I need better traction

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
245 on a 9 inch is too thin honestly. youre starting to reach ricer territory at that point because the tire is starting to stretch. like i said before, go to willtheyfit.com and play around with tire and rim widths

this is a comparrison of 245 35 18 and a 275 35 18 tire on a 9 inch wide wheel.
the offset does not matter at this point since we are talking about tire sizes, but you can see the difference of the tire fitting on the wheel with the orange and the green. this site is a great resource to have

https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.p...ct2=35&wheel_size=18&wheel_width=9&offset2=20

i looked on there website and the 245/45 didn’t look that bad but the 315/35s do look bad.
I’m stuck with my 17” wheels for now and need to keep the side walls at the stock 110 mm cause I’m low and even a small difference in side wall height will make a massive difference to the amount of times I hit the road until I get my coil over kit. This is all thanks to the previous owner E0874E13-BBA5-446F-BB8C-AED2026E848D.png

Attachments

• 7B888B0B-073D-478B-8C03-6018D6F96988.png
    7B888B0B-073D-478B-8C03-6018D6F96988.png
    523.3 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
yea, 315 on a 9 is ridiculous, lol. run a 255 40 17 on your wheels, or a 275 35 17 if you can find one. my car is lowered more than what youve mentioned earlier and when i had factory fenders on the car i never had a real issue rubbing with about half an inch of space between the tire and fender. my issues were usually in the form of destroying my fender liners and bottoming out

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
yea, 315 on a 9 is ridiculous, lol. run a 255 40 17 on your wheels, or a 275 35 17 if you can find one. my car is lowered more than what youve mentioned earlier and when i had factory fenders on the car i never had a real issue rubbing with about half an inch of space between the tire and fender. my issues were usually in the form of destroying my fender liners and bottoming out

Mate I’m for ever hitting the extra support brace that goes under the K member (I have a convertible)

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
is that how low it is??? thats not low at all!

yep that’s how lower it is and yes I know it’s not mega low but it can’t get over a speed bump without hitting the lower brace member support under the K member plus it skips across uneven roads like made and the two tubular pieces of metal that run the left and right side from front to rear also hit the speed bumps.

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
I will get under the car to day with a rule and measure the ground clearance and send in some photos, do any of you lot have any ground clearance issues?
If so do you have any photos of how low your ride is ?

Reaction score
honestly, i think what you probably need to do is get tires that fit with a higher tire profile (275 40 17) and upgrade your dampers to something like the HD bilsteins. sounds like youre suffering from a hand ful of things both tire and suspension related. correrct me if im wrong, but i think you should be able to ditch that brace if you upgrade to some subframe connectors. i dont really remember any scrape issues with my step dads 98 when he had it and the vert was a lot lower than this

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
I do have some subframe connector I think, are they the square metal tubes that run down the left and right hand side of the car?
I’m running 275/40/17 on the fronts at the moment and that size tyre has the same side wall hight as the 315/35 tyres which will be getting change very soon

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
subframe connectors will go from the front, directly below the seats and then connect in the back. You should be able to see the welds on it to show its aftermarket. I wasn't sure if you could remove the vert brace if you had them but then realistically as much as we hate the sound of our cars scraping if you take it off, how much space is it going to buy you and then what will end up being scraped instead of a metal brace?

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
subframe connectors will go from the front, directly below the seats and then connect in the back. You should be able to see the welds on it to show its aftermarket. I wasn't sure if you could remove the vert brace if you had them but then realistically as much as we hate the sound of our cars scraping if you take it off, how much space is it going to buy you and then what will end up being scraped instead of a metal brace?

yes I can remove the brace and if I remove that the next thing to scrape would be the K member. I will have a look at the subframe connects the next time I with the car but that will not be until after xmas

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online