New Cobra, new problems

OP
OP
Rizkit32

Rizkit32

Reaction score
Yeah, I just had my friend's da who's a mechanic look at it and even he's stumped. He said the only real way to find out what's wrong is to take it apart. II wish there was a good mustang mechanic down in socal that could tell me what's wrong :(

OP
OP
Rizkit32

Rizkit32

Reaction score
Anybody know the original specs on the factory clutch? I'm trying to buy a replacement but on summit they're all different sizes and have differrent numbers of splines. I'm just looking for an oem replacement kit that'll fit right in.

Would this one work?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/zzz-mu70071-1/overview/make/ford/model/mustang/year/1999

or is something like this better?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/zzz-30019/overview/year/1999/make/ford/model/mustang

I'm trying to get a complete kit with everything I neeed. I'm also gonna get the flywheel resurfaced

Cpotts13

Reaction score
OP
OP
Rizkit32

Rizkit32

Reaction score
Sooo,
Took the slowbra to the shop, found out what is causing my issues! My throw out bearing is hitting up against the flywheel causing the knocking noises, and a bearing in the tranny is completely shot. Engine is fine, but is burning oil because the valve seals are going bad. At this point, I don't have $800 worth on dinero to drop on a new clutch and transmission rebuild, so I'm probably going to just swap in a new transmission if I can find one, or if I can't find one by my graduation, I'm going to pull it out and do it myself!

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Shouldn't be many things different as they came factory in the 2001 Cobra. Perhaps a different bellhousing, shifter and clutch/flywheel? I'm no expert but I'd look into which parts numbers cover each year and check for similarities/differences.

OP
OP
Rizkit32

Rizkit32

Reaction score
well, after doing a swap I learned that that is not a bolt on transmission. The Bell housings are the same relative shape but the mounts are off by about a quarter of an inch,the transmission sits higher into the car, and a couple of other small but tedious changes that were made to just make life difficult :angry4:

cobraracer46

Reaction score
well, after doing a swap I learned that that is not a bolt on transmission. The Bell housings are the same relative shape but the mounts are off by about a quarter of an inch,the transmission sits higher into the car, and a couple of other small but tedious changes that were made to just make life difficult :angry4:

Something is not right. The T45 and TR3650 have the exact same mounting points. The transmission Crossmember mounts and the bellhousing mounts are all the same between the TR3650 and the T45. My guess is that you got your hands on a non mustang transmission.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score

Ok, you got it to work then? What 'tedious changes' were made to fit it? I'm just asking to maybe educate the next guy who comes along with this issue.

OP
OP
Rizkit32

Rizkit32

Reaction score
No, its a ford transmission, it came out of an 02 cobra. I would have done a write up but I didn't take many pictures, but I'll help out anyone interested in any way I can.

Short list of things that had to be modified:
-The 2 guide pins for the transmission on the back of the block were too big so I had to widen the holes on the bell housing.
- The 4 screw mounts on the right side of the housing lined up, but the three on the left were off to the top right by about a quarter of an inch. So I had to drill those out too
- Maybe it might have just been my clutch fork, but it didn't want to grab the ball joint on the tr3650 so I had to bring the clips in and bent them closer together
- The rear transmission mount had to be brought up about an inch, the left about 1/8th more forward than the right, but since its adjustable this wasn't such a big deal.
- lastly the shifter handle sits way up higher and to the left so you kinda have to maneuver the plate that goes over the shifter but that's not that hard either.

chris91

Reaction score
That's odd. I've read quite a few threads and none of those things were mentioned other than the cross member needing some modding. I too will be doing this swap in my 99 soon so I guess I will find out.

OP
OP
Rizkit32

Rizkit32

Reaction score
Good luck man, its quite a challenge haha. What will help out a lot is to pull off the dust cover from behind the flywheel once you have the t45 off and see if all the holes match up on the tr3650. I did this after trying to force the tr3650 in , and that wasn't fun. Make sure everything lines up, take measurements, and do all the needed modifications (if any) before trying to force within :p

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albertmarshall7752

Members online