HPDE or Track car pics

wmfateam

Reaction score
Yes sir. My goal is to have maximum exit speed. I don't mind giving up a little on corner entry to get off the turn and down the back stretch.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yes sir. My goal is to have maximum exit speed. I don't mind giving up a little on corner entry to get off the turn and down the back stretch.

How competitive do you feel the car is? I noticed you gobbled up an M3 - I don't know what skill levels are out on the track during your runs; do you feel that in it's current form it's competitive?

wmfateam

Reaction score
I feel it is a tick off the pace. The two older M3's I am running with are in a class called P2. My car fits in that class currently, but I have more room power to weight wise to up power and or drop weight. And I am currently on crap front suspension and not enough spring rate in the rear, etc, etc. Seat time is what I am trying to get the most of right now. I am only a second off average time, so that gives me confidence that I can run with and be very competitive when I am actually race ready.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I feel it is a tick off the pace. The two older M3's I am running with are in a class called P2. My car fits in that class currently, but I have more room power to weight wise to up power and or drop weight. And I am currently on crap front suspension and not enough spring rate in the rear, etc, etc. Seat time is what I am trying to get the most of right now. I am only a second off average time, so that gives me confidence that I can run with and be very competitive when I am actually race ready.

What front suspension, and what lbs in the rear?

Edit: and I hear you on seat time. I need to find a way to get on-track without spending the money at NASA each time. That adds up fast.

wmfateam

Reaction score
Illumina struts, steeda Full comp springs, stock k member, stock steering shaft, -2 camber, steeda front sway bar. Don't get me wrong, it handles way better than stock, but target is to get the car to respond like a miata. I know it won't be as nimble, but consistent predictability Is the end goal. 225lbs in the rear on custom valved Bilstein shocks. We are tinkering with a rear suspension as well.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Illumina struts, steeda Full comp springs, stock k member, stock steering shaft, -2 camber, steeda front sway bar. Don't get me wrong, it handles way better than stock, but target is to get the car to respond like a miata. I know it won't be as nimble, but consistent predictability Is the end goal. 225lbs in the rear on custom valved Bilstein shocks. We are tinkering with a rear suspension as well.

Are you running a pan hard bar in the rear? If not, do you plan to?

wmfateam

Reaction score
No sir. Currently stock uppers, switching to steeda double adjustables next week, and maximum HD lowers, switching to their road race double adjustable no sway bar no spring perch next week as well. Going for a bind free set up.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
No sir. Currently stock uppers, switching to steeda double adjustables next week, and maximum HD lowers, switching to their road race double adjustable no sway bar no spring perch next week as well. Going for a bind free set up.

Not sure I followed all of that :( Ah, wait...the 96 Cobra is an IRS, yes?

wmfateam

Reaction score
Sorry I am jumping around, just had caffeine and am at work playing catch up. No SRA. The currently has stock uppers and Maximum Motorsports HD lowers (urethane front bushings and spherical rear bushings ). I have Steeda double adjustable with spherical front and rear, and Maximum Motorsports Road Race double adjustable spherical front and rear bushings. That is phase one. Then I will be putting a "lotus link" style setup, modified 4 link, once time and money get stable.

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Sorry I am jumping around, just had caffeine and am at work playing catch up. No SRA. The currently has stock uppers and Maximum Motorsports HD lowers (urethane front bushings and spherical rear bushings ). I have Steeda double adjustable with spherical front and rear, and Maximum Motorsports Road Race double adjustable spherical front and rear bushings. That is phase one. Then I will be putting a "lotus link" style setup, modified 4 link, once time and money get stable.

where did you get get those uppers? ive been looking for some i just cant find them. I am not a fan of the 3 link conversion, to much money for the same gain as a good set of uppers and a good axle brace.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
where did you get get those uppers? ive been looking for some i just cant find them. I am not a fan of the 3 link conversion, to much money for the same gain as a good set of uppers and a good axle brace.

Correct me if I'm wrong, guys (and maybe I am missing what you are saying, which is totally possible), but I've always been under the impression that using anything with any kind of harder/solid mount in the uppers will *increase* binding, unless going to a PM3L or similar. I've always thought the only true way to eliminate binding in the rear completely is go with something like a TA or similar... So won't putting those Steeda's in the uppers with the MM Road Race in the lowers actually increase binding?

wmfateam

Reaction score
They are on the steeda website, part number 555-4102. There is two options, one come with poly bushings for the axle housing, and the other does not. I have the ones without and also purchased Steeda's spherical bushings for the axle housing.

wmfateam

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, guys (and maybe I am missing what you are saying, which is totally possible), but I've always been under the impression that using anything with any kind of harder/solid mount in the uppers will *increase* binding, unless going to a PM3L or similar. I've always thought the only true way to eliminate binding in the rear completely is go with something like a TA or similar... So won't putting those Steeda's in the uppers with the MM Road Race in the lowers actually increase binding?
What you stated here is all I ever heard when getting into Mustangs. But every time I ask exactly where and how it binds, no one has a technical answer with proof. I am lucky enough to work with two suspension builders that have years of experience. One of them built a Cobra with the full Maximum Motorsports catalog thrown at it and one with just adjustable control arms with all spherical bushings. I have been on track with both cars and seen them both on a lift. The axle in the spherical bushings car has total range of motion, zero binding. The torque arm car, while at least the axle will not move side to side, binds. And don't quote me, because I never retain word for word what I learn, but I believe the arc motion in which a pan hard bar car moves, there are a couple gifs I have seen on other forums, where the car will turn better in one direction, is the binding. I can get better or more information when I get to work if need be.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
What you stated here is all I ever heard when getting into Mustangs. But every time I ask exactly where and how it binds, no one has a technical answer with proof. I am lucky enough to work with two suspension builders that have years of experience. One of them built a Cobra with the full Maximum Motorsports catalog thrown at it and one with just adjustable control arms with all spherical bushings. I have been on track with both cars and seen them both on a lift. The axle in the spherical bushings car has total range of motion, zero binding. The torque arm car, while at least the axle will not move side to side, binds. And don't quote me, because I never retain word for word what I learn, but I believe the arc motion in which a pan hard bar car moves, there are a couple gifs I have seen on other forums, where the car will turn better in one direction, is the binding. I can get better or more information when I get to work if need be.

Yah, if you don't mind, please do. I'm really curious to see what your finds here are.

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
ya i agree, ive read that binding occurs with bushings. Once you go spherical it can move "freely" and it doesnt bind. Also another reason why panhard isnt the best solution. It favors one said over the other. Reason why hardcore road racers prefer the watt links.

hotmustang95

Reaction score
Name............. Victor

Car................ 95 GTS

Drivetrain....... 306 with AFR165's, Holley Systemax Intake, Comp Cams Magnum 281HR, Full Race Exhaust and supporting mods

Suspension..... H&R Super Race Springs, Bilstein HD Shocks and Struts, Steeda 4 bolt Race Caster/Camber Plates, Steeda Front Swaybar, MM RLCA's, MM Panhard Bar, Custom Tower Brace

Brakes........... 13" 2000 Cobra R Front Brakes with custom made air ducts, Cobra rear brakes, Hawk DTC70s in front and 60's in the rear, Motul 600 RBF.

Wheels........... 17X9 Cobra R's on all four corners wrapped in Nitto NT01's in 275-40-17

Tracks run at .. Sebring, Homestead, PBIR=Palm Beach International Raceway, Daytona

Comments..... Bought the car over 12 years ago. Started out as a show and daily driver but soon fell in with the wrong crowd and now it's almost a track only car. Only reason it's not fully gutted is because I still love driving it around and I don't have a truck and trailer to tow it to events, YET........

RichV

Reaction score
ya i agree, ive read that binding occurs with bushings. Once you go spherical it can move "freely" and it doesnt bind. Also another reason why panhard isnt the best solution. It favors one said over the other. Reason why hardcore road racers prefer the watt links.

I was actually reading some MM directions on PHB setup and how they came to develop the PHB. They have some strong arguments on why the PHB works better on the Fox chassis due to COG and RC, when used with a T/A and no UCAs of course. It was an interesting read, even at the race track a Watts is not too common.

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
I was actually reading some MM directions on PHB setup and how they came to develop the PHB. They have some strong arguments on why the PHB works better on the Fox chassis due to COG and RC, when used with a T/A and no UCAs of course. It was an interesting read, even at the race track a Watts is not too common.

mind sharing?? i would love to read that

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online