Is it really worth it?

Wyguy55

Reaction score
Hello everyone, finally got back on here after a few months! So im in a pickle right now as far as going forward with building my car. I have a 94 Sn95 5 speed vert that i purchased off the original owner and love the look of the car, after doing research on the year and specs of the car ive realized its slow. i get it. what is the definition of slow tho in the mustang world? Is it something where i throw bolt ons and im still getting beat by a honda on the streets? idk? I would really love to build the car meaning the basic bolt ons but i dont want to waste my money in the long run if its not going to have the put you back in your seat factor, I understand its a vert and its heavy blah blah blah. I just want a flat out honest opinion about fixing up a 94 sn95? Is it really worth it?

My want list:
cobra intake
bbk tb 70mm
cai (already have)
h pipe
short shifter
eibach springs
gears 3.73s
and of course cosmetics

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Don't listen to anyone on the vert crap. It's heavy sure. Is it a coupe nah. Do you like it well you obviously do. I love mine. Verts are hated on.

Oh but throw a s281 or fr500's and suddenly your the talk of the town.

The list you have sounds great but your not going to get any real power mods from them at all. Go with a 351 roller motor some alum heads and an intake that's all you'll need. To have a fun yet nimble car. Once you do suspension of course.

I love my 95 Vert! I like being different. I do stuff no one does.

20140222_141930.jpg

20140222_142017.jpg

20140223_171233.jpg

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Mustangs are ghey and hondas are ghey too.

Mustangs are faster and funner to drive though.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If you have to ask... Its probably not worth it for you.

Just remember, at the end of the day there's always someone faster.
Who cares if its "slow". If you enjoy driving and building it, that's all that matters.

TanTop94

Reaction score
If you have to ask... Its probably not worth it for you.

Just remember, at the end of the day there's always someone faster.
Who cares if its "slow". If you enjoy driving and building it, that's all that matters.

This ^^^ is a good way to look at it....you will be building a car for your needs. Not what everyone else wants. If a stock car with about 200hp to the wheel is what you want then so be it. Or if your looking to stroke a 351 to the multiple variations and make some huge power thats fine too. But in the end, someone will beat you in a race or in a show blah blah. Im going to OC cruisin week and I already know I wont have to fastest or best looking car. But I have something I can be proud of.

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
I think if you did a simple trickflow top end kit you'd like it. 300ish whp and no a honda won't keep up with that; at least not the bolt on ones you find on the street. Obviously a built one pushing 220+ would be harder to beat. Idk I'd never buy a vert though.

Mustanger

Reaction score
Our cars are still a blast to drive! No matter if they are slow by today's standards...they have the cool factor & can really turn heads & get compliments. I literally cannot drive my car in town (a small one) without getting thumbs up & people calling out "Nice car!" as we go by. I invented a new way to rate a car...The TPS factor ...or Thumbs Per Mile...I seem to vary from 1.5 TPM's to a high of 4 TPM's. This is not counting the flybys or revs & challenges to race...some of which is due to my plates which read DNT TRY. LOL...I have fun with those.

Our cars give a certain feeling when you slide in behind the wheel, turn the key on & hear that deep rumble, the feel of how stable & quick it turns on the road & how hard you can brake it. It seems like it has an aggressive personality & I just cannot drive it like I would in a camry say. My 94 interior is nice & tight no squeaks etc...& looks so much better than the new ones (IMO of course) All the sensory inputs just plain change my attitude to a happy one every time. It's mental therapy!

I don't know of any other car that you can pick up so cheaply, have so many options to add/change it looks so easily, and appeals to so many as a Mustang! And I have found that our cars are definitely growing in appreciation...One of my best compliments came from a chevy guy that walked over to me as I parked and said he hated Mustangs but he LOVED mine for some reason...LOL, I told him Watch out they will grow on you!

410sn95

Reaction score
If you do like the car and you realize you will never get your money out of it. IMHO, you should just fix some of the handling/chassis issues and get a blower.

Have fun and fix/maintain as needed.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
It is worth it imo. No the 94-98 mustangs were not quick unless it was a Cobra, Saleen etc... I have a 95 GT, full exhaust, cai.. Its quicker than stock but still dog slow.. But ya know whats fun? Squealing the tires, laying dual strips of rubber down the street, cruising around and just listening to the lovely music of that 5.0... Yes they will get destroyed by most newer cars whether you wanna believe it or not.. Do some motor work, or turbo, supercharger and gears.. you'll have a pretty quick car. You'd be surprised what these things can do, I held door to door with a newer G37 sedan.. Do some suspension work, motor, rear end, brakes, aesthetics and you'll be golden

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
Lots of good advice already posted and the advice I'm going to give isn't any more right or wrong. It's just my opinion but it will require you to spend money.

Q) what is the definition of slow tho in the mustang world?
A) In my opinion, anything running 14's at the 1/4 dragstrip. On the dyno, anything making under 275rwhp.

Q) Is it something where i throw bolt ons and im still getting beat by a honda on the streets? idk?
A) It depends on your bolt-ons. The ones you listed isn't going to make a huge difference in the power department.

Q) I would really love to build the car meaning the basic bolt ons but i dont want to waste my money in the long run if its not going to have the put you back in your seat factor.
A) If you plan your modifications correctly then you won't waste your money.

Q) I just want a flat out honest opinion about fixing up a 94 sn95? Is it really worth it?
A) Probably the wrong web site to come asking that question because the majority here thinks it's worth it. Be honest with your goals, and I'm sure you'll be able to beat those Hondas and a few other cars out there too.

Personally, I think 400rwhp is a lot of HP for a street car on a stock block. What's the easiest way to get there? You need to determine how sound your motor is now. Based on the information you find, it will dictate what your next move should be.

OP want list:
* cobra intake: Small gains in terms of HP. I would rather see a set of aftermarket aluminum cylinder heads done first or along with that intake.
* bbk tb 70mm: Save your money, not needed at your current HP level or 400rwhp

* cai (already have):
Okay
* h pipe: For your needs you'll need nothing more than 2.5" but adding a set of headers and mufflers will finish off your exhaust system, and that's a good thing.

* short shifter:
Short money for the peace of mind of better shifts.
* eibach springs: Okay

* gears 3.73s
: Is this an Automatic or 5 speed?
* and of course cosmetics: It wouldn't be any fun, if you can't put your own personal touch to the car. Sounds like to me you're already been bitten by the mod bug.

Good luck and enjoy your new to you Vert.
Michael Plummer

5litrarag

Reaction score
I love my 95 Vert...I've had it since 98 and been through a bolt on combo and now a stroker motor. It never was terribly fast, but I'm not looking to set the world on fire anyway. 330-360 rwhp has made the car more than enough fun for me over the years. Havent driven it in a while but Im looking to get it going here pretty soon....

20130729_165705.jpg

PonyGlued

Reaction score
Just enjoy it for now and look for something else since your heart is not in it, but even my 3.8 is exhilarating to drive after all its a Stang :grin:

RichV

Reaction score
Yea, skip the T/B and do some heads and cam. Not very difficult in the install department, but add the intake maybe a tune and you'll be sitting in the 300rwhp arena if done right. That's around 350hp at the motor, with a 3500lb slug that's about 11.6 lbs/HP. Make it lighter, and that # decreases and you'll be faster.

Adding HP also needs adding traction and stability, so chassis and suspension mods will be needed eventually.

If you can't beat an all stock 90's Accord with the above mods, I'd be surprised. :p

OP
OP
W

Wyguy55

Reaction score
Thanks guys for voicing your opinions, and just a side note, when i asked "is it woth it" i didnt mean by ditching the stang and getting something different, no shot i know you guys out alot of blood sweat and tears in these ponies and i was wondering if just going with a newer model would be better, but i enjoy the 5.0. So again thank you as I am sticking to my gut and heart and moving forward with my 94 stang!! Ill keep you guys posted:)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online