New BBK X PIpe Hangs Low

CCobraW

Reaction score
I just got my car back with my new BBK LT's and X Pipe. The car sounds awesome, but the clearance on the X Pipe where it meets the catback/rest of the exhaust hangs really low. I know it's going to be low, but it seems like something is off. Does it look normal??

2rwxo5i.jpg

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
i dont have a BBK... but to me that does look a tad low. hopefully somone with a BBK can give you a better answer. check to make sure youve got it hooked up to the manifolds right

sn95jones

Reaction score
That looks very low, not to mention the bolts don't look like they are lined up 100% either.

OP
OP
C

CCobraW

Reaction score
Where the meet the catback (welding in flows/dumps) the meet at an angle. I got the car not very long ago, and thought about replacing the mufflers cuz they probably been on there since 1998. Do the pre made flowmaster dumps have an angle on the pipe going in to the muffler or do they have the downward bend like my pipes??

sn95jones

Reaction score
They shouldn't, the exhaust should be straight no sagging at all.
You need to get that checked out, that's definitely not normal, mine doesn't look like that and I can go get a picture if I need to

slow90coupe

Reaction score
You need to loosen it up from the manifolds and unhook it from the mufflers. Then you need to have someone push up on the x pipe as hard as they can while you tighten down the bolts. My UPR X pipe fit like that the first time I put it on. Then I took it loose and re-fitted it and now it tucks under the car really nicely.

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
1) loosen the bolts
2) Get a small floor jack and jack up the xpipe.
3) tighten the bolts while the xpipe is jacked up.

Also you can go to a exhaust shop and have them weld some new hangers on there its snug up tight.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I was going to say what Twisty said but he beat me to it. I just did it with my Prochamber, makes a WORLD of difference. With a floor jack you can get it tucked up nice and tight against the underside of the car, just go slow so you don't overdo anything.

OP
OP
C

CCobraW

Reaction score
I'm gonna try jacking it up and retightening the bolts. Here's a pic of the pipes in to the mufflers. Do the already made ones have the bend like these?

16hvgux.jpg

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
I had the same issue.. Tried the jack helped some. Exhaust shop could not do much about it.. Hit on the Trans cross member.. Mine line up perfect after et my engine back. Now my headers hang lower....

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I'm gonna try jacking it up and retightening the bolts. Here's a pic of the pipes in to the mufflers. Do the already made ones have the bend like these?

they can, it just depends on the system. See how your pipes are making a V? you basically want them to be straight across when looking from the side.

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
o wow first pic i didnt even realize you were showing the back of the x pipe lol...

those look like maybe someone welded the intermediate pipes onto the muffler slightly crooked if i had to guess. when i had my old flowmasters i had to twist them a certain amount otherwise id have a sagging issue, then that would also twist my tails so you may want to look into getting a full cat back system. im fairly certain a flowmaster cat back will line up better than that, unless that is a full flowmaster...

it just looks to me like a crooked weld on those intermediate's, they are angled a certain way. yours look up and down to much when they should be side to side, if that makes any sense. just turn the pipe (in your head) 90 degrees and you should see what i mean

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Get a new cat back exhuast .... u said u wanted to replace it .... and besides the poor install, the welds are causing the misalignment

The D3V

Blakonblak94

Reaction score
I agree. The flow tubes goin to the mufflers are incorrect. The bend should be oriented horizontally not vertically.

ChadH95GTS

Reaction score
When I put mine on theu sagged like that but like they said above loosen all the bolts and jack em up so that the X pipe is straight back and not sagging then tighten everything up. I do agree though that your flow tubes look funky. Any exhaust shop will cut em off and reweld you some better ones on or possibly bend those if you want.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
Regardless of the flow tubes it looks like hte X pipe has hanging down towards the rear and I think you'll be able to gain a fair amount of ground clearance.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Staff online

Members online