Its official the 2valve pi manifold has ceased production.

mcgr

Reaction score
But what is the next best plastic intake aftermarket is offering at the moment? Dorman is way more inferior, but there are some aftermarket PI designs also?

Last edited:

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Perhaps the Professional Products Typhoon? It's basically an aluminum version of the PI intake. Not really a significant HP gain (if any) and prone to heat soak. However, they seem to be selling for over $1K on ebay now for some reason.

I'd want to lean towards the Bullitt intake, but they are also expensive and usually sold sans the unique parts needed to actually install it on an standard GT. It's not just the intake manifold but various misc brackets and lines and such that are needed. Even the alternator is unique. I haven't seen a complete bullitt intake kit for sale for some time.

Some of the other aftermarket intakes out there are geared more towards performance applications. You might gain top end HP, but sacrificed a little torque down low.

It's really a crap situation. If your Original PI intake goes out, it's either $100 and lose 20HP, or pony up $1K just to retain the HP you already had.

I'm even starting to see the sale prices of used PI intakes creep up into the $200-300 range now.

Last edited:

mcgr

Reaction score
But what is the next best plastic intake aftermarket is offering at the moment? Dorman is way more inferior, but there are some aftermarket PI designs also?

I was talking about stock replacement intakes not big dollar unobtainium.

07GtS197

Reaction score
All aftermarket plastic intakes for these cars are crap. You have four options, used pi, new old stock pi, aftermarket plastic or aftermarket performance. Good luck options one and two. Option three sucks and option four is expensive. At this point, I think swapping to an Edelbrock is the best option. The only gripe I have with it is the short runners. It will kill low end torque.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I was talking about stock replacement intakes not big dollar unobtainium.

There really isn’t a good one. I believe there are only two options for the cheap replacements.

Dorman intake, which looks like a spider with how the runners spread out. Plenum volume smaller. I've seen knockoffs of this design some on ebay for under $100. It might be a repackaged dorman or a true knock-off by another vendor. From what i can tell, the molding marks on the intakes are the same. I have one of these on my cars and it just looks cheap and thin plastic
1698849720487.png

And another version which mimics the PI intake runner design, but the plenum volume is smaller and doesn't "plunge" as deep (same on Dorma). I have seen this stype sold by multiple vendors with little variation on the intake, so I suspect it's one manufacturer and repackaged by different vendors (SKP, ATP, Ebay cheapo, etc). Again, i've seen cheap ones sold on ebay for under $100 as a kit.
1698849951655.png

If i had to pick one, i'd go with the second version with the staggered runners. WIsh someone did a dyno test between these two to understand which one sucks more in terms of HP loss.

Last edited:

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Discontinuation denial is real. Seems nobody wants to believe that the intake is no longer available and just says "it's on backorder".

One particular vendor went as far to delete one of my comments on one of their videos and instead continues to have folks place orders with a "We will update shipping when available" suggestion.

Oh well.

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Well,....sometimes other companies will buy out a product in a way to make money and keep production rolling, but unless that company purchases the only way to produce this intake manifold from the company that invented the process, I dont see it. This process is not as simple as taking multiple sections of molded plastic and sonic welding them together like 99% of all other manufactured intakes are. Oh well,...let that company fail!

TRS666

Reaction score
So i am in this boat now also, OEM intake cracked! Being in Europe the used option not available. Summit has given me 4 different shipping dates on the Ford Racing one this fall but don´t really think they will be shipping. Lookin at Rock Auto site (they are very reasonable in shipping to Europe) they have 4 variants, Dorman and SKP/Autotecnica/ATP that all look the same.
Snip20231121_1.png
Dorman is out but what is interesting is the ATP one is almost double the price of SKP & Autotecnica and on the info site description says the runners and ports match the factory design and does not compromise performance & drivability.

Snip20231121_2.png
Anyone looked closer at the ATP one? I have no problem with the price is the product is better then the SKP/Autotecnica ones.

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Try looking up intake manifolds for lincolns, crown vic, mercury marquis. Pretty much the same manifold, different part #.

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
notice that the SKP/Autotecnica one is for the coolant pcv. depending on what your vehicle has.

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The intake is a base substrate. What made them model specific is the aluminum crossover used. Long as its a ford pi manifold, one can just unbolt and swap the crossover needed. Be sure to use the new crossover gaskets

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
So i am in this boat now also, OEM intake cracked! Being in Europe the used option not available. Summit has given me 4 different shipping dates on the Ford Racing one this fall but don´t really think they will be shipping. Lookin at Rock Auto site (they are very reasonable in shipping to Europe) they have 4 variants, Dorman and SKP/Autotecnica/ATP that all look the same.

Dorman is out but what is interesting is the ATP one is almost double the price of SKP & Autotecnica and on the info site description says the runners and ports match the factory design and does not compromise performance & drivability.

Anyone looked closer at the ATP one? I have no problem with the price is the product is better then the SKP/Autotecnica ones.

Look at post #66. It appears there are two main variants. They might be subtle differences if you spec a crown vic vs a Mustang with regards to the coolant crossover, but strictly looking at the 99-04 Mustang, there are distinctly two different aftermarker intake designs. The Dorman "spiderleg" style and the more traditional style with staggered runners. I've seen dorman knock-offs which look exactly the same but are missing some of the dorman specific markings. All the other casting looks to be the same. Same with the traditional stagger type intake. I haven't seen much variation in the way the part was manufacturer, outside of the coolant crossover which might be why part numbers differ between specific models

I have no proof of this other than casual observations with regards to casting/molding marks being identical between different offerings, but i think the actual aftermarket offerings are far less than we think.

If this is all that is available, would be nice if someone did a dyno test between the Dorman spiderleg style intake and the stagger runner style. I know the dorman is down ~20HP from the PI based on the LMR dyno, but curious how the other one is?

I'm still curious why many vendors are still stalling on removing the product from their offering. One big vendor is deleting any reference to the PI intake being discontinued from their videos. Guess they want to take in the revenue and worry about refunding later.

TRS666

Reaction score
notice that the SKP/Autotecnica one is for the coolant pcv. depending on what your vehicle has.
Sorry, quite new on these modular engines, what is coolant PCV and how does it look like, heat exchanger for crankcase ventilation?

Last edited:

TRS666

Reaction score
The intake is a base substrate. What made them model specific is the aluminum crossover used. Long as its a ford pi manifold, one can just unbolt and swap the crossover needed. Be sure to use the new crossover gaskets
The strange thing is that mine is a 2001 so should be PI but the intake and cross over are plastic so i do not have an aluminium cross over to play with. It is leaking where the aluminium thermostat cover meets the plastic housing. The car was sold new in AZ so should not be some strange export stuff, but maybe someone already changed the intake, don´t know.

Last edited:

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I’m sure someone will corrrxt me if I’m wrong but all 2001 should have the revised intake. The recall was for the 99-00 models.

Is your car a very early build? Aug of ‘00?

Edit: from what I searched, looks like early ‘01 mustangs may have had the Windsor engine and plastic intake. So that could have been factory installed

TRS666

Reaction score
I’m sure someone will corrrxt me if I’m wrong but all 2001 should have the revised intake. The recall was for the 99-00 models.

Is your car a very early build? Aug of ‘00?

Edit: from what I searched, looks like early ‘01 mustangs may have had the Windsor engine and plastic intake. So that could have been factory installed
I will check yhe build date. Think i read that you can see which engine it is from the number of valve cover screws? Or is it coded in VIN?