Just installed PI cams.

OP
OP
A

atrainsgt

Reaction score
I redid my timing today and it feels a lot better than it did. I am 100% positive that it is correct now. I took pictures of both sides this time to ease my mind in case there were any problems whatsoever afterward. It chirps 3rd gear now so it's definitely a little more powerful.

Tbuck07

Reaction score
I would never have thought if the car was a tooth off on timing it would run..that or would really change the shape of your internals. Hmm.

Willis_98GT

Reaction score
atrainsgt said:
So this mess continues. I didn't think to check the part numbers on these cams since I pulled them from PI heads, but now I am thinking something is not right. I remember glancing at the part number on the cams and thinking that's awful close to my NPI cam part numbers but since it was different I dismissed it without giving it another thought until now. Based off of my memory the new cams part numbers started off with an F. If I am correct, I think those are NPI cams, possibly truck cams if those are any different. I will pull my valve covers off tomorrow to find out for sure. Any of you have a source for checking part numbers?

its in the very middle of the cam, pull your fuel pump safety switch and have a buddy bump the starter while your looking at the cams, should be right above the middle journal (Bridge support looking piece)

OP
OP
A

atrainsgt

Reaction score
I just got home from the dyno. I shouldn't have taken a 30 mile trip right before the dyno run either! Anyways it made 219hp and 264tq, on my first and only run. Unfortunately I only got to make one run because I broke a shift fork or something. I no longer have 3rd or 4th gear! So I have to pull the trans and put in my spare t45.

LI98GT

Reaction score
atrainsgt said:
I just got home from the dyno. I shouldn't have taken a 30 mile trip right before the dyno run either! Anyways it made 219hp and 264tq, on my first and only run. Unfortunately I only got to make one run because I broke a shift fork or something. I no longer have 3rd or 4th gear! So I have to pull the trans and put in my spare t45.

OK, so it sound like you got it going right (minus the T-45, but good deal on the back up one). Nice numbers. Mine made 10 more with a catted x pipe and pulleys on a different dyno of course, so while we can't directly compare the dyno runs, it sounds like it's running right. Now go get em at the track (once you change out T45!).

OP
OP
A

atrainsgt

Reaction score
So my numbers probably aren't that bad. The x-pipe you have should worth a few hp and so should the pulleys. On the transmission I blew up the t3650 I had in my car, so I actually had to put my stock t45 back in it.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah the midpipe can be a 10hp difference by itself and UD's can be another 3-5 so you are where you should be.

OP
OP
A

atrainsgt

Reaction score
I had my first real test at the track tonight since cams. Best I could do before cams was 14.66 @ 95mph 2.2 60'. Tonight I ran a 14.23 @ 95mph 1.98 60'. So I gained about 2 tenths off of cams alone if you don't count my quicker 60'. The car can definitely run 13's with a better 60'.

95PGTTech

Reaction score
Your gain was completely due to the 60'. MPH is a great measure of power gained, you gained absolutely nothing. You gained 2 tenths in the sixty foot. Every tenth gained in 60' is worth 2 tenths in ET.

So sorry bud, you picked up absolutely nothing.

OP
OP
A

atrainsgt

Reaction score
It went 14.1 today with the same 60'. It's getting better. I have trapped over 96mph since the cams but the 60' was slower.

95PGTTech

Reaction score
a cam swap should gain you a lot more than 1mph. a slower 60 is also going to usually result in a higher mph.

OP
OP
A

atrainsgt

Reaction score
Probably just my driving. I wasn't expecting much from these cams. Stock cams aren't going to give huge gains.

built454

Reaction score
Any cams you install they NEED to be degreed. If not you are waisting your time. You'll never feel your full effort of the work you put in. Do it right the first time, take your time, and don't be in a rush. Degreeing cams is essential for the most power to be found.

OP
OP
A

atrainsgt

Reaction score
It's a waste of time degreeing these cams IMO. If you think its worth the time and hassle, that's your opinion. With aftermarket cams, I agree its worth it. On stock cams, it's not. This is a temporary setup anyway.

built454

Reaction score
I agree aftermarkets with higher lifts need to be degreed especially when you can have PTV issues. I'm just saying that if you want the most performance out of a stock cam, degree it. There is a difference.

OP
OP
A

atrainsgt

Reaction score
I have no doubt that it would be make a little more power, it's just not worth it to me on a stock cam.

95PGTTech

Reaction score
built454 said:
Any cams you install they NEED to be degreed. If not you are waisting your time. You'll never feel your full effort of the work you put in. Do it right the first time, take your time, and don't be in a rush. Degreeing cams is essential for the most power to be found.

Said that awhile back and he just blew me off since he knows everything with his proven zero track gains. I'm sure he won't listen to this either, but when I asked na svt and Nazty Performance on SVTPerf about where to degree my stock 98 Cobra cams, they both said they've seen 12-15rwhp gains from just a few degree adjustment out of these stock cams. They have both put together a lot more N/A 4.6L combinations than probably this entire thread's participants combined. While this is 2V stuff, there are still gains there to be had.

OP
OP
A

atrainsgt

Reaction score
I never said I knew it all, or that there wouldn't be gains. You need to get off your high horse and quit acting like you know everything you are talking about. I acknowledged that there probably would be gains. I will be degreeing my 4v cams.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peasant99

Members online