Its official the 2valve pi manifold has ceased production.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Count the valve cover screws. Windsors had 13/14 and Romeo’s had 11/11. If it’s a windsor it should also have 19 lb orange top injectors.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
13 or 14 valve cover bolts would be the 99-01 Windsor engine.

11 valve cover bolts would be the 01-04 Romeo.

The vin does have a differnt digit for Romeo vs Windsor but I don’t recall offhand what it is.

As an aside, the transmission also changed mid 2001. The early cars were T-45 and the later cars got the T-3650.

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
Sorry, quite new on these modular engines, what is coolant PCV and how does it look like, heat exchanger for crankcase ventilation?
there's a plastic "t"fitting that the coolant hose comes off of. on my 01 Bullitt I used to have it was back by and a part of the heater hoses.passenger side near the firewall . those "T' fittings crack. you have to be very careful removing the "T" fitting as it is very easy to crack the heater core. Ask me how I know.....

TRS666

Reaction score
13 or 14 valve cover bolts would be the 99-01 Windsor engine.

11 valve cover bolts would be the 01-04 Romeo.

The vin does have a differnt digit for Romeo vs Windsor but I don’t recall offhand what it is.

As an aside, the transmission also changed mid 2001. The early cars were T-45 and the later cars got the T-3650.
I have the T-3650, already put a shifter on it. Think it was a August 2001 build but have to check when back from vacation.

TRS666

Reaction score
Thinking of this, if i have a Windsor engine, is the intake the same so in Windsor and Romeo engines, meaning can i just order a intake for a 2001 GT Mustang and it fits both engines?

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
All ford pi style intakes physically bolt onto any 2v 4.6l, pi or npi. The differences are sensor placement and an extra water port on the aluminum water channel.

Another style 4.6l that would work but doesnt function correctly for any car style 4.6l setup was an intake that replaces truck and van 4.6l setups. This particular intake has a plastic upper throttlebody mount that can not be unbolted from the intake and its setup dirrection is not like any car setup. Itll work mind you but you wont be happy with its functionality.

Also, if you have an existing aluminum channel ford pi intake and need a replacement manifold but cant find the correct water channel like what your has, dont worry, the aluminum channels can unbolt and swap out.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I have the T-3650, already put a shifter on it. Think it was a August 2001 build but have to check when back from vacation.

That’s strange that it had an intake with the plastic coolant crossover on it. It certainly wasn’t built that way.

TRS666

Reaction score
Ordered the Ford intake from Steeda in September. They moved the delivery date 3 times to end of next month but yesterday they moved it to December 2024! So have to go to plan B and order the ATP greyworks intake.

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Maybe try the local salvage yard from a vic,lincoln,marquise? The intake was available all the way up to 2011 lincolns....IIRC.

TRS666

Reaction score
Maybe try the local salvage yard from a vic,lincoln,marquise? The intake was available all the way up to 2011 lincolns....IIRC.
No US made Fords were sold in Europe those years. Those few that are here, mostly Mustangs, are private import or expats moving home. There are 3 engines for sale in Sweden but they are only sold as complete, not parts.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
There are still vendors out there showing inventory and taking orders. Jegs is one that is circulating around the FB groups as "still having some". But they don't. They just list it as backorder and keep kicking the delivery date back. I think they are showing Feb now, but it was Jan up until recently. They don't have any. Production ended in July '23. ANy remaining stock has been bought up by folks who need them, or hoarders who want to flip them in a year or so for $1K. Sad but true.

If you dig around you might be able to find a few of the crown vic intakes. They just need the ECT drilled out or crossover tube swapped. Part number 9W7Z-9424-A. A few on ebay or you can order from a Ford parts distributor. Unsure if they will ship overseas.

I have seen a few guys pick those up recently, so still available although they are no longer being made. I guess word hasn't gotten out on them or folks balk at the price tag and try to buy one of the Jegs intakes for $312 and hope it shows up (it wont). I was reading a few posts today on FB and guys were still placing orders from them.

TRS666

Reaction score
There are still vendors out there showing inventory and taking orders. Jegs is one that is circulating around the FB groups as "still having some". But they don't. They just list it as backorder and keep kicking the delivery date back. I think they are showing Feb now, but it was Jan up until recently. They don't have any. Production ended in July '23. ANy remaining stock has been bought up by folks who need them, or hoarders who want to flip them in a year or so for $1K. Sad but true.

If you dig around you might be able to find a few of the crown vic intakes. They just need the ECT drilled out or crossover tube swapped. Part number 9W7Z-9424-A. A few on ebay or you can order from a Ford parts distributor. Unsure if they will ship overseas.

I have seen a few guys pick those up recently, so still available although they are no longer being made. I guess word hasn't gotten out on them or folks balk at the price tag and try to buy one of the Jegs intakes for $312 and hope it shows up (it wont). I was reading a few posts today on FB and guys were still placing orders from them.

Unfortunately the intake in my car, late 2001 production, is all plastic so i do not have a aluminium crossover to swap. As i understand these all plastic intakes were changed to alu crossover in a recall but probably my car was exported to Sweden before that recall was done.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Not all. My 2000 still had the plastic intake and when it failed it was swapped to a Dorman.

But you can just drill/tap for the ECT on the crown Vic/lincoln PI intake. The boss is there. There also a lower plenum insulator, but that can be removed.

IMG_7356.jpeg

TRS666

Reaction score
Not all. My 2000 still had the plastic intake and when it failed it was swapped to a Dorman.

But you can just drill/tap for the ECT on the crown Vic/lincoln PI intake. The boss is there. There also a lower plenum insulator, but that can be removed.

View attachment 31654
Ok, so the piping for heater hoses in the rear and alternator bracket mounts are the same?

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Correct. I have a used PI intake and compared it. Those are the only differences. EGR drill/tap and the insulation blanket under the manifold which can be removed. I can probably take some pics later on today as folks might like a visual of what I am referring to and a little more confidence that the intakes are the same before dropping $500+

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Here’s some more pics of the 9W7Z-9424-A manifold compared to a take-off ‘01-04 stock manifold.

Stock intake on left. My stock intake does have a broken wire loom tab at the rear center of the intake, so ignore that.
IMG_7357.jpeg
IMG_7359.jpeg

There is a foam insulator on the bottom of the Vic/Lincoln intake, which is why it looks different in the above pic. Also, the orange coloration around the coolant ports on the stock PI intake is because it's a used part, and that's staining from the coolant.

But it can be removed. Here’s with the insulator removed on the 9W7Z-9424-A manifold
IMG_7361.jpeg

with insulator removed.

IMG_7362.jpeg

They are the same. Same molding marks and features and such. No differences aside from the lack of drilled ECT port. The insulator can be removed so not really a difference. Forgive my lack of zooming in on specific areas because there’s really nothing to show other than the crossover.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online

No members online now.