iffy DSM VS. NPI GT

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
aside from being T boned... you wouldn't (or maybe you would) believe all the mechanical failure he's encountered with it.

I know the AWD turbo ones are quick... but ALL DSMs dont' have very good reliability

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
No they don't have reliability!! I was on a DSM forum yesterday with a buddy and one of the members had a quote as their signature. It said: "reliability is soooo overrated" :hammer:

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
hahaha... here's something odd... somehow out of nowhere one of his camshafts got warped.... dont' ask me how

ooo another guy, mutual buddy... used to have a 91 eclipse... same deal, FWD non turbo.... one day it just threw a rod through the pan. Out of nowhere with like 101000 on it... and this guy babied the car.

Turds

i betchu I race him and somethin will break

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
monkeydude3 said:
hahaha... here's something odd... somehow out of nowhere one of his camshafts got warped.... dont' ask me how

ooo another guy, mutual buddy... used to have a 91 eclipse... same deal, FWD non turbo.... one day it just threw a rod through the pan. Out of nowhere with like 101000 on it... and this guy babied the car.

Turds

i betchu I race him and somethin will break

FIRST OFF: POST # 1000

anyway. yeah that doesn't surprise me a bit. my buddy has a 93 Turbo Laser FWD ATX. I raced him when i first got my car (he called me out) and he ended up throwing his timing and a bearing! Killed him by like 7 or 8 car lengths or something. don't know exactly but it was a definite OVERKILL.

S

scarface

Wow, I got lucky with mine. I replaced the timming belts, removed the balance shafts, and put an evo III turbo on it....I had over 300 AWHP and drove it HARD for a year. The only issue I ever had was It didnt like to idle.

SvtBlack95

Reaction score
scarface said:
Wow, I got lucky with mine. I replaced the timming belts, removed the balance shafts, and put an evo III turbo on it....I had over 300 AWHP and drove it HARD for a year. The only issue I ever had was It didnt like to idle.

sounds like my old car..... i had to tsi's before the cobra...... first one was a fwd but it had no traction highway king, and the other one was an awd with about about 7 grand thrown into it i also had the evo turbo ported from slow boy racing ....... very fun car was a complete sleeper most stangs couldnt keep up cuz i grabed a couple of car lengths right from the start.... and yea they dont like to idle when you start adding things

SvtBlack95

Reaction score
scarface said:

sounds like my old car..... i had to tsi's before the cobra...... first one was a fwd but it had no traction highway king, and the other one was an awd with about about 7 grand thrown into it i also had the evo turbo ported from slow boy racing ....... very fun car was a complete sleeper most stangs couldnt keep up cuz i grabed a couple of car lengths right from the start.... and yea they dont like to idle when you start adding things

S

scarface

SvtBlack95 said:
scarface said:

My car is now owned by a guy who works for Hummel at slowboy

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
what would a FWD DSM non turbo run in the 1/4 stock... assuming it runs right?

How about with a 50-75 shot of nitrous?

Just curious. I know my car is a 15 second car that could pull a 14 under the optimal conditions, just wonderin what he should run.

I can't wait till my car is in the 13s

BOOSTED98GT

Reaction score
monkeydude3 said:

The nonturbo models had the 420A engine, aka a base Neon engine. Might as well be a honduh.

Should be a close race if he's able to spray w/o warping any more cams. (Bwahaha).

Good luck.

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
BOOSTED98GT said:
monkeydude3 said:

The nonturbo models had the 420A engine, aka a base Neon engine. Might as well be a honduh.

Should be a close race if he's able to spray w/o warping any more cams. (Bwahaha).

Good luck.

not ALL non-turbo models have the 420A ( :puke:)

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
it's got the 2.0 I know that.
At any rate it's been nothing but a PITA for him. Has anyone seen the "vehicular lunatics DVD"? The guy Sav in there has an AWD turbo Talon... in the video you hear it mentioned he had so many problems with it that it was retired from daily driver status. ha

Greggerex

Reaction score
They can be nice little cars though if you know how to take care of them.

A guy I work with has a 1998 AWD TSi for his summer car and a 1990 AWD TSi for his winter car. ;D

His 98 ran a 12.48 in the 1/4 this summer - not too shabby.

SvtBlack95

Reaction score
scarface said:
SvtBlack95 said:
scarface said:

My car is now owned by a guy who works for Hummel at slowboy

no shit huh... those guys at slowboy are cool as hell i havent bought somethign from them in years and they still send my christmas cards

NERD

Reaction score
I had a 91 GSX for my winter beater last winter. Which quickly became a new hobby. I actually sold it because I was modding the Eclipse more than the mustang. My 91 GSX with 15lbs of boost would toast my mustang when it was NA. I had roughly 2 grand into the car. I was pulling 12.10's. I sold it to a kid who blew it up the day he bought it from me. He just finished the rebuild and now it's going to be faster than my 400hp S/C'd mustang. only thing I'll have over him is I wont break. Whereas, DSM... Well I'm sure you know spend most of the time broke.

DFG_magic

Reaction score
Sounds like you may have a valve cover pcv issue. Blue smoke but full compression? There is a tube running from the drivers side valve cover to the intake hose. Cap off the port on the intake hose, and cap off the end of the thin pipe coming from the drivers valve cover. Take the car for a spin. Let me know if your car stops smoking. Just a thought. This has worked on five 96 cars that I know of locally.

DFG_magic

Reaction score
Also, your car should bust his ass even with the squeeze. Was watching Pass Time on speedvision and a 92 dsm non turbo with 150 shot automatic was running 15.2's. :dunno:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online