McCloud's 5.3L Turbo 2v build

McCloud

Reaction score
I haven't been on here in awhile so I thought I'd update you all on my current build. I had pretty much maxxed out the current NA combo so I decided I wanted to do a turbo build while I'm in Iraq. The car already has a built rear end and transmission in it so the first thing was to replace the 150k shortblock with something a little more stout.

The new engine combo consists of:

Boss 5.0 block (shipped)
Boss502.jpg

Billet big bore/stroker assembly from Cushman Motorsports (shipped)
Crank.jpg

Rod.jpg

Piston.jpg

Trick Flow 44cc heads
Stage III turbo cams from CMS
Trick Flow intake
BBK tuned length ceramic coated shorties
60lb injectors (shipped)
SCT MAS (shipped)

OP
OP
McCloud

McCloud

Reaction score
Re: McCloud's 5.3L Turbo 2v

Motor is already out of the car and the new fuel system is almost completely mounted up.
empty2.jpg

I'm running an Aeromotive A1000 pump, filters, and FPR. I also have a Glenn's Performance Sumped Tank with a -10an feed and -6an return line.
A1000.jpg

fueltank.jpg

Now that the rotating assembly is here, the block is off to the machine shop. I've already ordered ARP main and head studs so they should be here in a few days.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Re: McCloud's Big Bore/Stroker Build

Sounds like you have a well thought out project, very nice!!

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

that should kick ass!

5.0kid

Reaction score

can't wait to see some more build pics! looks like a very well thought out project!

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score

very nice project.
should be fun once is done.

OP
OP
McCloud

McCloud

Reaction score

Thanks for the comments guys! It is definitely my motivation while I'm over here. Lord willing I have enough funds left after the motor build, I will be able to get the Hellion single 76mm BB kit. I'm also having some cosmetic mods done to the car when I get back. The paint job that is on the car now has some severe flaws and is starting to flake and crack and certain parts I bought I don't like how they fit. I'm putting on an OEM cobra bumper, Kaenan s281 spoiler, Cervini's RR hood, 94 fender moldings, and 18x9/10 hypercoated Saleens. Then I'll get the car painted back the same scheme I have now, except with the mirrors painted as well.

OP
OP
McCloud

McCloud

Reaction score

44cc Trick Flow heads, Trick Flow intake, and CMS Stage 3 Turbo Cams ordered today!

1996mustangGT

Reaction score

Awesome build man!!

Much respect for serving oversea's as well.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score

Make sure the machine shop doesn't machine the block without your ARP head and main studs installed!!! Changing the fasteners will alter how the clamping force is applied to the main caps and heads (or in this case probably the torque plates) which will change your clearances. If they do it without the fasteners that will be used in the final motor, they'll have to re-do it with the correct ones.

Cool build. :)

OP
OP
McCloud

McCloud

Reaction score

Paul said:
Make sure the machine shop doesn't machine the block without your ARP head and main studs installed!!! Changing the fasteners will alter how the clamping force is applied to the main caps and heads (or in this case probably the torque plates) which will change your clearances. If they do it without the fasteners that will be used in the final motor, they'll have to re-do it with the correct ones.

Thanks! I did not know that. I'll shoot an email to my builder and let him know that.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score

No problem man.

I have Oliver rods in my 422 too. :grin: They're awesome.

NXcoupe

Reaction score

McCloud said:
Paul said:

Thanks! I did not know that. I'll shoot an email to my builder and let him know that.
If your builder doesn't know that, well, nevermind.

OP
OP
McCloud

McCloud

Reaction score

NXcoupe said:
If your builder doesn't know that, well, nevermind.

Well I understand that is probably common knowledge for an experienced engine builder, but this is my first time having an engine built. So when someone gives me a piece of advice, I mention to my engine builder. He told me doesn't send the block off until he receives the main and head studs.

NXcoupe

Reaction score

Gotcha. Just figured he would tell you that and the entire plan for the build and machining. That's what I do when I put an engine together for a customer. It educates them and gives them the confidence that their engine project is getting every attention to detail it deserves. Sounds like a really cool build tho. I know about looking forward to this sort of stuff being so far away from my projects myself. Every day I would get on here looking for pics and progress, makes time pass.

brad94GT

Reaction score

i want that block u suck lol jk

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

Nice build! Thats some big $$$$$$$ money parts right there :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
STANGFLOYD

Members online