Low buck 90 LX build a.k.a. project keep the SN95 daily driver friendly

BigTang

Reaction score
So I picked up a pretty clean 90 LX w/ some slight mechanical issues.
I've mostly been picking up parts and cleaning things up.
So far I've got 4.10's, compucam 2031, 1.7 cobra rockers, GMS k-member, a arms, coil overs, 7qt canton pan, Corbeau Forza, summit uppers and lowers, tyhoon intake, 65mm TB, long tubes and an extra short block.
The plan is to see if I can put this car in the 11's and keep the AC. If it won't do it on motor i'll just pill it til i kill it.
The short block is at the machine shop being freshened up, the trans is a recent rebuild and i'm trying to decide on what stall to get, probably in the 3000-3600 range. I still need to pick up some heads, I had some GT40Ps but decided I wanted to go bigger.
All of this is going to be done w/ a stock appearing car from the outside, no big and littles, no huge cowl, etc.

I'm not exactly happy w/ the quality of the typhoon intake but w/ about 2 hrs of grinding/polishing I've cleaned up the runners. The aluminum is very soft and it has a few holes that are trying to strip or are stripped(bought it used) so I've being good friends w/ a tap and some helicoils.

DSCF5011.jpg

DSCF4990.jpg

DSCF4956.jpg

DSCF4986.jpg

DSCF4957.jpg

DSCF4962.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

DSCF4964.jpg

BlkoutGT

Reaction score
That fox is pretty clean, looks like you got a good deal. What were the mechanical issues?

OP
OP
B

BigTang

Reaction score
Its a lot of minor stuff.
The heater isn't hooked up, the oil pressure gage sending unit was bad and showing about 1/2 of the actual pressure, the oil pump is probably weak or full of crap so i flushed it out 3 qts cheap oil, 1 qt marvel fluid 1 quart motor flush let it idle for 5 mins and i've got decent pressure now, worst case i messed up a motor that was on its way out. trans shifted funny because the TV cable wasn't hooked up right, fouled plugs, nasty water in the radiator, etc.

I sold the GT40Ps and now i've got some edelbrocks which should be fine for my goals. They are heavily ported w/ better valves and springs. I need to sell my cobra rockers and pick up a set of stud mounts.

I removed the sound deading from behind all the panels today, pulled the rear bumper bar, started scraping off the sound deadener, mounted my corbeau correctly and finished porting the Typhoid intake. did i mention don't buy a typhoon intake? just looking at it makes the holes strip out. Gasket matched the upper and lower, knife edged the upper runners, polished smooth all of the runners and opened up the lower to just a hair smaller than my intake gaskets. I've got right at 3 hours invested in the intake so far, including tapping 2 holes, helicoiling 1 and degreasing. it was used and the price was decent so its worth the labor. Next is powdercoating the valve covers and intake and I'm going to see how that goes.

Hoseitdown

Reaction score
man, id give my eye teeth for that damn car... loooks DAMN good.

OP
OP
B

BigTang

Reaction score
Thanks. I got tired of building stuff that needed paint and mechanical stuff, the car is a pretty sound platform. I've got enough parts laying on the bench to keep me busy for many weekends to come. Next on the list to buy is a rear anti-roll bar like the wolfe racecraft. I really want to push the suspension set up aspect to see how fast i can go w/ a well set up lightweight car. Under the hood should look pretty intimidating once its done. I got my canton oil pan in yesterday and the k member kit should be here by friday. I wish i could trust the stock block thats in there because i'd just throw my cam/heads/intake on that and let it eat but i'm iffy on it.

any suggestions on a good stall and transbrake set up for the AOD? after a few launches i figure i'll be asking some axle questions, lol.

BlkoutGT

Reaction score
Thats cool, so you basically took care of all the "issues" with the rebuild anyway. good deal.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
That's going to be a nice grocery getter :) That thing will move out. Good job so far keep us updated.

OP
OP
B

BigTang

Reaction score
Hopefully its quick enough. I picked up a set of Trickflow 1.7 rockers I'm wondering what valvecovers I'll need to fit these.

OP
OP
B

BigTang

Reaction score
Thanks, i really like the grey & titanium colors on these hatches.
got my heads in:
DSCF5051.jpg

DSCF5058.jpg

and almost everything is in the car now:
DSCF5059.jpg

And since we all know nothing is ever fast enough...
DSCF5098.jpg

I'll let him install it since he can hide the lines in those hard to reach places.

OP
OP
B

BigTang

Reaction score
Back from the dead....I made car of the month on the local site w/ this thing, figured I'd put some updated pics up.

Owner name : Carey R.
User name: BigTang
Year : 1990
Model : LX
Color : Gray
Motor size and mods :
Rebuilt forged piston 5.0, ARP main studs, Z304 heads, Victor 5.0 intake, 75mm throttle body, 1 7/8" Kooks headers, MSD distributor, Canton 7qt pan, Mac windage tray, stock HO cam set 2* retarded, NOS 5115 dry kit 150 shot, Venom 30# injectors, PMAS 75mm MAF, C&L inlet tube
RWHP :
unknown, est somewhere between 50 and 650.
Tires and wheels :
15 x 3.5 & 15 x 10 Greg Weld Racelites w/ 275/60-15 Nitto Drag Radials
Interior upgrades :
Maximum Motorsports 6 pt cage with swing out door bars, Autometer Gage-Cage, Autometer temp, oil & fuel psi gages. B&M Hammer shifter. Removed all sound deadening material. Otherwise stock appearing
Other accessories :
GMS K member kit with coilovers, caster/camber plates and Strange 10 way struts.
Baseline chromoly lower control arms, Comp engineering 3 way shocks, tubular upper control arms.
GMS rear end girdle & 4.10 gears.
BBK subframe connectors
Removed rear bumper support
Boss Inc, 3" cowl hood
FMS aluminum driveshaft
C4 w/ TCI manual valve body
UPR antiroll bar

What part of town you're in : Katy

Brief bio of car ? Picked up the car from an ad on Westside stating it needed "the crank turned". Had it delivered to the house and unloaded it off the trailer. 5 mins later I was doing a burn out on the driveway and drove it around the block. What the ad should have stated was that there were 3 head bolts broken in the block and the guy had RTV'ed the bolt heads into the holes. The car sat for 2 years in the garage while I worked on it. Over that time it had an A-trim, 3 different sets of heads(GT-40P, Edelbrock Performers and the Z304s that are on it now) and several cams looking for the right combination of streetable idle and power.
I'm pretty sure that I've dealt with most all of the active members on here while building this car. Thank you guys for all the help.

Brief bio of self ?I grew up building Chevy's with my dad and was heavy into the sport truck scene. I started getting into Mustangs a few years after high school but never had time or a place to work on one of my own so I mostly worked on my friend's. I think I've gone as far as I can with this one due to my work schedule which keeps me busy 6-7 days a week.

DSC00321.jpg

DSC00331.jpg

DSC00320.jpg

DSC00326.jpg

DSC00678-1.jpg

5.0kid

Reaction score
lookin good! different setup than before, but looks even better. you still have the bab and 67 in ur sig?

OP
OP
B

BigTang

Reaction score
Actually the '67 and the '98 replaced the '90. I just sold the LX right after I submitted pictures for car of the month. Had too many projects going but I miss it like crazy. I learned a lot working on that car. I replaced everything but the steering wheel at some point.

here's the '67, just replaced the floor pans and i'm working on building the L33 for it w/ a TH400 and trying to come up w/ a suspension setup at the same time.
df753694.jpg

5.0kid

Reaction score
BigTang said:
Actually the '67 and the '98 replaced the '90. I just sold the LX right after I submitted pictures for car of the month. Had too many projects going but I miss it like crazy. I learned a lot working on that car. I replaced everything but the steering wheel at some point.

here's the '67, just replaced the floor pans and i'm working on building the L33 for it w/ a TH400 and trying to come up w/ a suspension setup at the same time.
df753694.jpg

looks good, sound like a pretty cool plan you have for the 67! wish i had the space and experience to do metalwork. i've been learning a lot with my car like you did with yours. so easy to work on those 5.0s!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RevJon

Members online