need help..... internals

strokergt

Reaction score
got a 97 4v, has stock internals and it spun a rod bearing
im affaid that im gonna have to pull the crank and have it shaved or just buy a rotating assembly.

future plans are a pro turbo 76mm GTS system so i need internals to handle a power range of 800+

any suggestions?

Magic

Reaction score
What is the 97 4v motor out of? Im assuming a Cobra. Even if you have to cut the crank .010 under, you will be ok. Use the stock crank, Get some H-beam Eagle or Manley rods and CP or Diamond forged pistons.

01SportChic

Reaction score
as Magic said, all you need to do is get the crank shaved/polished and get rods and pistons. everything else is strong enough to hold up to like 1k hp. I would just say that I would update all my vacuume lines and whatnot if I went to say 500hp+.

Nice little story : My x had a 74mm on his stock engine, just a polished crank, rods and pistons. Well, while racing one night a vacuume line blew off and he heard major detonation. After that there was a tiny tapping coming from the motor, but the car was running fine so he left it. Well 9 months later he decided to go twin and after he finished the kit, the tapping got a little worse, so he decided to 'freshen up' the motor. Well ends up he basically destroyed his #2 piston from detonation, and the skirts to all the pistons were shrunk. Also, he blew his head gasket between 1 and 2, 2 and 3, and 2 and the waterjacket.

Magic

Reaction score
01SportChic said:
as Magic said, all you need to do is get the crank shaved/polished and get rods and pistons. everything else is strong enough to hold up to like 1k hp. I would just say that I would update all my vacuume lines and whatnot if I went to say 500hp+.

Nice little story : My x had a 74mm on his stock engine, just a polished crank, rods and pistons. Well, while racing one night a vacuume line blew off and he heard major detonation. After that there was a tiny tapping coming from the motor, but the car was running fine so he left it. Well 9 months later he decided to go twin and after he finished the kit, the tapping got a little worse, so he decided to 'freshen up' the motor. Well ends up he basically destroyed his #2 piston from detonation, and the skirts to all the pistons were shrunk. Also, he blew his head gasket between 1 and 2, 2 and 3, and 2 and the waterjacket.

zip ties are the new best friend in that case

01SportChic

Reaction score
Magic said:
01SportChic said:

zip ties are the new best friend in that case

haha true that....but nice locktite steel braided hoses look so nice under the hood! haha j/k...thats something only a rich person can afford

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
strokergt said:
got a 97 4v, has stock internals and it spun a rod bearing
im affaid that im gonna have to pull the crank and have it shaved or just buy a rotating assembly.

future plans are a pro turbo 76mm GTS system so i need internals to handle a power range of 800+

any suggestions?

Stock crank is fine, as was stated, even if it need's turned. The problems are the pistons and rod's, and rod bolt's. Pretty much any aftermarket forged rod is fine, however piston choice come's down to how you want to drive it. Is it daily? Cold climate? Lot's of miles? Need to run pump gas? There are alot of different piston options out there, and how you drive the car determines the piston.

I would suggest calling Livernois, DSS, Coast, VT, or MPH and telling them your goals, they will be happy to guide you through it.

Magic

Reaction score
Jrgunn5150 said:
however piston choice come's down to how you want to drive it. Is it daily? Cold climate? Lot's of miles? Need to run pump gas? There are alot of different piston options out there, and how you drive the car determines the piston.

I would suggest calling Livernois, DSS, Coast, VT, or MPH and telling them your goals, they will be happy to guide you through it.

From what Ive gathered over time, the better forged piston to go with in a daily driver/performance/boost application are the Diamond or CP or ModMax (made by CP).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.