New Cobra, new problems

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Well I'll tell you this much, if the ABS doesn't function, your trac control won't either. When my rear ABS sensor broke off in the axle, it automatically tripped off the traction control. Zero complaints here lol as I always got in and turned it off

OP
OP
Rizkit32

Rizkit32

Reaction score
Really, I thought that when the abs light was on I couldn't turn off traction control. If its the opposite then that's fine I could care less about the abs light haha

Cpotts13

Reaction score
id say vauum leak for the high idle, and it just sounds like this car needs a really good going through. This is what id do regardless of what has been done:

-trans, engine and gear oil.
-bleed and the brakes, new fluid
-new pads and rotors
-cop, spark plugs and have battery tested and charged
-drain and replace the coolant and thermostat.
-air, oil and gas filter

after all that it should be running like a champ.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just bought a 1999 cobra about a week ago for 4000, which is a pretty decent price. It has 163k on the chassis and the motor was rebuilt and has about 60k on it. It's completely stock. Of course with a car that cheap its gonna have some problems.
1. ABS light is on and I'm not really sure how to get rid of it.
2. Sometimes the odometer just dies out while driving and reappear when it feels like. Sometimes it won't even come back at all.
3. When I start it up it shoots out some gray smoke out of the exhausts
4. This didn't start up until this afternoon, but when I'm idling, I lose all oil pressure but it goes back up when i give it a little gas.
5. The idle is almost never steady
****ALSO i forgot to add, when I tried to punch it, the cars seems like it stops pushing around 4500 rpm + and makes this higher pitched engine rev. IT's hard to describe, but it doesn't sound good.
And when I'm driving and get to a stop, the idle lie to stick up really high like 1500 rpm, and slowly dies down.
What I have done to it so far is clean the air filter and change every single fuse, they were all burnt out

First, did you get a car-fax when you purchased the car?

1) inspect brakes.
-ensure sensors are installed properly (perhaps previous owner hit a light pole and never replaced a smashed sensor during repair)
-does the car have H.I.D. headlights (the funny blue/pink/green colored bulbs?) -- if so, unplug them and see if this removes the ABS light. If so, relocate the ballasts on the HID kit further away from the wheels
-is your fluid low/high?
-did the previous owner install different axles? anything done to the rear-end of the car?

2) does the odometer stop with the speedo? or does one work (speedo) and the other doesnt (odo)?
-this is probably related to the ABS light. inspect the ABS sensors as well as the ring-gear on the spindles (front) and axles (rear) to ensure they are not missing or damaged.

3) is it gray? or white? or blue? it could be burning water. check your oil and coolant over flow tank. do either one of them look like chocolate milk-shake? if they recently did a "upper engine rebuild" they may have installed the headgaskets improperly. Does it do it when driving?

4) as everyone else said - get a real oil pressure gauge on there. the OEM isnt known for being good for anything. lol.

5) replace your intake air control module. it will take 5 minutes and rule out immediately.

6) this doesnt sound good. could be a worn chain tensioner (if they did the upper-engine rebuild, they may have re-used the old ones -- big no-no) or something going wrong in the transmission/diffy. where is the sound coming from? can we get a video of it?

7) replace your IAC (#5) and we can go from there.

8) if ALL your fuses were blown -- we've got big issues. there's something massively wrong with the electrical system of the car. are you exaggerating, or was every fuse really blown? the car wouldnt operate in any way if every fuse was blown.
- take the car to pep-boys (or wherever) and have them test your battery, your alternator and the charging system.
- clean the battery terminals
- inspect your serpentine belt while you're there (stretched belt can reduce the efficiency of the alternator. although this isnt what I think is wrong with your car, check it anyways.)
- inspect the grounds on the car. There's one for the battery (you can follow it from the battery terminal to the body/frame) and theres one for the engine (on my 1996 mustang it was on the drivers side frame, under the car going to an engine mount.)

Things you should do so we can help you:
#1) change the oil.
- is there glitter in it? if so, bad news - this explains the low pressure and the probably the funny rev sound. You've more than likely spun a main bearing. once the bearings are dis-aligned oil flow can be compensated and can cause gauges to read all sorts of strange things (mine read very low at idle, very high at driving). if oil flow is compensated it can change the flow at the top of the engine as well, eating through your cams (which is what i would assume your strange sound is.)

#2) once your oil is changed, replace your IAC (#5 and #7)
- this is a small device on your intake system. It allows the engine to breath air in during idle while the throttle plate is closed. it is *not serviceable* - you can't clean the old one. You have to get a new one.
- this is kind of pricey (~$50.00) but if it fixes the issues, its better than slapping on a home-made band-aid that will only mask the problems with your idle.

#3) clean your MAF and IAT sensors. You can get a can of CNC MAF Cleaner from your local pep-boys (or whatever) for like $4.99.... use this can on both your MAF and your IAT (intake air temperature) sensors. (the IAT sensor is in the inatek pipe after the MAF and before the throttle body.)

#4) inspect your spark plugs -- take pictures so we can look at them. this will tell us if youre running rich/lean/burning water or oil/ etc.

#5) let us know if you have an off-road exhaust (one without cats) or if your cats were gutted/removed.

OP
OP
Rizkit32

Rizkit32

Reaction score
Hey Chris,

I did get the carfax when I purchased it ( one of the main reasons I bought it), completely clean with most service records. I'm pretty sure that I have it lying around somewhere, I'll look for it.
1. Brakes are worn and rotors are getting to the point that they need to be replaced soon as well.
-does have the bluish fog lights, but I doubt that they are real HID's cause they're pretty dim
-Brake fluid is at a normal level
- nothing about the car was modified

2.The speedo will continue to work when the odometer goes out
- will do an inspection on Monday when I have the chance to put it on a lift in autoshop

3. I couldn't really tell you what color the smoke is because I always see it from inside the car and it only does it for a short second and by the time I go to the back its already dispersed. I'll have my friend take a picture/video of me starting it up today.
- Oil is normal see-through goldish color thankfully ( i had that experience with my mom's explorer, not fun)
- Only shoots smoke on start up

4. Will do, eventually. Blew all my money on the car & the remainder of it will be spent on tune up supplies, so I'll hopefully have that in a couple weeks.

5. Will get on that as well next pay check

6. The sound is coming from the engine bay? Will get a video of that later today as well.

7. Next paycheck

8. Ok, I may have worded this wrong. Not all fuses were blown, but they were all "burnt". All the terminals were black and you could tell they haven't been replaced since the car was purchased and they all looked like they were on the verge of going, so I just changed them all out
-I'll check all that when I get in to the shop tomorrow and update.
-Also, there is noting electronically wrong with the car other than the odometer and the abs

9. Changing the oil tomorrow or Wednesday, as well as the spark plugs, will take pictures.
- You're making the IAC valve sound really important, I might just borrow some money and replace it now :undecided:
-Already bought some cleaner, have plans to do it tomorrow :D
-I'm pretty sure its the factory exhaust

Thanks for all the tips, that was a lot of info to process haha

chris91

Reaction score
I dont know why I thought you said you were having speedo problems. Long day I guess. But for the odometer, its normal for them to do that on the New Edge's. Well not normal but its not unheard of. Both of my 99's have done it. I just learned to deal with it. It still keeps track of the mileage so you're fine there.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
#1 - Good, im glad to hear that it wasnt in a wreck... my concern was that it was in a wreck and they just slapped body parts back on and called it good... not repairing any suspension damage leading towards a ABS being out of wack, etc.

#2 - as long as its on a lift, remove the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) on the tail-end of the transmission and clean it with electronic connector cleaner.... it probably wont fix your odometer problem, but its worth a shot since its on a lift anyways. LOL.

#3 - sounds like either condensation in the exhaust from sitting and cooling off, or its burning off oil in the combustion chamber (normal on first start-up.) I wouldnt worry about it unless it keeps doing it heavily during driving throughout the summer... If it does it while driving and its 80* outside, its not condensation and its not just pooled oil from the cylinder walls.... its something else.

#4 - in the same boat my friend. lol. it all costs $$$ :-/

#6 - hmmmm. a video would super help. :)

#8 - i hear ya. maybe check the ones under the hood as well, if the ones in the inside were that bad....

#9 - its not "super important" its just .... frustrating at how crummy the car can run for such a small part....

-----

While the car is on the lift, check out the exhaust. let us know if it has cats or not, and how many o2 sensors it has. :)

OP
OP
Rizkit32

Rizkit32

Reaction score
This is it starting up, I also found out that it does burn a little when I'm driving around but just a little to where its barely noticeable

OP
OP
Rizkit32

Rizkit32

Reaction score
Alright, Plugs changed and oil changed, but boy was it ugly.

These are the plugs, idk if they were ever changed the seals on them were gone

Another pic of the group

Close up- Funny story about that bastard with the little black pieces next to it. So I'm wrenching away at the plugs changing the second to last plug. Start ratcheting away, when I realized that I've been unscrewing this thing for like a minute now but its still not coming out. I try 4 different spark plug sockets and still, nothing changes. WTF. I start freaking out thinking that the something got de-threaded. I bring in my autoshop teacher, and he doesn't understand what the hell is going on. He gives up and tells me to disassemble the entire right side because we would have to re drill the sparkplug hole in the block. By this time I was livid and I wanted to go to the guy who sold me the car and give him a piece of my mind. The dhh interpreter (who is quite auto savvy himself) thought that there had to be something else,the plug couldn't be stripped. he took one of those surgical lights and looked in the plug hole and noticed something strange. He got a mechanical finger and after a few minutes pulled out shards of a zip tie! How in the hell do you get a zip tie lost in there?!?! After that lo and behold, that sucker came right out. It was funny when it happened, you had to be there. That was a lot longer than I thought it would be, haha

Comparison of the new & old

The boots are cashed, added on the fix list

Also ran a computer on my abs system, these are what came up. Any ideas to what these mean?

RichV

Reaction score
Your plugs look OK.

What is the rusty color ring on 5 of the pugs? Are those the plugs with the bunk boots?

OP
OP
Rizkit32

Rizkit32

Reaction score
Those rings are broken seals on the plugs, I was losing compression from there which is why my cobra was bogging so much. The boot is brown because the flame could have been escaping from the seal and slightly burning it.Those plugs were long due

OP
OP
Rizkit32

Rizkit32

Reaction score
It runs 1000000x better, but I still feel like its not where it should be. I definitely think it has more issues to be dealt with. The boots are one of the next things on the list to replace right behind the airfilter. What I want to know what the airbags have to do with the abs not working, that's kinda strange to me

chris91

Reaction score
Wonder how you can find out if it had the recall done on it. Wasnt it ALL 99 Cobra's that were recalled for different Exhaust, Tune and something else?

OP
OP
Rizkit32

Rizkit32

Reaction score
Yeah, but apparently Ford stops carrying the information about cars older than 2000 -_- I went to my local dealership to see if it was ever taken in for the recall on the h pipe and the intake but they couldn't tell me cause my car was 1 year too old. Oh well, that just means time for an exhaust upgrade and a cai!

I didn't hear anything about the tune being off, I'll look in to that. I should be getting a diablo sometime in the distantly near future so hopefully that fixes that :)

greenscobie86

Reaction score
Nice pickup! Looks like your going through it and fixing the little niggles.

Take a picture of you intake manifold, there should be a green or blue dot on it to see if your car had "the fix." there is a more informative post on SVTP about it. I did some reading on the subject and it looks as if a very minuscule amount of 99's didn't have the recall performed so you're likely good to go.

The smoke honestly looks pretty normal, especially for a rebuilt motor.

Looks like a great car, more pics!

OP
OP
Rizkit32

Rizkit32

Reaction score
Thanks! I'll look for that dot tomorrow, where exactly would it be located on the manifold? Tomorrow's wash & wax day so I'll get some good pictures out of it. Don't expect much though, part of the reason I got it so cheap is because of the terrible paint haha

Cpotts13

Reaction score
Thanks! I'll look for that dot tomorrow, where exactly would it be located on the manifold? Tomorrow's wash & wax day so I'll get some good pictures out of it. Don't expect much though, part of the reason I got it so cheap is because of the terrible paint haha

Paint can be fixed super easy though.
And it can be inexpensive if you know how to play your cars right.

My auto body shop class charge for paint only (about $600) and we do the labor for free. We do a good job, we are all certified painters etc etc.

So i suggest doing that!!

OP
OP
Rizkit32

Rizkit32

Reaction score
That's cool, I wish my auto shop was like that, my broke little shop still has hydraulic lifts and 40 year old tools because my school is so broke haha. I was thinking about doing all the bodywork for it and take it to maaco when they're having their $300 special. Either that or get a wrap for it for free if my friend pulls through.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online