Need help with insurance...

Cpotts13

Reaction score
Alright I feel like my insurance is taking me for a ride...

What I want: Agreed upon value of $17k, roadside.. I drive less than 5k a year, i'm 20, military, car is stored in a garage.

What I have: No agreed upon value (does not have option for specific model, uses regular GT), $1000 deductible, $1300 per 6mo.

I currently have USAA, who else should I be looking at? Who do y'all use?

Sinned83

Reaction score
Auto insurance sucks. It'll get better once your 25+. Maybe you can look into some of the specialty companies since you drive so few of miles. I use geico and I pay about the same as you with all 3 of my cars full coverage.

OP
OP
C

Cpotts13

Reaction score
Auto insurance sucks. It'll get better once your 25+. Maybe you can look into some of the specialty companies since you drive so few of miles. I use geico and I pay about the same as you with all 3 of my cars full coverage.

My main qualm is that they do not have an agreed upon value for my car, they quote it as a GT, even with my vin provided.. If something terrible was to happen and it was a total loss, would they try to give me the value of a GT?! My monthly payment for my car and my wifes 2014 Optima SX, both full coverage, rentals, towing etc is $220 mo..

Sinned83

Reaction score
That's odd mine is noted as a Mach 1. Have you spoke to them about it

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Get that changed asap dude. If God forbid something happens and the car is stolen or totaled, you're ****ed. That might even be against the law, idk if I'm right about that.

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'm with Progressive and have been with them for over 10 years (emerald membership) no accidents or tickets in 6+ years. Married. Age 29. Homeowner. Multi-policy. Multi-vehicle. I pay $96 every 6 months ($16 per month) for the red cobra. I have full coverage (comp+collision) which includes coverage for uninsured/underinsured motorist and a $2000 deductible.

The "agreed upon value" is a rip off unless you can convince them to make you a custom quote, which most places won't do because they just want to plug the VIN into their system, along with your personal info, and create a cookie-cutter policy. Without going to a specialty insurance company, the only way to get the "value" of your car up above what their computer system is going to tell them is to have them put in a value for "Custom Parts and/or Equipment." The downfall to this is that you have to have receipts and/or documentation to back up what you're saying. Luckily I have the documentation for all of the stuff I've done to the car, so they're showing a value of $14k for it on their end.... otherwise, without the custom parts and equipment, their system is telling them the car is only worth around $8k.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You aren't going to get much relief at 20 no matter what you do. Insurance industry considers everyone under 25 an extreme risk so at 25 you get your first break in rates. I remember paying almost $300 a month at your age :(

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
When I had my CSX insured I had done it through Grundy with an agreed upon value of $10K I think (or something around that). I drove it very little and it was garaged. I want to say it was like $130 PER YEAR. I never had a claim so I can't speak to how well they covered me in a pinch. It also wasn't my daily driver.

OP
OP
C

Cpotts13

Reaction score
So I do have an update, hagerty wouldn't insure me because they require the minimum age to be 25, geico for me would be $300 for just my car... :shocked:

So I called USAA to figure out what the heck the deal was. Turns out the vin for all Mach 1's comes up as a GT mustang, so they were not individually vined like cobras. The adjuster stated that although it is registered as a GT, if something were to happen the adjuster would actually do actual cash value of a Mach 1. Plus $2000 for modifications w/ receipts and 20% extra cash (option I chose on my policy).

I feel like that is a bit of closure.. :slowclap:

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
So I do have an update, hagerty wouldn't insure me because they require the minimum age to be 25, geico for me would be $300 for just my car... :shocked:

So I called USAA to figure out what the heck the deal was. Turns out the vin for all Mach 1's comes up as a GT mustang, so they were not individually vined like cobras. The adjuster stated that although it is registered as a GT, if something were to happen the adjuster would actually do actual cash value of a Mach 1. Plus $2000 for modifications w/ receipts and 20% extra cash (option I chose on my policy).

Didnt know that was hagerty's policy.They have great rates. Geico can eat sh** trying to charge you that much! At 25 try hagerty again their prices and policies are great for our cars. Glad you were able to find some closure.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

When I worked in the car biz USAA was hands down the best insurance company my customers used. They used to rave about them all the time.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
I have nothing good to say about USAA.

They screwed me on one of my trucks. So I abuse my roadside assistance. After 1 tow a year on each vehcile i get my money back .... great if you need a DD lol. Geico is pretty good and used them previously.

SCHNAKE

Reaction score
Progressive is owned by George Sorros who funded Obama's campaign so I will never do business with them. I have a 94 Cobra with $30k stated value with no milage restrictions. Give J.C. Taylor Insurance company a call at 1800 345-8290 my premium is $500 a year but I'm old.

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Look into Grundy, Haggerty, or American Collectors. You're kind of stuck with higher pricing due to your age and risk, but your best bet is to shop around. Agreed value is the way to go. These cars don't hold any value and the older they get in an insurance companies eyes you will only get the ACV which will be a joke.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online