HPDE or Track car pics

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/tech_rear_susp_panhard.aspx

There's some other tid-bits in the other FAQs as well. I'm re-doing all the bushings with a set of the M5500 UCAs and was just gathering info on the bushings and setup.

That's something that surprises me on this forum - the part on MM's page for the pan hard bar tech where they talk about how important it is to keep the rubber bushes in the upper control arms. I've seen so many folks here that are using some aftermarket uppers with poly bushes and wondered if they would run into issues. Maybe it doesn't matter than much if one isn't also using a pan hard bar? Or since they don't tend to track their cars, maybe they aren't seeing the stresses and forces that would push them into part-breaking territory?

RichV

Reaction score
Speaking from CMC rules, I cannot go with a T/A. Per rules, I have to keep the UCAs.

This year, I was set on aftermarket arms and spherical bushings in the back. In the end, I was doing exactly the opposite of what MM recommends. So I took a step back and got a set of the FR UCAs and a new set of MM axle bushings. Luckily I found all of them new from never installed projects on craigslist and ebay. Basically when you stiffen up the LCA the deflection will go somewhere. Ideally you want it to be the UCA/axle bushings. If those are stiff, you just tear up the torqueboxes. However, I know CMC guys replacing the bushings and UCAs almost every season. I tried running a PM3L in 2013 and it did not do well. The combination of the deflection going into 2 worn out bushings versus 4 was actually rolling my rear axle causing it to be not centered. And it was messing up all sorts of stuff.

I believe with a good performance alignment my front end is sorted. Changing gears to 3:55 or 3:27 and getting the axle bushings will finish off the rear end.

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/tech_rear_susp_panhard.aspx

There's some other tid-bits in the other FAQs as well. I'm re-doing all the bushings with a set of the M5500 UCAs and was just gathering info on the bushings and setup.

I plan on doing a whole complete suspension rehaul. from the bushings to the sway bars. Decided to go coilovers all around and the PHB/TA set up. Hopefully going to be a pretty good DD and track car :D

DavidBoren

Reaction score
Besides ride quality, which doesn't matter anyways because racecar, and because we aren't sissies... why not go with the spherical rod end uppers and lowers, and just reinforce the torque boxes? Seems like eliminating all the deflection in the suspension and transferring it all to the chassis would be the best option. And they make reinforced torque boxes. They even make reinforced adjustable torque boxes. Just a thought.

Love this thread, by the way.

wmfateam

Reaction score
I am installing my upper and lower control arms with spherical all around right now actually. Ran into a snag last night with my bushing removal tool bolt and bolt stripping. But I drove a mustang with said mods and it felt super stable. I should have video of the rear end by mid February on track at Chuckwalla.

RichV

Reaction score
You guys will have to give me some feedback on how he solid bushings work. Definitely get some torque box reinforcement.

One of the things MM elaborated on is that when the suspension is working the upper CA needs the ability to shrink and expand, that's the reason for the softer bushings and what causes suspension bind/snap oversteer with solid upper bushings. But I would think going to a T/A would solve that.

wmfateam

Reaction score
Had a track day on the 10th and 11th and then just last weekend, 25th. On the 10th and 11th I had factory upper control arms and MM lower control arms (Spherical at axle and Poly at chassis) and then yesterday, I had MM lowers with spherical at both ends and UPR uppers with Spherical on both sides. Very easy to get a good feel as being on the same track. I have to say the all spherical rear end feels great. Very planted, no longer has the feeling when going into a corner of the car stepping over, like the body moving over and the axle moving to the inside. Felt very predictable in the kink and through the fast left right left. I managed a best of 1.05.0 on the 11th and a 1.04.3 on the 25th. Tires were brand new on the 10th, and I usually get 3 events out of tires before I cord. I was dead even with lap times with a 97 Cobra that had the Full MM catalog thrown at it and was fully gutted, racing seat and harness and caged. He was running Maxxis RC-1 255-40-17 CarboTech brake pads. I am caged, only back seat removes and Recaro sport seats, stock seat belt, NT01 255-40/17, Raybestos ST-45 pads. And we are the same power wise, same underdrive pullies, same JLT cold air, same offroad x-pipe. It was a good back to back information gathering day for myself and the other Cobra driver as he was having vibration issues with his Carbotechs (sp). Next on my list is to take weight out, install racing seat and harness, gut hood and cut vent, radiator scoop, install MM K-Member and make Nascar style spoiler.

RichV

Reaction score
Good to hear the car feels better. Go to a 275 if you can, it will make a big difference. But you'll need 9-10" wheel.

wmfateam

Reaction score
I just switched from a 275 on a 9.5 wide rim. Currently on a 17x9 (03-04 Cobra) The class I'm trying to run in has a max tire width of 255 so I have been trying to get the hang of a smaller contact patch.

DavidBoren

Reaction score
You said that the car feels good with all spherical rod ends, but did you notice any loss of travel? Any binding or lock? Did you notice anything that could be considered wrong or detrimental after the switch to all rod ends?

wmfateam

Reaction score
Zero bind, zero loss of travel. I had the car in the air with the shocks removed, it has full articulation.

weendoggy

Reaction score
rear4.jpg

thiago aguiar

Reaction score
Sold my SN95 years ago and glad to see these community is still alive. I'm considering getting another for a track car to reduce my running cost. Tracking my M3 have been really expensive. Last track day I was running neck to neck with a well prep 95 mustang and I was really missing my old car.
What is the best suspension systems people running now days?

Tacbear

Reaction score
Barbers Motorsport Park 45th Anniversary of the Mustang National Show Pics of my 2000 GT on the Track and pics of me with the CEO of Ford Allen Mullaly, Trans Am Champ Scott Pruett and Tommy Kendall.DSC_0448 (Medium).JPG IMG_3931.1 (Medium).jpg DSC_0486.JPG DSC_0579 (Medium).JPG IMG_3993.1.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.