Just installed PI cams.

atrainsgt

Reaction score
Well I just installed PI cams today and I am not pleased so far. Keep in mind I already had the PI intake. Anyway, so I installed the cams and took the car on a drive. It doesn't like to be at 1500rpms in 5th gear anymore, and the power gains seem minimal. Maybe 10hp if I think big. For those of you that have PI cams, did you get a tune afterward? Did you notice any real gains? Unless I can pick up quite a bit more power with a tune, I'm not feeling that they were worth the hassle. The car ran a 14.6 at 95mph with a crappy 2.2 60' two nights ago, so I have base number to compare to when I head back to the track. Hopefully my E.T.'s will improve. On a good note, it started up immediately when I turned the key, and had no leaks. The engine is a bit louder though than it was. Opinions?

Before you guys suggest more engine mods here is what I'm doing.
I'm building a teksid based 4v with 03 cobra heads, that I'm planning on supercharging, so power in my near future will not be an issue. For now, however, I was trying to get a bit more power out of what I have in the car currently. Thanks everyone

UPDATE: MAF sensor was unhooked. That should solve the problems.

OP
OP
A

atrainsgt

Reaction score
AaRoN said:
It's the PI intake and heads that do most of the power adding. Not the cams.

The PI intake and cams combo should be worth about half of what the full swap would be. I have the PI heads as well but I needed to have them resurfaced before I installed them. Then I ended up with the 4v parts and said forget it. Maybe I am just in need of a tune to get the most out of the car.

hottwheels04

Reaction score
ur not gonna gain much if ur using stock 99+ pi swap parts, just = power to a stock99+ gt but heads pi swap is higher compression on the 96-98 so u gain more, but they wont wakeu p until u use ported pi heads or aftermarket cams!

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
atrainsgt said:
AaRoN said:

The PI intake and cams combo should be worth about half of what the full swap would be. I have the PI heads as well but I needed to have them resurfaced before I installed them. Then I ended up with the 4v parts and said forget it. Maybe I am just in need of a tune to get the most out of the car.

Not quite. The cams really don't do a whole lot. You'll see about a ~35rwhp gain from a PI H/C/I. Doing just the heads and intake will get you about ~25rwhp or so. Get yourself some PI heads and then you'll notice quite a difference.

OP
OP
A

atrainsgt

Reaction score
AaRoN said:
atrainsgt said:
AaRoN said:

Not quite. The cams really don't do a whole lot. You'll see about a ~35rwhp gain from a PI H/C/I. Doing just the heads and intake will get you about ~25rwhp or so. Get yourself some PI heads and then you'll notice quite a difference.

I've never seen anyone get as little as 35rwhp from a complete PI swap h/c/i. I know a couple people personally that gained over 50hp from the full swap. We'll see what I can get after a tune. Hopefully this 2v will be out of the car in the next 4 months.

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
AaRoN said:

Incorrect. You gain the most power from the intake and the cams. The heads will only net another 10-15 HP. The cams and intake are where you see your most power from. At least that's what I've heard/read.

With the cams/intake you should see 35whp from what I've seen with the heads it should make 50ish with a good tune.

I already have the PI intake and was debating the cams (like adam aka atrain)

Adam, I suggest getting the car tuned and I believe you should see a difference.

adrift

Reaction score
wouldn't it be easier to do the whole pi swap at once rather than part by part?

OP
OP
A

atrainsgt

Reaction score
adrift said:

It certainly would be. Did you read my whole post? I'm not doing anything more on this engine. I'm building a 4v that will be done soon.

KB98GT

Reaction score
Is saw great gains from doing pi headsand intake. now mind you i have other mods done but pre pi swap i was at 195 RWHP after swap and tune i am at 265RWHP thats a 70 HP gain. well worth it in my book.

OP
OP
A

atrainsgt

Reaction score
98gt said:
Is saw great gains from doing pi headsand intake. now mind you i have other mods done but pre pi swap i was at 195 RWHP after swap and tune i am at 265RWHP thats a 70 HP gain. well worth it in my book.

That certainly is worth it. If I had those heads ready I would of went ahead and used them. Oh well I guess.

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
98gt said:

Do you have a stick or an auto?

I put down 190 (car is untuned and has CEL codes all over the place) on the dyno through an auto. I guess swapping to PI heads will wake the car up. I have a friend who wants to sell me an entire PI motor so I might go that route but if not, PI headswap is a must for me.

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
Nice. So you put down 265 through an auto with the PI swap. That's a nice jump. I have a friend that wants me to buy his PI GT engine for 700. I might go that route

adrift

Reaction score
atrainsgt said:
adrift said:

It certainly would be. Did you read my whole post? I'm not doing anything more on this engine. I'm building a 4v that will be done soon.

...hmm... okay.

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
Adam (atrain) is building a 4v setup but had he PI swap laying around so he threw the PI cams in for a little extra HP while he's working on the 4v.

Where did you get lost?

OP
OP
A

atrainsgt

Reaction score
Okay a little update. I was looking around in my engine bay and I just realized I never hooked up my MAF sensor. That would explain a lot of things, LoL! I must have been tired by the time I finished the install and overlooked it. Pics will be up soon.

OP
OP
A

atrainsgt

Reaction score
AaRoN said:
Never installed it?!...lol...How'd you keep that thing running?

I know, pathetic isn't it. It actually never died on me. It almost did a couple times in reverse but nothing serious. I just figured my IAC was acting up again. I had both sensors on the air intake unplugged! Hopefully now my issues are fixed. I'll test drive within the hour.

KB98GT

Reaction score
Besides the PI heads and intake i have a anderson power pipe, BBK upper plenum 70mm TB and a kick ass tune.
my96gtstang said:
Nice. So you put down 265 through an auto with the PI swap. That's a nice jump. I have a friend that wants me to buy his PI GT engine for 700. I might go that route

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online

No members online now.