Turn signal

Booboo

Reaction score
1997 GT turn signal problems. I replaced all of the bulbs, 6 in the back and 2 up front, I've swapped the bulbs around and they all are good. The inner bulbs on both sides in the rear do not work, the outer 2 bulbs on both sides in the rear work. The front right works, and the front left does not. The left side blinks fast. In the front, I swapped the bulb and the bulb socket from left to right with no change. That makes me think it is the wire harness on the front left side. The thing that is throwing me off is the inner bulbs in the rear are not working. Any ideas?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
The inner bulbs in the rear are not turn signals in stock form. The can be wired that way, and you do that to add sequential lights. So if the 4 bulbs in the rear work for turns, that part is fine.

OP
OP
B

Booboo

Reaction score
The inner bulbs in the rear are not turn signals in stock form. The can be wired that way, and you do that to add sequential lights. So if the 4 bulbs in the rear work for turns, that part is fine.
I'm going to hit the junk yard tomorrow and grab the turn signal socket and pigtail off a car they have there. I'll splice that in and see if it fixes the problem.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
sounds like you swapped in led lights? They are polarized meaning that you have to have the +- lined up correctly, unlike our old incandescent lights. Take the bulbs out that are not working, turn them 180 degrees and then reinsert and see if they work

OP
OP
B

Booboo

Reaction score
Do you have a multimeter? You can check the plug to see if it has power?
I checked it with a meter and the socket doesn't seem to be the problem. I will check the wire harness connector at the firewall next. I recently replaced the dash, wonder if that did not get connected properly.

Stock lights, not LED.

Adfalenski

Reaction score
The multifunction (turn signal) switch on the steering column will cause all kind of crazy indications if the plugs are not in completely. There is one connector on top of the steering column and another that connects the electrical wiring from the steering column to the main dash harness. Check to see if the connector to the dash harness is properly connected first - less hassle. If that doesn’t fix the problem then remove the plastic cover over the top of the steering column and check the multifunction switch connector on top of the steering column.

Last edited:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if you have used your hazzard switch recently try pushing it in/out 5-6 times. I had one time where the dust that collected around the switch must have got pushed into the inside after using it as I didn't have turn signals. by pushing in/out you can clean the contacts.

Monday

Reaction score
sounds like you swapped in led lights? They are polarized meaning that you have to have the +- lined up correctly, unlike our old incandescent lights. Take the bulbs out that are not working, turn them 180 degrees and then reinsert and see if they work
You are prolly the only person on earth that would have thought of this... I fukin love this forum!! :D

OP
OP
B

Booboo

Reaction score
if you have used your hazzard switch recently try pushing it in/out 5-6 times. I had one time where the dust that collected around the switch must have got pushed into the inside after using it as I didn't have turn signals. by pushing in/out you can clean the contacts.
I tried this, unfortunately it did not work.

chrisp427

Reaction score
So I have a turn signal issue also, all of my turn signals work except the passenger side front signal doesn’t work. The rear passenger signal did blink fast until I changed the signal relay now it blinks slow like the drivers side. All the bulbs are good. Any ideas? My next thing was to change the column switch.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
probably the multifunction switch. All the turn signals go through it with the hazard light switch. I had a problem similar one time and I was able to fix it by simply pushing the hazzard button on/off 6-8 times and I guess it cleaned the contacts and it worked ever since

chrisp427

Reaction score
probably the multifunction switch. All the turn signals go through it with the hazard light switch. I had a problem similar one time and I was able to fix it by simply pushing the hazzard button on/off 6-8 times and I guess it cleaned the contacts and it worked ever since
Really, all but one signal? I hope that does it. Finally get the temperature to stay at 190 with the fan on high, than my brand new SVE radiator starts leaking at one of the welds! Aaaaaah!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have 94/95 and I am sure they are the same but different... The hazard switch is the last thing that all the wiring goes through before it goes back to the lights. In my case the switch was on top of the steering column and it collected dust around it that I think got pushed down into the switch and made the bad contact. Cycling the switch cleaned it out.

chrisp427

Reaction score
I have 94/95 and I am sure they are the same but different... The hazard switch is the last thing that all the wiring goes through before it goes back to the lights. In my case the switch was on top of the steering column and it collected dust around it that I think got pushed down into the switch and made the bad contact. Cycling the switch cleaned it out.
Going to try that first

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online

No members online now.