My car rides like ass sooo....

S

scarface

sʇǝɟ said:
Hook a brotha up Dave!

I'm sure me, my dad, and my uncs can handle it though. But due to some hospital bills I may not be getting shiiit for a while :(
you think the ER bills are bad, dont even think about how much it cost when they say they have to bust them up. Passing a stone is nothing compared to having a stint in you bladder->wiener.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
IRS has it's advantages and disadvantages over the solid axle setup. IRS may weight more as someone has mentioned before, but is has very little unsprung weight, unlike solid axle which is all unsprung weight, so that's better for handling already. Extra weight in the back is probably a good thing for a mustang anyway, because 5.0 cars start off with 58/42 weight distribution and I'm sure mod cars are not that far off as well. Adding weight to the car affects the handling in the bad way most of the times, but better weight distribution will offset the difference, and you can compensate for more weight with stickier or wider tire all around.

Disadvantages: IRS suffers from wheel hop under hard acceleration. Solution lies in removing all the compliance from the cradle, which takes away from the ride and comfort that people are after most of the times they swap in IRS. I've also being told, and read in a few places that because of the geometry constrictions, IRS will not deliver as much traction as a properly setup Torque Arm or 3 link car would.

S

scarface

ReplicaR said:
IRS has it's advantages and disadvantages over the solid axle setup. IRS may weight more as someone has mentioned before, but is has very little unsprung weight, unlike solid axle which is all unsprung weight, so that's better for handling already. Extra weight in the back is probably a good thing for a mustang anyway, because 5.0 cars start off with 58/42 weight distribution and I'm sure mod cars are not that far off as well. Adding weight to the car affects the handling in the bad way most of the times, but better weight distribution will offset the difference, and you can compensate for more weight with stickier or wider tire all around.

Disadvantages: IRS suffers from wheel hop under hard acceleration. Solution lies in removing all the compliance from the cradle, which takes away from the ride and comfort that people are after most of the times they swap in IRS. I've also being told, and read in a few places that because of the geometry constrictions, IRS will not deliver as much traction as a properly setup Torque Arm or 3 link car would.
I agree with what you are saying, However delrin bushings are the best of both worlds on taking out the slop without compromising the ride quality too much. A properly built IRS can handle nicely and and preform well on the dragstrip... most DD guys wouldnt cut better than 1.5-1.7 60ft anyway.

I guess it all in what you really want and can afford. I think Handz suggestion would be your best bet.

OP
OP
F

Fets

Post Whore
Reaction score
I'm gonna keep doing research, thanks everyone! If I can find IRS for sale ill do that, but for now I'm just gonna stick to something simaler to Dals or Handz sugesstions

OP
OP
F

Fets

Post Whore
Reaction score
No I wish it was though, its for sale on SVTP

Reaction score
i was about to say, lol.

why the hell would you wanna sell that! it looks kickass bro!

thats what i was gonna say

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDTag

Members online