Mark 8 shortblock.

Torrbo916

Reaction score
So I came acrossed a deal on a bottom end from a 98 mark8 with 70k on it($100). It's aluminum. Is this worth the time and effort to tear down and re assemble for my gt. What are the pros and cons. Any common issues with the aluminum block. Would I be able to use termi heads and an 03 timing set on this. Is everything pretty solid on these as well. please help.

Mystic SVT

Reaction score
Mark VIII motors use the same teksid block as 96-99 cobras, this block will handle up to 1500hp. The crank is the same as a gt crank, its cast not forged like the cobra piece. If you're looking to rebuild it then yes its def worth it for $100, you'll end up with a lighter block. Then internals on the mark viii are basically the same as a gt so you won't gain anything there.

Any 4.6 block will accept 4V heads and timing gear.

massacre

Reaction score
You can use the Terminator heads but like I told you on corral(assuming it was you), the timing chain guides(non-fixed) between the two motors are different. If you want to use the Terminator timing set, everything else will work but the curved guides attach to the block differently. Teksid uses a bolt/bearing arrangement, while the '03 uses a pivot pin arrangement. You can just buy the pins and thread them into the block and use all the '03 stuff.

Make sure to use the correct crank gear/trigger wheel arrangement also. Thick gear/thin wheel, or thin gear/thick wheel. Thick gear and thick wheel will not fit behind the timing cover.

'98 MarkVIII should have the hi-flo oil pump, so you're good to go with that. The early Marks had a lo-flo pump that wasn't up to snuff. You'll have to make sure to use the Cobra pickup tube, the GT tube is too small and you will have a huge oil leak from the tube to the oil pump, not good. Not sure if the Cobra pickup tube fits the GT pan, you might need a Cobra oil pan also.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
buy it. whether or not you use it is not important. I spent $300.00 on a damaged teksid and was pleased with the "deal."

to get the block and rotating assembly for $100.00 is a fantastic deal. go for it. if you change your mind, you can sell the block for $200.00 profit and the internals for $75.00.. . .. . :-D