HELP: Ball Joint or Tie Rod? CHANGED TIE ROD STILL SCREWED!! HELP ME PLZ!

Tony Montana

Reaction score
I installed some koni red shocks/struts and upr cc plates last week. Right after the install i took the car for a ride, and could notice heavy vibration from teh right side.

I suspected rotor. I went for alignment anyways the next day, and it aligned perfectly, tech told me to check out the right side though.

It is still vibrating like a beast.

I jacked up the right side. And if i put my hands on the 9 0clock and 3 0clock postion on the tire and move it from side to side there is a big wobble.

I looked at the balljoint and it doesnt appear to be ripped or anything but what do i know. I always thought that side to side movement relates to tie rods?

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

95-stang

Reaction score
Re: HELP: Ball Joint or Tie Rod?

From where you have your hands, i would say track rod.
Does it move in any other positions?

OP
OP
T

Tony Montana

Reaction score

Figured it out, its the tie rod, I am having a bitch of a time getting the jam nut off though.

Any advice?

95-stang

Reaction score

Its not uncommon at most places to heat the lock nut up with oxy-acetylene, as they can be well seized up.
You could put it back together and drive to the nearest place that does tracking, they could free it for you cheap i bet. ;)

ripper

Reaction score

Get a bottle of map gas and heat er up. It will come loose.

Adam

Reaction score

Tony Montana said:
Figured it out, its the tie rod, I am having a bitch of a time getting the jam nut off though.

Any advice?

By jam nut do you mean the lock nut that tightens against the tierod end ot the castle nut that goe sinto the spindle? Castle nut should come off with impact, couple shots with a 5lb hammer will drive the tie rod end out of spindle. If you talking lock nut, then just spray the crap out of it, once you break it loose, there is no need or reason to take it off.

OP
OP
T

Tony Montana

Reaction score

Adam said:
Tony Montana said:

Any advice?

By jam nut do you mean the lock nut that tightens against the tierod end ot the castle nut that goe sinto the spindle? Castle nut should come off with impact, couple shots with a 5lb hammer will drive the tie rod end out of spindle. If you talking lock nut, then just spray the crap out of it, once you break it loose, there is no need or reason to take it off.

It is the Jam Nut ( or lock nut ) Anyways i may have been turning the son bitch wrong i was going lefty, but it appears i should have been going right ---->

Look in this pic same side as mine.

It cant be that damn tight, since my car was hit about a year ago, and the left suspension was replaced. I will try to spray it again and then try again, I just hope this is actually the problem

[attachment deleted by admin]

Adam

Reaction score

Yes turning it clockwise will loosen it, even though you are threading it on farther. Make sure you keep track of how many rotations it takes to take the end link off. If it takes 6 full turns to take it off, then roatate the new one on 6 turns and you should be pretty close to where you were.

OP
OP
T

Tony Montana

Reaction score

Ok well the tie rod re/re was succesful thanks for all the tips.

However I still have an issue with my right side, I simply dont understand what in the bloody blue hell is wrong. I bet the tie rod was good all along, anyways it still vibrates like a bitch when braking on teh passenger side.

I dont understand what could have been altered, all i did was re/re shocks and struts, I checked all the caliper bolts and they were all tight, I am lost,

any advice would help!

95-stang

Reaction score
Without stating the obvious, if it was ok before you fitted the new bits, it must be something you did, i would go back and start from the begining.

ripper

Reaction score
Yep i second that. If you didnt have that shimmy before you must have got it from somthing you did. Allthough it really sounds like a worn wheel bearing.

95-stang

Reaction score
Stevo said:
Yep i second that. If you didnt have that shimmy before you must have got it from somthing you did. Allthough it really sounds like a worn wheel bearing.

Thats a good point, you didnt loosen the bearing off by any chance?

Adam

Reaction score
You can't do anything to the bearings, they are not serviceable. When they go bad you have to buy the whole hub assembly for $65, it even comes with new studs.

95-stang

Reaction score
Adam said:
You can't do anything to the bearings, they are not serviceable. When they go bad you have to buy the whole hub assembly for $65, it even comes with new studs.

My mistake, getting confused with the older cars.............

Adam

Reaction score
Make sure the CC plates ar eproperly installed. The set I put on were kinda weird. Make sure you have all the spacers in the right spots.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online