style adapter, then why not use an SN95 T/body. No uses with linkage, wiring harnesses, etc. Just asking.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I don't think the fox body tb works on the 45. It is made to go straight onto the intake but then you need the different pipe feeding it and if I am not mistaken if you use the fox body tb you also need to use a fox body throttle cable.

joemomma

Reaction score
Yeah you can use the SN95 TB since you have the adapter.

TrickVert

Reaction score
I don't think there's any difference between a Fox and 94/95 TB, just elbow or no elbow, but it's been awhile since I had to worry about it.

Personally, unless you just like the looks, I would save the money spent on shorty headers and put it elsewhere. There's little gain from headers unless you go with long tubes.

EGR Delete (If you think you need to/want to) - Do not use the "foolers" or zip-tie the plunger. The PCM will be expecting that the EGR is actually there, and you'll see intake temps increase. (Believe it or not, EGR actually *cools* the intake charge because it's injecting non-burnable gasses.) Definitely have it turned off in the tune.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
trust me the fox and the 94/95 tb are not the same.

Your choices are:
1.) You can keep the 45 and put a 94/95 tb on.
2.) you can put the fox body tb on the intake with no elbow but you will need to get a fox body cold air intake and a fox body throttle cable.

OP
OP
T

tinnocker

Reaction score
I had to go look to see what I have bought. Still new in the box. The throttle body is a BBK 70MM for a 94/95 Mustang along with the BBK 76mm mass air meter for a 94'95'.. The 45 degree adapter is an Eldelbrock and BigDog ported it also. I also found a local shop that used to race Fox bodies that I am going to talk to about changing out my heads and intake and installing my cam. If I have any problems with the computer that he can't resolve then I can go to the other place in Dallas, Ga and I know he can get it running right. Today was a good day. I got my BBK cat back and Borla S ss mufflers and tailpipes installed and found a local Mustang mechanic. I was worried about it being too loud since the Borla S is basically a cherry bomb/ thrush type straight thru muffler, but it is not too loud and I didn't notice the drone. If it is quiet enough for an old 74 year old man, it should be quiet enough for anyone.

Since I paid for the porting of the heads and upper and lower intake, I think I will go with the shorty headers to keep from choking it down. I know that they would not get the scavenging effect of the long tubes.
The ring and pinion change from 3.08 to 3.73 and the tailpipes (just a mental hp increase) has really woke this old pony up!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
while there are only a few differences between the sn95 302 and the fox body 302 the computer system is a VERY big difference. If they specialize in fox bodies they might try to sell you on swapping out a fox body computer(this was popular for a while) or going to an aftermarket ecu to really lighten your wallet. You will more than likely need a tune when you get into the heads/cam and certainly with the bigger injectors but there is no need to swap ecu's. It can be hard to find someone that is good or even works with sn95 ecu's in some areas but its not impossible and I would probably send it 2-3 hours away for a good tuner before I did ecu's.

OP
OP
T

tinnocker

Reaction score
Thanks ttocs, for that information. I will certainly try to keep my current ecu and look for someone to do the tuning. One of the shops, Mo's in Dallas, Gaeorgia that I am thinking of using has references from people farther away than 2-3 states coming to use his tuner man. I live in Alabama and the shop that I found about yesterday locally will probably be ok to do the physical labor of swapping parts and may know a local tuner, but if not the shop in Georgia can certainly get it running right.

joemomma

Reaction score
I would recommend Ted Jenkins with Tuning Innovations for your tune. Ted is pretty much "the man" for '94-95 tunes.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
email tunes can be done fairly if you have a set of gauges to tell the real time readings or even better yet a way to data log but if you stuck with the stock gauges I would always say to go to a dyno. If you don't have a way to monitor the real time data and changes that are made to the tune it becomes more difficult to get it perfect. I am not saying it can't be done or has not but I would always go for the dyno myself.

Wmac

Reaction score
With tinnocker's permission, I would like to continue on the path that ttocs mentions above.

What gauges are you referring to ttocs? (w/b, f/p, etc?) Since tinnocker will have ported heads, intake and aggressive camshaft, won't the idle air be "wacked" in the stock ecu configuration?

Do you think that a canned tune is possible? (good idle manners)

TrickVert

Reaction score
Glad to here you're not going to listen to the "an A9L swap is the only way to get a 94/95 to run right" myths. A good tuner can work with the 94/95 ECU. I have the stock ECU and an SCT chip in mine. (You *will* need a chip or some other aftermarket tuning component.)

As for mail order vs. dyno tunes, unless you have a combination of box-stock components - which you don't - a mail order tune will never be spot on (and in my opinion can still be off) . A dyno tune is always preferred, as it can simulate various loads, and provide the tuner with real-time data.

OP
OP
T

tinnocker

Reaction score
The shop in Georgia , Mo's in Dallas, has a dyno to do the dyno tune. I agree with Wmac, I don't see how a canned tune is possible. My local man told me today that he don't do head swaps and cams anymore. He said it was too time consuming and he has all the other work he can do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online