JB's 98 Coupe Build Thread **Motor Plans 8-21-12**

OP
OP
J

JonBeast

Legend
Reaction score
Nice thanks for the info Greg...so looks like I'll be going with C-heads so I have more blower options.

MMR blocks are cast iron 04 cobra blocks...so yes, I'll essentially be piecing together a motor similar to an 03/04 cobra.

greenscobie86

Reaction score
Nice plans Jon.

Looks like a pretty nice list.

Have you given any thought to going the coyote route? I know people have done it but I don't know how much is involved... Might be cool though as you will be on the forefront once more.

jexey

Reaction score
Haha...I'm not 100% decided yet, but I'm definitely leaning 4V. Either way...I'll be tucking a lot of the same things in the bay...finished product will just be different.

4v 4v 4v 4v 4v 4v 4v 4v 4v 4v 4v 4v 4v 4v 4v 4v 4v 4v 4v 4v 4v 4v 4v 4v 4v 4v 4v 4v 4v 4v 4v 4v 4v 4v 4v 4v

Don't second guess that. There's a reason all the top builders out there think 4v and there's a reason ford used the 4v platform for their high performance motors. That being said, I'm a biased 2v guy but the only reason I defend the 2v motor is because i'm familiar with it and have more experience building them. Calling it better than a 4v because of that would be ignorant.

OP
OP
J

JonBeast

Legend
Reaction score
Nice plans Jon.

Looks like a pretty nice list.

Have you given any thought to going the coyote route? I know people have done it but I don't know how much is involved... Might be cool though as you will be on the forefront once more.
Thanks man...and yes I definitely have...my friend is actually doing a coyote swap in his 87 notch this winter...I still haven't completely decided on what direction I will go. Coyote, 4V, and built 2V are at the top of my list.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Id suggest you coat the 4Vwire covers to match your wheels.
Sweet mod list JB. Going to be a fun build.

Reaction score
You can get a KB on B's the just don't like that kind of boost as much. B heads flow better at the higher RPM where the turbos and centri's shine. So if you want a roots or twin screw go with the c heads. They are going to cost you more up front. I'm going turbo so I'm going to use a set of ported B's

OP
OP
J

JonBeast

Legend
Reaction score
Id suggest you coat the 4Vwire covers to match your wheels.
Sweet mod list JB. Going to be a fun build.
I'm thinking of matching the valve covers to the bronze that my eventual CCW's will be powdercoated.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
OP
OP
J

JonBeast

Legend
Reaction score
My suggestion would be a Coyote swap if your not staying 2V.

Now if you are gonna do a 4.6 based 4V (Term Copy) I would not play around with mix and match of Shortblocks//heads etc and go straight to Ford for a 4V Aluminator Long Block.

http://www.281motorsports.com/produ...d=735&osCsid=57ba29ac970e5fd357bbbec43bcd597c

Now a built Coyote Aluminator will be @ $1000 more and worth every penny IMO.
Coyote swap is definitely not out of the picture...but the point of this build is not to drop 6K-10K all at one time, I can take steps of 1k-2k here and there, but I can't justify the huge outlay.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
The ford racing aluminators are crap. I've had a alot of customers having problems with new crate motors after very few kms with conservative tunes. My one good friends kb'd aluminator termi when we took the motor apart it was missing a compression ring on cylinder number 7 and it didn't break or end up somewhere it clearly wasn't there from the get go. If ur getting a aluminator motor I'd get it from a reputable modular builder. Not ford ravings crate motor there not rated for nearly enough power anyways for the price

OP
OP
J

JonBeast

Legend
Reaction score
^^^ Interesting...and I'm sure as soon as you throw a blower on it, they will void your warranty and not cover their obvious manuf defects.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Oh yea they wouldn't cover warranty he was really disappointed and let down the build cost him close to 30k and was done at a ford dealer. Dyno tuned everything there by a very reputable tuner. When the warranty issues occurred he brought it to my shop and we ordered a MMR long block

the.greg

Reaction score
Id still suggest terminator+kenne bell/whipple rout because thats a very easy/time-proven way to get to 550ishrwhp.

But if your still in the planning phase, check this out http://shraderperformance.com/project-vehicles/brightmare-99/ Basically a foxlake heads, cammed, forged 2v @ 17psi on E85 and a s trim vortech. 697rwhp/855 on nitrous 2v, its local to me and runs mid 9's at 147 on nitrous.

The coyote swap is just very costly in my opinion, but if you have the cash its a great motor with super potential with a blower.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
95cobra5

Members online