Looking to buy a Cobra Convertible, a bit conflicted on what year to get.

Reaction score
No worries, you didnt take it over lol. We are on the same subject lol. That gray '01 is pretty much what I want. Not too much into the grey color though.

This '01 looks great, the grille looks odd though, doesn't look like factory...
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/ctd/5582600835.html

There are so many more '99 verts out there though lol

that one white procharged vert is straight up unfffff, guy is asking 10k for it

also no its not factory thats aftermarket but can easily be removed

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
I just bought a nice 97 Crystal white convertible with a black top and black leather interior a few months ago.

I would have liked a new edge but they were more than I wanted to spend.

I looked on Craigslist for months all over the western US to get an idea of prices.

My car has 127,000 on it and the seats are dry but it's one owner and in really good condition otherwise.

I have alot of parts to swap from another car so my plan is to build the car I want. In stock form it's not awesome.

OP
OP

4.6Stangrage

Reaction score
Its Kind of a bummer but I have done some searching and I cant seem to find many '01 cobras out there. They also seem to be out of my budget. I am going to really shoot for one of those, but I may end up with a '99.

Reaction score
Its Kind of a bummer but I have done some searching and I cant seem to find many '01 cobras out there. They also seem to be out of my budget. I am going to really shoot for one of those, but I may end up with a '99.

youll find something if youre patient enough. or you can find one thats not in the best shape for less and then build it up a bit. i know you want it to be kind of a plug and play situation but hey you gotta make due sometimes

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

The stuff about the underrated power was due to an intake and exhaust issue, which was fixed during recalls on the early cars. The remainder of the cars were fixed before being shipped to the dealers. Aside from that, what are the main differences? Seats that were only available for the 2001 model year, that weren't that great anyway... and the "upgraded" interior that was standard in all SN95 starting in 2001... revised center console, double din radio??? Oh, and a rear bumper cover that said "cobra" rather than "mustang." Honestly, I'd rather have the 99 because it came with the aluminum teksid block, which only a certain (presumably small) number of 2001s came with before they switched over to the WAP block. I've been more than pleased with my 99. Throw on a power adder, upgrade to 03/04 cobra seats, swap out the interior trim prices and you're good to go.

OP
OP

4.6Stangrage

Reaction score
The stuff about the underrated power was due to an intake and exhaust issue, which was fixed during recalls on the early cars. The remainder of the cars were fixed before being shipped to the dealers. Aside from that, what are the main differences? Seats that were only available for the 2001 model year, that weren't that great anyway... and the "upgraded" interior that was standard in all SN95 starting in 2001... revised center console, double din radio??? Oh, and a rear bumper cover that said "cobra" rather than "mustang." Honestly, I'd rather have the 99 because it came with the aluminum teksid block, which only a certain (presumably small) number of 2001s came with before they switched over to the WAP block. I've been more than pleased with my 99. Throw on a power adder, upgrade to 03/04 cobra seats, swap out the interior trim prices and you're good to go.

This is something I was thinking about. From my knowledge, the rear differential is different as well. Not a big deal to me. My main question was the differences between the 96-98 and the '99. I would like to upgrade the engine eventually but again, I want this to be a good runner as stock for a couple years as I work on getting my other project on the road.

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
This is something I was thinking about. From my knowledge, the rear differential is different as well. Not a big deal to me. My main question was the differences between the 96-98 and the '99. I would like to upgrade the engine eventually but again, I want this to be a good runner as stock for a couple years as I work on getting my other project on the road.

Steer clear of any B-head anything... the cylinder filling capability of the 96-98 cobras just plain suck.

DKblue98GT

Reaction score

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
My mom has an '01 Red convert with 27k miles. In the garage, Its been sitting in the same spot for the last 5yrs. Id imagine itll be in the same spot for the next 5yrs. She has made claims to give it to me. IDK... but I would not sell it for less than $18k

OP
OP

4.6Stangrage

Reaction score
My mom has an '01 Red convert with 27k miles. In the garage, Its been sitting in the same spot for the last 5yrs. Id imagine itll be in the same spot for the next 5yrs. She has made claims to give it to me. IDK... but I would not sell it for less than $18k

To be honest, I would be just fine with something like this. Its the pretty much the right price. Sure, it has 121k but these engines can last a while. I wouldnt even be putting a great deal of miles on it. http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/ctd/5577014334.html

Reaction score
Yeah I am hoping I get enough money for something like this. If I do, I am going to have to learn how to drive a lowered car lol

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/5586187202.html

holy sheet thats low!!! thats like... uncomfortably low...

also that one for 8900 is ASKING. so you can get it for cheaper than that too. do your research and go by kbb/autotrader/blackbook/nada/edmunds/etc. values. theyll all average out to be similar. also remember that since thats at a dealer that you have about an extra 10% on top of that which you need to pay (roughly 9800).

dont pay more than 8200 OTD (roughly 7400 + tax and fees). especially if youre a buy now, cash in hand type of person and if you know theses cars well enough you can get this car for roughly your budget.

OP
OP

4.6Stangrage

Reaction score
Yeah I am going to find several down in that area before I head down. I will check out the ones I want the most, and I will test drive the shit out the car and do a complete inspection before I buy any of them

Lanter

Reaction score
That's a great price on an 01. Honestly if I hadn't got my '98 so long ago that it's got to much sentimental value to get rid of an 01 would be the car for me. You can't beat the 99-01 bumper and the double din radio and IRS are great improvements. Of course now my '98 has an IRS and magnum so its as close to the 03 cobra as it can get but with the looks of the 98 (which I prefer to the 03 but its a toss up between the 94-98 and 99-01).

OP
OP

4.6Stangrage

Reaction score
That's a great price on an 01. Honestly if I hadn't got my '98 so long ago that it's got to much sentimental value to get rid of an 01 would be the car for me. You can't beat the 99-01 bumper and the double din radio and IRS are great improvements. Of course now my '98 has an IRS and magnum so its as close to the 03 cobra as it can get but with the looks of the 98 (which I prefer to the 03 but its a toss up between the 94-98 and 99-01).

Oh yeah 03/04 would be my choice even before this posting. I think those are one of the best mustangs of all time.

OP
OP

4.6Stangrage

Reaction score
youll find something if youre patient enough. or you can find one thats not in the best shape for less and then build it up a bit. i know you want it to be kind of a plug and play situation but hey you gotta make due sometimes

Dude, check this haha. I am not a big fan of what has been done to this cobra. I would have to go with an original bumper or an terminator bumper. I am not sure about those seats either. not a big fan of the cragar style rims either. all of this stuff can definitely be changed pretty easily.
http://fresno.craigslist.org/cto/5612418691.html

Reaction score
Yea I saw that one. It's salvage title though. I actually like the roush bumper. It's what I would go with if I couldn't find a 99 01 bumper if I got a new edge. You could get some nice money back for the 03 cobra spoiler though

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online