How-To: Recover your headliner

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
So a while back I ordered a new headliner for my notch from 5.0 Resto. That sucker cost me $200 and showed up ready-to-install. Unfortunately, I'm retarded and bought one for a hatchback fox, not a coupe. :tard:

So rather than going through all the hassle of returning one, ordering another, and spending even MORE money... I just decided to re-do my existing one.

Start to finish this took me about an hour once I got back from the upholstery shop, and of course the headliner was already out of the car. Total cost was $30 for the fabric and the adhesive.

Step 1: Get your headliner out, lay it on the floor. Admire it. It's gonna be gone here in a minute.
OldHeadliner.jpg

Step 2: Bust out your most advanced upholstery tools. I used an old flexible scraper, some scissors from the kitchen and a razor knife from the hardware store.
ToolsNeeded.jpg

Step 3: Make sure you get a can of spray adhesive designed for headliners and upholstery. It's designed to do this stuff specifically, and sticks like crazy.
Adhesive.jpg

Step 4: Using your scraper, scrape the old headliner off. Be careful not to screw up the carboard, and do your best to get all the crumblies off. Blow it off with compressed air, or vacuum it, or whatever.
HeadlinerRemomved.jpg

Step 5: Lay your new material over the backing. I got this stuff that looks sorta like my microsuede Corbeau seats. It's still a normal foam-backed material for headliners, but has a different look to it that I like. My headliner board was about four feet square, so be sure to get enough material.
NewMaterial.jpg

Step 6: Once everything is flat and you've smushed out the uneven parts, fold half of it over. Spray it evenly with adhesive on both the board and the fabric. After the glue is tacky, spread the headliner from the middle outward toward the edge of the board, being sure you get it nice and even.
HeadlinerFolded.jpg

Step 7: Use your scissors and razor blade to trim the edges. It doesn't have to be super perfect because it's going to be covered by your interior trim anyway.
HeadlinerFinished.jpg

Boo yah. Now I have a nice black headliner. :icon_rr:

Paul.

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
There's no chance! There's so much glue on that damn thing it will hold for another 22 years! :tongue3:

Paul.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JAR_19

Members online