Its official the 2valve pi manifold has ceased production.

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
on my old P71, it had the no alum crossover and it cracked. got a used one and it was fine for years until I got rid of the car. I have a P74 as a daily now and I bought a new Ford Performance PI intake a couple of years ago as a backup. glad I did now hearing this. still in the box.

joe65

Reaction score
personal experience with the Dorman vs the good Ford PI manifold. A friend sold me the revised PI and i slapped it on my stock motor with an accufab plenum and throttle body. Really woke the thing up. It was noticeable. I didn't think the Dorman was bad until I replaced it. Now I think it sucks. lol. Yeah I'll be grabbing any I see for sale now.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
that was my plan as well. Bought the car bone stock end of July. Discovered it had a dorman on it. Was gonna buy a PI intake, plenum and TB and do it all at the same time.

Come to find out I bought the car a month late. :(

I guess I can live with it for now. It’s just a stock DD convertible anyway. If I need speed I have a modified Foxbody.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have noticed the 94/95 cobra intakes have made a pretty big increase in price over the past few years as well. I think I got the one I have for $250 before I ported/polished and had it ceramic coated.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Ok,

Alternate intake manifold?

Part Number: 9W7Z-9424-A (click link)

Later Lincoln Town car manifold. My understanding is that this is a PI intake manifold, but the main difference is it lacks the port for the coolant temp sensor. I assume no issue to add this, or swap over an aluminum crossover from a Mustang.

Any other differences? Yeah, the price blows but the Mustang specific part number has seemed to have dried up. I have a used PI manifold, but I really prefer to bolt a new one on as I daily drive this car and need reliability.

Last edited:

07GtS197

Reaction score
Have you called to verify they actually have some in stock? Other than what you mentioned, they’re the same. There is a boss to tap or you could swap over the crossover if you have it.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Have you called to verify they actually have some in stock? .

Was the plan for tomorrow.

I've pretty much given up on the Mustang one. Called multiple dealerships and various online retailers. Placed about a dozen orders with cancellations following. Nobody has one anymore.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Was the plan for tomorrow.

I've pretty much given up on the Mustang one. Called multiple dealerships and various online retailers. Placed about a dozen orders with cancellations following. Nobody has one anymore.
Keep us posted.

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The lincolns, mercury's, e150 vans, mustangs all use the same plastic manifold. Its the water channels that differ. Their were like 40 something part #'s but actual 8 different water channels through the years.

The water channels are attached with bolts and can be swapped over from the old to the new if needed. Two reusable rubber seals are sandwiched in between and should be replaced with age.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Keep us posted.

They are available. I purchased one and already have a tracking number.

I have a used PI intake arriving tomorrow. Photos looked good, but like i said...i'd rather have a brand spanking new intake vs a used one. Maybe i'll sit on the used one as a backup...

I still need to pick up an alternator bracket and all the misc hardware that typically gets discarded when swapping to the dorman intake. Winter project for sure.

Last edited:

07GtS197

Reaction score
They are available. I purchased one and already have a tracking number.

I have a used PI intake arriving tomorrow. Photos looked good, but like i said...i'd rather have a brand spanking new intake vs a used one. Maybe i'll sit on the used one as a backup...

I still need to pick up an alternator bracket and all the misc hardware that typically gets discarded when swapping to the dorman intake. Winter project for sure.
Nice! I’ll have to order one now.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score

This is the one I ended up buying after shopping around for the best price. Shipping costs were the main variable. Ranged from $20 to $100 in shipping from various wholesalers and dealers.

eBay link

Hey 96blak54, are all the various plastic 4.6 manifolds discontinued now? Even this vic intake?

Last edited:
OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The only intake still in production replaces the 4.6l trucks, van, and whatever else ford sold elsewhere in the world that this intake can replace. It had a plastic upper plenum sonic welded on top. Ill snap a pic

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
1000001165.jpg

The main manifold we call here at work the substrate is very similar. Its designed for this upper throttle body mount and as you can see its not oriented in the direction like ours and doesnt have the mounting screws for the upper plenum like ours do.

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Ill admit the technology involved manufacturing this type of intake is very cool. Make a metal preform for the internal size. Place preform inside a mold. Inject plastic all around the preform, then melt the metal preform out......wa la....intake.

Cool as it is, the costs to manufacture this process has risen alot and is why Ford is not investing any more money towards it

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Cool as it is, the costs to manufacture this process has risen alot and is why Ford is not investing any more money towards it

Why i wanted to scoop one up before they are gone for good. Lots of folks on the FB forums refuse to believe they are discontinued for good and think it's just a production delay, or that the crown vic one will still be available moving forwards.

Doesn't make sense for me to coyote/4V swap a stock convertible daily driver but at the same time I want all my original advertised HP.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score

Hope you grabbed one. The link i posted where I got mine shows them all out of stock. A couple more vendors with that part number still show inventory. I imagine as word gets out those will dry up quickly.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Victor jr intake is a top performer for the 2v when boosted or high reving

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Hope you grabbed one. The link i posted where I got mine shows them all out of stock. A couple more vendors with that part number still show inventory. I imagine as word gets out those will dry up quickly.

Didn't realize you'd joined here. Man, I swear you're on every forum I peruse. :D

Welcome!