Its official the 2valve pi manifold has ceased production.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
SO what is the purpose of the insulator blanket on the bottom of the Vic intake?

If it for heat insulation? Or NVH?

Im debating if i install it, or just leave it off.

EDIT: Most internet searches imply it's more for sound insulation when at WOT. I'll leave it off.

1711114236177.png

Last edited:

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Not my intake. Popped up on FB. Apparently all the “backordered” intakes have begun shipping.

It’s a FoMoCo branded Dorman intake.

07GtS197

Reaction score
I’m curious whether the pi intake was patented. I’m sure the bigger factor to manufacturers not making them, though, is that it’s more expensive than the other crap out there now. I was looking into the trickflow intake as the streetburner intake has runners close to the same length as the pi intake. But it looks like they’re out of stock so I’m guessing trickflow is cutting their intakes too. That just leaves used intakes, crappy aftermarket and Edelbrock.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
It’s the method of manufacturing. The Dormans, I believe, are molded in sections and then sonic welded. The original PI intake is made as one piece with a sacrificial internal mold that is melted down. It’s that particular method that allows for the deeper plenum “plunge”

At least that’s my take on it given the info 96blak54 has offered up.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Box it came in. Looks like it’s a new part number

PU7Z-9424-A

IMG_0844.jpeg

Can’t actually find one for sale. Found one on eBay and this was the listing info for product usage.

IMG_0849.jpeg

Last edited:

07GtS197

Reaction score
Wow so, like other parts, the pi intake is now supplied through Dorman. I guess that makes sense but that’s a huge bummer, especially at that price. I guess I’ll be on the hunt for some used pi intakes now.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I’ve got a PI intake that I bought brand new from the dealer in 2019 ish. I think it’s got 40k miles on it or so. It’s on my town car that I am getting rid of. I’m going to swap the intake out for a Dorman intake. So I’ll have one I can let go of. Won’t have it for a few months but I’ll have it off soon.

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
It’s the method of manufacturing. The Dormans, I believe, are molded in sections and then sonic welded. The original PI intake is made as one piece with a sacrificial internal mold that is melted down. It’s that particular method that allows for the deeper plenum “plunge”

At least that’s my take on it given the info 96blak54 has offered up.

Exactly! We in the factory dubbed the production line "loss core". Supposedly only 2 facilities in the world had this production. I believe the company owned both and the patent process. Now this factory no longer has this process.

1000000137.jpg

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
So long story short, the Dorman is all that exists now, and you'd be stupid to pay the inflated pricing on the Ford unit and might as well get the reboxed Dorman's on ebay for $100 since it's all the same.

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
That stinks Ford is doing that, but I get it. makes me even more glad I bought my extra PI intake from Summit long before all this happened.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Interestingly enough...i can't actually find part number PU7Z-9424-A for sale anywhere.

There's one i saw on FB, and one completed auction on Ebay. Looking at the different Ford sites. Nothing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gregssn96

Members online