Lunar Shadow '93 Coupe (non-SN95)

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Man, those capacitors are known problems with these Ford computers. Ive repaired 3 or 4 of them for my F150 buddies. Check the values on those caps and let me know. I might have a set left. I know the trucks take some odd value caps that arent easily found without paying a bunch of money for shipping.

OP
OP
RedTwilight

RedTwilight

Reaction score
Man, those capacitors are known problems with these Ford computers. Ive repaired 3 or 4 of them for my F150 buddies. Check the values on those caps and let me know. I might have a set left. I know the trucks take some odd value caps that arent easily found without paying a bunch of money for shipping.

Thanks!
I need (2) = 47uf 16v, and (One) = 10uf 63v

If you have any let me know how much you want for them!

Thanks again!

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
In other words, I have what you need lol. How familiar are you with soldering on a board? Pm me your address again and Ill get them sent out to you. I dont need anything for them. These are the same ones that Ive replaced on the f150 computers.

OP
OP
RedTwilight

RedTwilight

Reaction score
In other words, I have what you need lol. How familiar are you with soldering on a board? Pm me your address again and Ill get them sent out to you. I dont need anything for them. These are the same ones that Ive replaced on the f150 computers.

PM sent.

I've done a little soldering here and there on my RC aircraft. Worse that can happen is I'll have to use it for a core exchange on a new one.

Thanks

OP
OP
RedTwilight

RedTwilight

Reaction score
Last weekend 2-10-2018 I got the transmission back in the car.

And this past Friday I finished buttoning everything up underneath the car with re-installation of the driveshaft and exhaust.
Now to just adjust the clutch once I can get it running.

In the attempt to get the car running I replaced the corroded capacitors in the EEC.

Got it back in the car and tried it out. Nope! Still doing the same no start and continuous running of the fuel pump.

I may end up buying a new EEC. I did pull the computer back out to check it over again. I found what looked to be a circuit that was slightly corroded at one of the capacitors terminals. I'm going to clean it good and add a dab of solder. Then I'll reinstall and try it once more.
If that doesn't work, then a new or refurbished EEC it will be.

OP
OP
RedTwilight

RedTwilight

Reaction score
I made a little progress on the EEC. I added a couple blobs of solder to the traces that looked broken at one of the capacitors and reinstalled in the car.
This time the fuel pump cycled on normally for 2 seconds in stead of continuously running. When I went to crank it, it actually hit and tried to fire.

I pulled the PIP spout from the TFI harness and try it again. This time it runs with the spout out. But as soon as I reinstall the spout it shuts off. I did try another spout we had laying around and no change.
I'm going to redo the soldering to reconnect the traces and check the other capacitors with the multi-meter and try it again.

Not were I wanted but it's getting closer.
If I can't get it repaired myself my only option might be to send the EEC off somewhere to get repaired. It's looking like there are no re-manufactured ones available at the moment.

OP
OP
RedTwilight

RedTwilight

Reaction score
Cough...stand-alone.....cough....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I had the money and moar engine then a MegaSquirt would be very tempting! But I'm still running the stock long block. So a stand alone would only do me good in the future.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If I had the money and moar engine then a MegaSquirt would be very tempting! But I'm still running the stock long block. So a stand alone would only do me good in the future.

This in the biz is what we call future proofing and eliminating the current problems.

2 stones, 1 catfish my friend!!! ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
RedTwilight

RedTwilight

Reaction score
70bf5f017837cd89b7dbcfeb1a0c8d6e8d2d72d931e63a762a  6aac0bd12f7498.jpg

[video=youtube_share;ZTmf3LJQE-Y]https://youtu.be/ZTmf3LJQE-Y[/video]

Fixed the broken trace and it fired right up!
I even got the front coil-over springs switched out for the next weight range up.
Now to get a few miles on the clutch and it'll be ready for the track!

Last edited:
OP
OP
RedTwilight

RedTwilight

Reaction score
Well the weather was absolutely gorgeous for a full weekend of racing at Roxboro Motorsports Park 59th Annual Easter Bash. My dad, brother, and I were all there to race. But my brother was having some transmission troubles on Friday night test and tune, and decided not to run in the main bracket races.

Us three next to my dads '82

My brothers '90 and my '93 in the pits!

On Saturdays (March 31, 2018) Race I ran a new best of 8.37 at 80mph with a 1.7441 60ft time. But I went out in the first round after breaking out by .0001! Yes that is correct... I went .0001 too fast against my dial-in number.

During Sundays event we only got one time run. I didn't get a full pass as the shifter handle broke during the 1 - 2 shift. But I did get a new best 60ft time of 1.71.

Luckily I had another handle with me so I could continue. I proceeded to go to the 4th round in which I believe driver error happened and I just couldn't run the numbers and was eliminated. But I did win a little money for winning the 3rd round of competition. Basically just go my entrance fee back. But that's good enough for me. Overall a great weekend!

Last edited:
OP
OP
RedTwilight

RedTwilight

Reaction score
Got a few more pieces to the puzzle for the 5 lug Cobra 4 wheel disc conversion.

Found a decent deal on a slightly used (only 60 miles) '93 Cobra brake booster and master cylinder.

Also included in the deal were m/c to proportioning block lines for 86 and earlier Mustangs. I probably will end up letting them go.

And I got a package in from Maximum Motorsports full of more brake lines.
Included are the braided front soft lines for Fox to SN95 calipers, Wilwood proportioning valve, master cylinder to stock prop. valve hard lines, and stock proportioning valve eliminator fittings.
Also pictured are spacers for the Fox ball joint to SN95 spindle.

Also on order is the rear hard lines and braided flex lines for Fox to SN95 calipers.

OP
OP
RedTwilight

RedTwilight

Reaction score
A little update as to what's been going on the past few months.

I picked up a used Holley Systemax II intake with 1" spacer for only $300.00. I don't really need it at this moment, but for the price I went ahead a pulled the trigger. At least I'll already have a decent intake for when I start to build the engine.

I was also having problems with the cheap clutch cable firewall adjuster loosening and the cable getting slack.
So I ordered a McCleod quik-click firewall adjuster.

The red anodizing will clash with the color I plan to paint the coupe, so I took some Easy-Off oven cleaner and stripped the coating.

A quick polish to get the bare aluminum looking a little better.

I've also never really happy with the clutch adjustment and feel. So also ordered is a Steeda quick ratio quadrant to replace the cheapo double hook piece that is currently installed.

Nice sunset pic.

The race season is done for the year other than a few test-n-tunes. So I swapped the street wheels/tires back on.

Been just driving it and enjoying. I even took it to Foxtoberfest this year.

I did buy a couple of interior trim pieces while there to replace a couple of the old, faded, and/or cracked pieces.

Foxtoberfest 2018 (412 Foxes in one place!)

I hope to be able to get the 5'lug Cobra Brake swap done over winter or early spring. But I also want to turn some of my attention to my '96 Cobra. It's badly in need of some TLC.

OP
OP
RedTwilight

RedTwilight

Reaction score
I ordered some new domed wheel center cap decals from Tom Clark (aka sinisbuilt) for the wheels that I will be running after the 5 lug swap.

One set is for the Racestar drag wheels and the other set is for replica polished '03-'04 Cobra wheels for the street.

Well I took advantage of the Black Friday / Cyber Monday deals and got a few more items for the 5 lug swap.

First were the Strange Engineering Hy-Tuf race axles in Fox width with the 2.78" brake rotor register and 5x4.5" lug pattern 1/2"-20 x 3" drive studs. I also got new C-clip eliminators to go with them.

Next was 2 - polished 15x8 Racestar wheels for the rear during the track sessions. I had gotten the matching 17x4.5 fronts back in the summer.

Introducing the "Punishstars"

I also got a Hurst line-loc kit and a pair of '93 Cobra parking brake cables.

Just a few items left to get and I'll have everything for the 4 wheel Cobra disc 5-lug swap.

Guess I'd better get started cleaning, painting, and rebuilding the calipers so the will be ready to go.

OP
OP
RedTwilight

RedTwilight

Reaction score
Time for a little update.

Back in March I had an occurrence that involved a deer and my '93 trying to occupy the same space at the same time.

I had to replace a heater core in a '98 Dodge Durango before I could get started on repairing the coupe.
I finally got around to pulling the car in the shop about 3 weeks ago.
Pulled the fenders to assess the damage.

The radiator core support was heavily damaged and the decision was made to cut it out and replace it. Luckily my brother had a parts car with a straight core support.

Moved the coupe down the hill to my dad's shop so the welder could be utilized and got the straight core support welded on.

Hit the welds with a little paint to prevent corrosion and then bolted the front bumper back on and hung the fenders.

We had a few extra front bumper covers laying around. So I choose the best cover and the best header panel and installed the header panel into the good bumper cover. Then I was able to bolt the new clear headlights in the bumper cover and bolted it to the car.
All the panels were then adjusted and aligned. Moved it back to my little shed to finish up the rest of the stuff.

Surprisingly all the body panels aligned much better than before the deer incident.

All that is left is to replace the broken hood latches, drop in the radiator, electric fan, and battery. Then I can change the oil, spark plugs, and swap to the drag wheel and tire setup just in time for the annual Easter Race at the local drag strip.

And in case you were wondering why we had to move my car back to my little shed...

for this.

A '95 GTS roller he purchased last year. He is busy trying to get a 351w and powerglide ready to drop into it.
Then we will have 3 cars ready to go to the track this weekend. Dad's '82 coupe and the '95 and my '93 coupe.

OP
OP
RedTwilight

RedTwilight

Reaction score
It's been a little while since I've last logged on.
There have been a few changes done to my '93 in that time period.

So with little ado; let's pick up where things left off.

Ordered some of the final pieces needed for the 5 lug Cobra brake swap.

49642821093_b1472d22c5_o.jpg

Swapped the alternator to a 130amp 3g unit.

49643347416_b26b4fd530_o.jpg
49656420083_3face35272_o.jpg

Then I swapped the fuel injectors, rails, lines, and regulator.

49772509613_019de94523_o.jpg
49827152302_4db94b33c1_o.jpg

Also while the intake was off, I took a little time to spray paint it and the valve covers.

49826303393_527fa91311_o.jpg

49826303243_d321dccb7d_o.jpg

49854879592_8e422b2ba9_o.jpg

49854578086_a1c85eb782_o.jpg

The intake plaque was painted before going back on also. And I topped it off with a new oil fill cap.

49908849488_ce3fe6c409_o.jpg

After all this was done, my attention was turned to the exhaust. In an attempt to take care of the exhaust leak once and for all, I pulled the entire exhaust including the longtube headers. This was so much easier with the tubular K-member over the factory K.

At this time I also ground out the excess weld on the inside of the tubes at the header flange and cleaned any remaining gasket material from the flange.
Then I cleaned the dirt and dust off and sprayed them with a couple coats of VHT Silver Ceramic header paint.

Before and after.

49928370247_f150f9352c_o.jpg

All sprayed and looking much better!

49928366607_a8661ce7af_o.jpg

And finally time to re-install the headers with new gaskets and ARP header bolts.

49937836127_91cf51f2db_o.jpg

New Spintech Pro-Street 9000 to replace the MAC system.

49959933962_265561cae7_o.jpg

49983669643_823063a588_o.jpg

49983669753_939894269a_o.jpg

Here's a little sound clip of the Spintech Pro Street 9000 exhaust.

49984211411_aa487caf45_o.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online