How can I find what keeps blowing my turn signal fuses?

TLSF150

Reaction score
Okay My car has sequentials in it.. they worked fine the first week I had the car then I changed the motor mounts.. I cant understand the conection here but after I changed the motor mounts the brake light fuse and the blinker fuse were both blown.. I changed both and the brake lights have been fine ever since but the blinker fuse constantly blows (ive been through more than 15 fuses)

If I put a fuse in it works fine untill I move the car.. I can start it up and leave it sitting and the blinkers will work fine ive let it sit like this for 10 minutes just switching sides, reving the engine, turning them off, and waiting a few minutes and turning them back on and they work fine.. But as soon as I drive the car they blow the fuse.. most the time I cant even make it to the stop sign before its blown..

I went through all the wires in the trunk and checked all the conections and didnt see any bad conections or bare wires.. I seen my passenger side tail light was leaking and moisture was in the light sockets so I put a new tail light in today and dried eveything up but it still blew the fuse was soon as I pulled outta the drive way..

what could possibly be doing this??

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
some people have an issue with a chaffed wire under the steering column and clutch pedal assy.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have also heard where the brake switch can break off and short out. Look on the top of the arm that come off of the pedal and you will see it.

OP
OP
T

TLSF150

Reaction score
Would that cause the blinker fuse to blow though?? The brake lights work fine..

Sent From My HTC EVO LTE Using Tapatalk 2!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
turn signals and brake lights share some wiring as well as the hazzard lights. Have you turned them on/off recently?

OP
OP
T

TLSF150

Reaction score
Hazards work even when blinker fuse is blown.. and the hazards and brakes still function is sequence with no problems.. the blinkers are the only problem...

Thanks for tip on the relay! I didn't know there was one there..

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
ok good we have it narrowed down now. Have you tried to see if the left or the right in particular does anything or if anything pops the fuse?

OP
OP
T

TLSF150

Reaction score
Well if I don't move the car left and right blinkers will work fine forever it seems.. its just as soon as I move the car it blows..

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
we need to isolate what is causing it try stepping on the brake pedak a bunch, clutching(if applicable). If that doesn't do anything its time to get a little rough with your wiring. If it is all connectect correctly you should be able to grab it, pull/tug/fiddle(technical terms) on it and not have any issues(with in reason don't put your foot down for leverage).

OP
OP
T

TLSF150

Reaction score
No updates yet I've been busy this weekend but hopefully I'm gonna dive back in this after work today

OP
OP
T

TLSF150

Reaction score
I try to.. fighting traffic on 285 every day really makes me wish I had them to atleast let people know their about to get cut off lol.. right now im stuck with the swerve and go method ha..

Foxmoto28

Reaction score
some people have an issue with a chaffed wire under the steering column and clutch pedal assy.

+1

I had to take my 94 to a shop for a clutch and the idiots had my turn signal wire crimped behind my clutch pedal. I'd put a new fuse in, turn on the hazards/turns and then the fuse was blown within 2 seconds.

OP
OP
T

TLSF150

Reaction score
Still havent got time to check up under there yet.. But thanks for all the advice! maybe ill get to it this weekend

OP
OP
T

TLSF150

Reaction score
Figured id update this thread for anyone curious or havin the same issue..

I finally got it fixed yesterday.. after months of searching for shorts I realized yesterday that was blowing fuses when the motor was flexxing in reverse...

So I narrowed it down to the reverse lights or the wire harness was pinched somewhere when I replaced the motor mount..

I unplugged the reverse lights from the transmission since it was easiest test and boom no more blown fuses...

Guess I have to try and replace the switch on the transmission for the reverse lights now.. but im much happier without reverse lights rather than turn signals

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2!

OP
OP
T

TLSF150

Reaction score
Im glad I finally found it.. its been so nice havin turn signals lol..

Plus I got my clutch cable set perfect while I was under it.. so no more shaky clutch pedal or rattling clutch fork..

And I drilled the bottom of my seat and moved the foxbody seat tracks I put on it foward so the seat goes further back now.. it was a productive day for sure...

Black Ice

Reaction score
Figured id update this thread for anyone curious or havin the same issue..

I finally got it fixed yesterday.. after months of searching for shorts I realized yesterday that was blowing fuses when the motor was flexxing in reverse...

So I narrowed it down to the reverse lights or the wire harness was pinched somewhere when I replaced the motor mount..

I unplugged the reverse lights from the transmission since it was easiest test and boom no more blown fuses...

Guess I have to try and replace the switch on the transmission for the reverse lights now.. but im much happier without reverse lights rather than turn signals

I had the same thing going on with mine it gets really annoying after time and you check everything and all seems fine until you move the car. I finally put a new fuse in and got inside the car with no radio,heat,etc and went through every gear starting with 1st and ended with reverse with the turn signal on and bam fuse blows and i did the same as you just unplugged it on the trans and was all good. Car is now gone but i did let the new owner no what was going on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stillridin