How to get my car to SHINE?

302Feen

Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen...

I have a 1994 Mustang GT, I just had it painted not even a year ago yet and added a Cervinis Stalker II hood and Saleen SR wing and had it painted Red with Black racing stripes (I promise I'll get pics up soon...). The paint still looks emaculate and shines real nice. I wash it once every 1-2 weeks and wax after 5 washes. The wax I currently use is Maguires Cleaner wax in the can with the little circle pad (takes me FOREVER to wax the car LoL).
Anyways, I was just wondering if yal can give me some suggestions on how to get that really deep shine. I want to give the paint some depth... I hope this makes sense and yal can help me out.

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

OP
OP

302Feen

Reaction score
justinschmidt1 said:
Buy a porter cable orbital buffer and some polish.

I already have a buffer... Any suggestions on a good polish???
Will the polish give me the "depth" that I'm looking for?

joekd

Reaction score
Cleaner wax is not the best idea to use repeatedly, you should claybar it, then use a multi step process of paint cleaner, polish and finally wax

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Paint:
Miguires Gold Class wash + warm water (no hose water... only use the hose to rinse clean)
Miguires Stage 1 deep clean conditioner
Mother's clay bar system (skipping the wax)
Miguires scratch-x (on any large/deep scratches in the paint)
Miguires stage 2 polish
Miguires stage 3 carnuba (sp?) wax

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
302Feen said:
justinschmidt1 said:
Buy a porter cable orbital buffer and some polish.

I already have a buffer... Any suggestions on a good polish???
Will the polish give me the "depth" that I'm looking for?

I would check out autogeek.net

They have tons and tons of good shit.

What color red?

Handz has had really good results with 1z products on his laser red car from what he posted.

I use einzett 1z polish and glanz wax.

You should be able to get a good bit of depth with a moderate polish followed by a light polish and some wax.

I use 1z but I would check around on autogeek and do some research on autopia.

I dont think you can go wrong with any of the products on autogeek.

gt96stang

Reaction score
Get ahold of Justin over at obsessive detail... Not only is he a sponsor of this site, he knows his stuff... I've bought products from him, even his own line of stuff and have been very satisfied with the overall experience..

94 DropTop

Reaction score
The cleaner wax isnt the best stuff if you want a shine period. Once every say 3-4 months i wash it, clay bar(only do this twice a year), paint cleaner, polish, wax( one or two coats), rince and dry the car. First time i did this i swear my car could have glowed in the dark. The paint cleaner is an abrasive so you shouldnt need a scratch remover unless your paint has be treated really bad.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
i have two major deep scratches on my paint... the deep cleaner fades it, but the scratch remover is about all that makes them nearly invisble.

you're right... you shouldnt need the scratch remover for minor (swirl marks etc.etc.etc.) but for something that goes through the paint, its required to try and remidy the situation.

OP
OP

302Feen

Reaction score
This is a lot of very good info! Thanks fellas.

Like I said, my paint isn't even a year old, I only drive in the rain IF I HAVE TO. But I do drive it as much as I can, it's too fun not to drive around. But being a daily driver, there are a couple of tiny tiny chips just from road debris.

The last time I washed my car, I was actually somewhat displeased with the way it looked. So me and my wife went at it with the Maguires Cleaner wax and that brought the good ol' new paint shine back into it, and took out most of the swirl marks.
I will however, hold off on the cleaner wax and follow yal's advice. I just want to give it that show car shine/depth or as close to it as I can get anyways...
I knew you guys would be the ones to ask on this subject.

For some reason, it seems like the SN95 guys really care about their cars.

snoball

Reaction score
302Feen said:

Its because we are some of the slowest cars, we prefer our stuff to look better sitting still. LOL

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Snoball said:
302Feen said:

Its because we are some of the slowest cars, we prefer our stuff to look better sitting still. LOL

lol.
+100000000009919928938487575

and loud exhausts... that way they sound faster than they really are :p lol.

OP
OP

302Feen

Reaction score
LoL. My dad taught me one good lesson... "It's cheaper to SOUND and LOOK fast than to actually BE fast!"

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
Get Money said:
Get ahold of Justin over at obsessive detail... Not only is he a sponsor of this site, he knows his stuff...

+1

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
just some Stereo #2 polish with a wool pad and the buffer at about 1200rpm does an amazing job. Hit the car with that and throw a coat of good wax on it (I've recently been using Meguire's NXT liquid, pretty impressed) and the car will look sickness. No need to get all fancy with like 4 stage processes...

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
OnyxCobra said:
just some Stereo #2 polish with a wool pad and the buffer at about 1200rpm does an amazing job. Hit the car with that and throw a coat of good wax on it (I've recently been using Meguire's NXT liquid, pretty impressed) and the car will look sickness. No need to get all fancy with like 4 stage processes...

That depends on the condition of his paint.

If his paint is old,beat, scratched, and oxidized, he will need to do more than a light polish/wax.

He would need a hardcore polish to get through the scratches and oxidation and then would have to move on to at least 1 more lighter polish to remove some of the markings from the heavy polish and smooth it out before applying wax.

I cant see his car so I have no idea what it looks like.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
justinschmidt1 said:
OnyxCobra said:

That depends on the condition of his paint.

If his paint is old,beat, scratched, and oxidized, he will need to do more than a light polish/wax.

He would need a hardcore polish to get through the scratches and oxidation and then would have to move on to at least 1 more lighter polish to remove some of the markings from the heavy polish and smooth it out before applying wax.

I cant see his car so I have no idea what it looks like.

yeah... but he said the paint isn't even a year old, it shouldn't need a lot of work. Obviously if the paint is older you can cut it with a mild compound first and then finish up with the polish and wax, but the age of his paint should not require much work to make it shine nice, and as long as the paint is in decent condition Stereo 2 works amazing and goes on like butter.

bigjohnson4.6gt

Reaction score
i use the obsessive detail wet wax then the sealer, and it brings out the paint to the fullest. I have tried mcguiars, turtle wax, nxt, and a few others as well. If your looking to just go full steam with it, then I use mcguiars first 3 steps then the wax, then sealant, then quick detail

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Superman3872

Members online